1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD5570 vs GT220

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Cvrk, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received:
    First of all I would like to start by saying that this is my first post on this forum. I have read a few discussions here, and noticed that among you are a few decent and smart people. So I decided to post my question here hoping I would get some wise advices.
    Let's get started with the problem at hand.
    I got me an AMD x2 250 CPU (yes its a cheap cpu, and yes I don't have alot of money)slowly trying to get all the pieces for a new computer, and I don't know what kind of video card should I get. My decision for a very long time was the Sapphire Radeon HD5570. Tempting since AMD goes hand in hand with Ati,and not to mention the Pixel Shader v5.0 and Directx11. But I read a couple of reviews and even what you guys are saying this graphics card can't use the full benefits of the directx 11 etc.
    The HD6xxx are much more expensive (in my country) so I was looking at the Gigabyte GeForce GT220.
    The GeForce GT220 has pixel shader v4.0 and only directx 10 ,but it seams to be a bit better than the HD5570 and very important for me in the same price range.
    My first question is, does a AMD cpu have any problem with the GeForce graphics cards ? (at the moment I have amd with ati )
    Second question, does a GT220 can use the full features of the directx 10 ?
    The Third question, just how much the version of the pixel shader makes the difference ? Beside the fact that in the nearby future games will require v4.0 for minimum system requirements, since now the case is v3.0
    If you guys have any other suggestions regarding other graphics cards int he same price range, feel free to say your opinion.
    I would also like to add that I have an 17 inch monitor and I play most of my games in
    1024 - 768 resolution.
    I would like to go a little bit of topic here. I have now in my computer an Ati Sapphire x1550 AGP 512mb 128 bit. shader pixel v3.0 (don't be surprised that its an agp card and it has that shader version) with an AMD Athlon 3000+ and 1GB RAM DDR. Yes its and old computer :ohwell: but keep in mind this I played : Medal of Honour Modern Warfare high settings; MW2 low settings; Call of Duty World at Wor low settings; The Witcher medium and high settings; Mass Effect medium ; ME 2 low; Necro Vision medium; Clive berkers jericho high (man that game sucked). The point is I like to play games and I dont have money to buy a top of the line computer. As long as the game runs and I don't have lag its cool with me :rolleyes:
    So I hope I didn't bore you to death will all this talking. Leave some interesting and helpful comments. Try to help me out here guys.

2. xsever

xsever New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    1:CPU is not related to graphics card in any way but pci exp lanes and thats more to do with the motherboard any way
    2:depends on the game but in most case the settings used will not be high enough to make DX10 that noticeable (even on crysis with maximum you can only just see the difference between DX9/10) to summarise all Dx 10/11 really do is let you have even better graphics then the DX9 maximum so unless your running 8800gt or more you won't see much difference with either
    3: Newer shader versions are better but like DX10/11 its down to whether the game uses them

Which country are you in because in britain you can normally get a GT240/gt430 for £5-£10 more then a Gt 220 and they are both many times more powerful

most of the time people here will normally find you the best thing for the price you want to pay if you tell people where you will get it from (which country,shops etc)

4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Actually, that is incorrect. If your CPU is too weak, it will bottleneck your card. Examples: Radeon 9500 Pro on Pentium III 1GHz, GeForce 9800 GT on any single core AMD K8 CPU.

I will however agree with you that the OP should check out some beefier solutions e.g GT 430/GTS 450, HD 5670/5750, or even a good old 8800 GT/9800 GT/ GTS 250 will get the job done well (be warned that the last three cards may die prematurely due to solder bumps cracking during use).

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Def try to step up to 5650/70. I would stay away from Gforce 220, like others have said a low range 400 series from Nvidia would be much better bet than a 220.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    where did you learn that from (this worries me as my gts 250 runs over 90'c and i dont want the solder to crack)

The problem with the g92 chips is that lately most of the cheap ones seem to be the eco editions and the rest are overpriced

7. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received:
    Between the HD5570 and HD5670 there is a 20 euros difference. I am definitely considering the 5670 now. I just have a question, would the AMD X2 250 that I have will bottleneck the HD 5670?

8. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received:
    Not more then 100 euros for a video card. At the moment I am strongly considering the HD 5670 from HIS. It's around the price of 92 euros I think.
    http://www.pcgarage.ro/placi-video/his/radeon-hd5670-iceq-1gb-ddr5-128-bit/ thats the shop where I buy my stuff from.
    But the manufacturer kinda worries me. I had in the past an HIS AGP Radeon with shader v3.0 ,the thing was my CPU was almoust constantly at 80% 100%, EVEN in idle mode when I wasn't using the computer. Never figured out why that was happening.....now I have basically the same card but from Sapphire, everything runs smooth.
    So what can you tell me about HIS, and make my worries go down a bit if thats the case.

9. overclocker

overclocker

Thanks Received:
    HIS is a good brand, I own lots of them, that 5670 would be perfect for you, at that res of 1024x768 it will be like gaming with a 6870 at a res of 1920x1200.

10. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received: