1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD4870X2 GPU1 not going 3D clocks

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by FelipeV, Aug 28, 2008.

1. FelipeV

FelipeV New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I having some issues with my New 4870X2.

My new X2 is not going to 3D clock for its second GPU, its allways at 2D clocks.
    CCC only show one card at overdrive menu.
    [​IMG]

I did try GPU-Z and AMD GPU clock tool, and both show 2D clocks in one of the cards when running 3D, so a I tried forcing 3D clock with AMD gpu tool, but it cant set the clock, give me a error that clocks can be changed.

My first OS is Vista 64, cant install 8-52-2, or 8-52-0, only official 8.8 didnt try yet older versions like 8.7.

Under Vista 32 I was able to install one of the beta drivers, but still the same problem

XP64 the same thing.

Some say it could be my MB, Asus P5B Deluxe (PCI-E 1.1) but why this would keep one of the gpus from going to 3D clocks ? lack of energy in the PCI-E Slot ?

My PSU is a PC Power Cooling 610, brand new.
  2. jaydeejohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive seen this a;; around the web from different forums. Try going into a 3D app and then go back to 2D and see if it doesnt "unstick" itself. Not sure if its a read out problem for the sensors, or actually sticking in 2D until 3D is used. I have yet to see a fix for this, if it isnt just a sensor read gone bad. Thos one guy said his first chip was hotter than his second, even in 2D. I know W1zzard has said ATI changes sensor reads for every new driver, this could be part of the problem. But for now, go into 3D app, go back out, then when you go into 3D again, check to see if its actually reading correctly, as Ive seen others say it does
  3. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've just upped my core to 800MHz.
  4. FelipeV

FelipeV New Member

Thanks Received:
    For that I have to found the missing X2 first, as you can see in the overdrive menu, there is only one GPU there, and should be two.

Gaiward expertool doesnt show nothing in the overclocking tab, its all blank.
  5. molio New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's odd, I'm experiencing exactly the same on my P5B-Deluxe.

Tried loggin the data with GPU-Z but core1 speed kept stuck on low when playin games fullscreen, then I read somewhere that most programs don't report correctly because this card is so new, so I left it at that.

The only program that would report the correct speeds is CCC , but I can't check that when playing a game fullscreen since I have only one monitor hooked up.

I'm intrested to see what other ppl think of this.

EDIT:

Well I have not exactly the same problem, I do see the 2 cores on the Overdrive menu as in pic below, but the 2nd core is always stuck in 2D clockspeeds as far as I can see.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  6. dipsta New Member

Thanks Received:
    the same here guys, any more ideas?
  7. FelipeV

FelipeV New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, after the 10th time reinstalling driver, I got it, there are two GPUs again at overdrive. that under Vista 64.

So, I´ve installed Vista32 on another HD, CAT 8-52-2, and it seens to be working fine, I can confirm that both cores are working at 3D clocks, performance apears to be on pair with what a X2 should do, but now I think PCI-E 1.1 is holding some extra bandwidth.

Clique para ampliar imagem.
    [​IMG]

DMC 1920x1080 8x
    [​IMG]

COJ 1920x1080 4x
    [​IMG]

Crysis VH 1920x1080 e 1680x1050.

My monitor is a 22 inch, but sing gpu scalling and enabling HDTV 1080P60 in CCC I was able to test 1080 resolutions.
  8. KooolaNL New Member

Thanks Received:
    thought i drop this here

if not direct --> flikker screen --> black screen --> pc restarts

Following errors

after reinstalling the ati drivers 50 times and then launching gta boots untill the game and then
    http://kooola.ath.cx:1337/Crap/N95_555.jpg

when playing farcry 2 http://kooola.ath.cx:1337/Crap/N95_556.jpg

and all other games usuallly freeze and pc just restarts

1 time a managed it intoo GTA 4 and this happend http://kooola.ath.cx:1337/Crap/N95_558.jpg

when i run all games below in windowed mode there is absolute no crash @ all

only thing i notice then is that the card's second gpu is using 2-4% resources

and first 100% and the card's clock speed stays 507/500 while it is 750/900

i am about 2 give the card back and step over 2 Nvidia but i wanne give it another shot
    and posting this around in forums hoping i find a sollution for my problem somewhere

KooolaNL any question or tips plz let me know n.boss@live.nl

Games i tested

Test drive unlimited --> doesnt even start @ all
    Left 4 dead --> freezes when joining a server
    Counter strike source --> freezes when spawning
    Half life deathmatch --> when connected 2 server
    Grand theft auto 4 --> after i load a save game
    Farcry 2 --> when game starts
    Need for speed undercover --> @ ea logo

i hope this problem is gonna be fixed soon

or ati is doing it wrong or i am doing it wrong

i see alot of problems on internet about this HD4870x2 Fullscreen problem freeze restart thingy

KooolaNL