1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD4870 artifacts on idle

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Swamp Monster, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    I have these artifacts for some time now, but only working on desktop, not in games. But it shows with 3D clocks too when running, for example, ati tool's 3D renderer.
    It shows only when switching applications or when some action is, like right clicking menu.

It happens totally random. For one day It would run ok, but other day it shows artifacts, then few hours later it's good again. I have tried reinstalling drivers, even OS, reseating and it all helps for some time like few months maybe, and then it starts again with same driver that worked well before.

Could be VRAM dieing? I have never OC'ed VRAM, I have manually set cooler to maintain GPU temps about 45°c, except games about 70°c.

It's nothing urgent, I just want to know your opinion of what/why could it be, because it's annoying.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  2. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    what I would try is editing your bios via RBE to only run 3d clocks. I remember my 4870's had artifacts/flashing when power saving was on (bios downclocking for 2d/desktop) i edited the clock profiles to only run 3d clocks and the problem went away. its worth a shot.
    Swamp Monster says thanks.
  3. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    It happens with 3D clocks too and flashing when some action happens on desktop, but I could try changing clocks in ati tool to see what happens.

*edit* it solved the issue, now I have to find what frequency to set to be on the edge of artifacting, because I don't want to run 3D clocks all the time. Have any ideas of why it happens? Card is only 3 years old.

*edit2* I set it back to original clocks and it runs fine again. It's weird, but at least now I know how to fix it.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  4. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    ONLY? 3 years old.

I'd say your lucky to still have it working after 3 years.

Tried different drivers?
  5. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    hes not the only one with a still working 4870 -- my one is in a friends pc
    stinger608 says thanks.
  6. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
    Updating drivers almost every month just to be on date:) I think hardware must work for 3 years with no problems, if not ubnormally stressed