1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD5770: Which make/model is the best to get - OR - Wait for ATi next gen?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Formula350, Apr 27, 2010.

  1. Formula350

    Formula350 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Messages:
    864 (0.31/day)
    Thanks Received:
    49
    Location:
    Eastern Tennessee
    Well I'm fiiiinnally upgrading from my S939+x1950 pro system, and I was going to run my x1950 until I was able to purchase a 5770, but that came much sooner than I thought it would and now I'm faced with what card to get...

    What I'd prefer/like: A card that has good cooling, can do software voltage mods (volterra preferred, but like the MSI HAWK has a different chip yet still can), doesn't cost over $160 shipped and is a good overclocker. I like to tweak stuff and so anything that will allow me to do that I'd really prefer over something else...

    I'm also juggling the idea of going straight to CrossFire, so if there are cards that have shown to do better in that area compared to others, that would be nice to know! My Gigabyte 890GPA board has 2 slots between the PCIe slots, so I'm not too worried about the top card getting air.

    Then if anyone knows someone getting rid of 2 matched 5770s, I wouldn't be against nabbing a used pair. I would like to get ones that aren't from like a first release, and the newer cards are of a different PCB revision. But money talks and if they are priced right, I'd overlook that haha I'm just getting a brand new system, so I'd like to get the almost latest... ya knowatta'mean, Vern? :laugh:


    HOWEVER!!! Would I be better off waiting till 2H'10 for AMD's refresh/possible HD 6000 series? I've extended my out-of-town visit/vacation, since I'm helping my friend with work and am getting paid, till May 23rd. So I won't even BE by my computer to use it. Then I'll be going on actual vacation, and to spread dad's ashes, mid July to early Aug... So I again won't have my computer and could put off a purchase...

    The more I think about it, the more that sounds like a better idea, but AMD was "ready" to roll out the 880/890 chipset months and months ago, and only really released the 785G until the more recent 890GX which it is based off of... Dunno, just been forever since I upgraded and I miss playing current games, as I have kinda gotten into NFS: Shift which my x1950 can NOT (well on my S939 at least) play at any respectable frame rate or resolution :( I'd also love to play DiRT 2 and maybe some other games :rockout:

    Thanks!
     
  2. WhiteLotus

    WhiteLotus

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    Messages:
    6,554 (2.45/day)
    Thanks Received:
    857
    To be honest, if you are thinking about going for the 6xxx series when ever that might be, you may as well get a 5750 card. I mean they perform reasonably well, very low power consumption and if you get the right one (HIS are VERY quiet) you wont regret it. Plus at £110 odd they aren't too bad (yes I know you are in the states and i'm sure you can find a good place to buy it from). Then when the 6xxx come out, sell it for half price and get one of them. It wont be a mega investment, will save you power whilst still giving you fine performance.
     
  3. JATownes

    JATownes

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1,833 (0.83/day)
    Thanks Received:
    442
    Location:
    Texas
    My rule on upgrading: There is ALWAYS new tech "right around the corner", so if you have the money, go with what you can now. Playing the waiting game is a never ending process. Running an X1950? You deserve an upgrade. The 5000 series cards are amazing, the PII x4 & x6 are awesome too. Grab a full upgrade now, and enjoy for the next year or two. Then upgrade to the "7000" series when the time comes.
     
  4. WhiteLotus

    WhiteLotus

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    Messages:
    6,554 (2.45/day)
    Thanks Received:
    857
    This is a very good idea, plus I don't see how the 6xxx will be MUCH better than the current 5xxx. In such a short space of time.

    If you do a system overhaul, then make it as future proof as you can, I know that a good AMD board will allow you to go quad, and when the time comes, go for 6 core.
     
  5. Formula350

    Formula350 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Messages:
    864 (0.31/day)
    Thanks Received:
    49
    Location:
    Eastern Tennessee
    Yea, I know :\ It is just the fact that if a 5770 replacement comes in 6000 flavor, either the price will drop substantially on the 5770 and I could've saved $30-50 (which would be /ea if I went CF) or the "6770" would be quite a bit faster for about the current price of the 5770... And as I said, I won't really have but ~3 weeks of play time with my current system since I extended my stay here in Minnesota (my computer is at home in Tennessee).

    I DID just do a full overhaul though. I was running S939 A64 X2 3800 @ 2.9GHz with 2GB DDR1 :ohwell: + That x1950 which could just play Race Driver GRID reasonable @ 1680 and I think only 2x AA heh I got a GB 890GPA-UD3H, 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR3-1600 7-7-7 and now from cdawall an 555BE which can do 4.2GHz (and Gigabyte just released a new BIOS which seems to allow core unlocks!). So aside from HDDs and CDRom, all that is really surviving from my old system, is the x1950 heh Even my PSU is upgraded which was from like 2003/04!!
     
  6. JATownes

    JATownes

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1,833 (0.83/day)
    Thanks Received:
    442
    Location:
    Texas
    Sorry. That first line of your first post implies you are still running the S939. Now I understand. I retract my previous statement. Grab a video card or wait for the 6000 series, it is up to you (and appears you are planning on waiting). But what happens when, right before the 6000 series launch, the 7000 series are rumored? Or what if there is a delay on the 6000 series (think fermi delay). I say grab it when you have the cash and upgrade when it quits pushing the games you want to play.
     
  7. Fourstaff

    Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2009
    Messages:
    9,204 (5.04/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,985
    Location:
    Home
    I see more than a month's gap between going back home and going off for a holiday again. I would upgrade then, but if you can put off a purchase till early August, I think you can get a better buy then. My advice is to keep an open mind (and wallet) so that when a good deal happens to float past your nose, you are in a position to grab it. Otherwise wait till end of August, and think about buying a 5xxx card rather than a 6xxx card which is rumoured to come out then.
     
  8. Formula350

    Formula350 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Messages:
    864 (0.31/day)
    Thanks Received:
    49
    Location:
    Eastern Tennessee
    Worded it that way since I still would like to get a vid card, so it is still an "in progress" upgrade, even though it could easily be considered complete since the board has an IGP...

    As for the "what about/what if" 7000 series, I wouldn't wait that long :p If the 6000 does come out between now and Aug, then I will probably consider getting whatever comes out equivalent to the 5770. If it is more than what the current price of 5770 is though, I will either get the X750 variant or grab 2 5770s as their price will have no doubt dropped. But if come Aug, there is still no 6000 line, or it is still a month+ away, I'll just get a 5770 or maybe just a 5750 to tide me over and then sell that to my neighbor (who is just rocking his 785G IGP currently as it was a HUGE upgrade from his S754 IGP lol) and nab the 6000 variant when it arrives.

    Still though, assuming there is no release in this time frame, I would still need to know what would be the best model to go with (5770 that is). The XFX, MSI HAWK/Frozr (who came up with that spelling?!), Sapphire Vapor-X, Asus CoreCu-whatever, or just go with a plain-jane model? I'm leery about those $125 Powercolor models... I mean I suppose if it was just a stop-gap till a 6000 series, it might not be bad to get for that time frame, but I haven't really seen anything about them as it seems everyone else is staying away from them too :laugh:

    But I agree with futureproofing, as that is what I did with my system. Got a C3 CPU so I can stick 4 sticks of DDR3 @ at least 1333, motherboard that is capable of Thubans (which sadly I find out after the fact, that 790/785 (more?) support Thubans) and this time around made sure I can CrossFire lol I was ignorant before by going nForce4 only to find out only SLI (with out hacks/what have you). Also got SATA6 and USB3! Plus an IGP in the off chance a video card craps out :p
     
  9. mdsx1950

    mdsx1950 New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2009
    Messages:
    2,107 (1.15/day)
    Thanks Received:
    413
    Location:
    In a gaming world :D
    X1950 => 5770

    Very good upgrade. You'll feel a big difference :)

    And if your upgrading your processor get the X4 965 or a X6. Since it has a pretty low price on it and great performance.
     
  10. JATownes

    JATownes

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1,833 (0.83/day)
    Thanks Received:
    442
    Location:
    Texas
    Sounds like you have your mind made up to wait. So to answer your other question, I recommend the XFX or Visiontek cards, simply for their warranty.
     
  11. phanbuey

    phanbuey

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2007
    Messages:
    5,207 (2.02/day)
    Thanks Received:
    975
    Location:
    Miami
    Why not just get a used 5770 somewhere? then you can CF.

    Forget about waiting for the 6-series. Only wait on upgrading if you don't NEED to upgrade. Like if you had a gtx 280 kicking i would say wait since you dont NEED to upgrade. But since you're kicking it with an IGP, just pull the trigger and find the best deal you can find on a 5770 (quite alot of these refurbed and used running around as people upgrade) and pull the trigger.

    Also, I would recommend a reference card since the VaporX /super-duper cooler editions are usually a waste on midrange cards and cost more $$ than the reference. Just IMO tho...
     
  12. Formula350

    Formula350 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Messages:
    864 (0.31/day)
    Thanks Received:
    49
    Location:
    Eastern Tennessee
    Yea, I know the 5770 would be leaps and bounds better than my DX9 era card :S Sure I'd love to get a 5830 (too expensive for it's performance IMO) or 5850/70, but given what I have and plan to play, this will make me really happy. Plus the ability to just throw in another 5770 and get one helluva performance boost, perfect :p

    I've already got a 555BE from cdawall that can do 4.2GHz and can unlock to an X4 (pretty sure X3 @ 4.2GHz as well), so while I'd like an X6, the $210 cost right now is not worth it, even if I didn't have a 555 and did have a vid card :p


    I'm not for sure waiting, because if I can find a good deal on a card, I'll gladly snap it up! I haven't seen many Visionteks around. And while it's been awhile since I actively kept up on video cards, I thought Visiontek left the North American market?


    I stated that I would be fine with a used one AND that I would like to CF, either right away or in the near future.

    As far as pricing goes, while I've only really looked through NewEgg, the difference in price between an XFX and like the HAWK, is only a few dollars! Powercolor still has everyone beat in terms of price goes, but that heatsink they used just doesn't do it for me :shadedshu Erocker has an XFX for sale (or did) and I've been debating that, but I might think too long and miss it :ohwell: If I was home, I'd more than likely have snapped his up in a heatbeat! That is the only real reason why I've waited on a purchase, because I'm 3 weeks away from being home where I could even use it.
     
  13. kaneda

    kaneda

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    Messages:
    161 (0.06/day)
    Thanks Received:
    13
    my HD 5770 comes today, replacing my X1950pro XD
    can come anytime between 7:30am and 12pm. its 2:20am. refuse to sleep incase i sleep in.
     
  14. mdsx1950

    mdsx1950 New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2009
    Messages:
    2,107 (1.15/day)
    Thanks Received:
    413
    Location:
    In a gaming world :D
    Enjoy! :toast:
     
    kaneda says thanks.
  15. btarunr

    btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    Messages:
    28,869 (11.07/day)
    Thanks Received:
    13,716
    Location:
    Hyderabad, India
    Buy the PowerColor PCS++. Next-gen is too far away.
     
  16. JTS

    JTS New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2009
    Messages:
    144 (0.08/day)
    Thanks Received:
    32
    Location:
    Brisbane
    Very true. personally I got tired of waiting for 'maybe due whenever' 6xxx series release or a refined and cheaper GTX 4xx so I snapped and ordered a 5970 today.

    The fact is - Umming and ahhing is a PITA, new toys are always good for awhile just as when the next GEN are finally released, you will always feel a little disappointed that you didn't wait.

    However if you keep waiting, you'll never buy anything. Catch 22 and technology - you gotta love it :ohwell:
     
  17. francis511

    francis511

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2006
    Messages:
    2,547 (0.86/day)
    Thanks Received:
    271
    Location:
    N.Ireland
    5770 now makes sense. Thought about nvidia ?
     
  18. Formula350

    Formula350 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Messages:
    864 (0.31/day)
    Thanks Received:
    49
    Location:
    Eastern Tennessee
    Well that was one thing I was skeptical about on the PowerColor. I know they are a good brand, but the fact they have their card at $125 makes me wonder what they skimped on to GET it that cheap... Also the one review I've read about it said that the heatsink on there does a HORRIBLE job at cooling and the 5770 runs pretty toasty because of it...

    Well yea, I generally am not one to bother waiting for something new to pop up, except I'm wanting to make sure what I get will either be good enough to last me as long as my damn S939+x1950 has, or manage to tide me over till the ATi GPU refresh (which is supposed to occur in the next month or two [2H'10] according to an article from one of the AMD big wigs) in which case then I'd get whatever the 5770 equiv is. If it's just a shrunken die 5770, or actually a 6770, either is fine by me!

    That's the only reason I'm wondering if I should wait, was just wondering if people had any info on what the refresh was going to provide, making it worth the wait since I really won't be around but a month where I can use my PC...


    Too expensive, too hot, too power hungry and with all the antics nV has been pulling I am not really interested in anything they have to offer :ohwell: Do I think the 470 and 480 are decent products, sure. I just don't think they offer all that much when you factor in the price. The only real way to go with the 470/480 is with two, and that is just absolutely not a financially feasible option lol Unless someone is willing to sell me 2x 470s for $250 ;)
     
  19. Fourstaff

    Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2009
    Messages:
    9,204 (5.04/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,985
    Location:
    Home
    No point waiting, if you see a good buy, get it. Otherwise, sit back and wait patiently. Or, you can get erocker's XFX 5770 @ $140 IMHO a rather good buy.
     
  20. Formula350

    Formula350 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Messages:
    864 (0.31/day)
    Thanks Received:
    49
    Location:
    Eastern Tennessee
    I have been contemplating doing just that heh I haven't been able to find out if that model can do software volt mods though :ohwell:
    This is what erocker hit me back with for the actual model, in case anyone else knows...
    Model No: HD-577A-ZN
    Part No: HD-577A-ZNFR
     
  21. erocker

    erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    Messages:
    39,897 (13.07/day)
    Thanks Received:
    14,306
    It uses the same voltage regulator as this card: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5770/4.html

    I'm still uncertain if Afterburner would work.
     
  22. Formula350

    Formula350 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Messages:
    864 (0.31/day)
    Thanks Received:
    49
    Location:
    Eastern Tennessee
    Well... I think I'm going to get that MSI 5770 HAWK, because NewEgg has them OpenBox for $134... I'd like to get 2 right now, but I think I'm actually going to hold off for now. Unless some folks have had some bad experiences from OpenBox items from NewEgg?
     
  23. Fourstaff

    Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2009
    Messages:
    9,204 (5.04/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,985
    Location:
    Home
    I heard open boxes are usually good. If you are going for 2x5770s, you might as well go for a 5850, just as powerful and half the hassle.
     
  24. Mr McC

    Mr McC

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2010
    Messages:
    1,248 (0.74/day)
    Thanks Received:
    323
    I agree, get a single card that offers more or less the same performance as the two cheaper cards in crossfire, i.e. buy a 5850.
     
  25. Paintface

    Paintface New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2008
    Messages:
    389 (0.17/day)
    Thanks Received:
    73
    5770 Vapor X

    Will be an excellent upgrade which you wont regret at a great price.

    Dont debate , order now!
     

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page