1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD6950 2GB reference cleaning

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by _ALB_R3D X, Apr 28, 2012.

1. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm goin through maintenance these days,cleaning my system,redoing cable management etc...
    The only thing I'm stuck right now is VGA cleaning:eek:
    I never opened a graphics card mainly because I never used the same one for more than 6 months,but this time I think I'm in love(with both of them):rockout:
    I tried before opening one of my reference 6950 but something didn't let me finish at the back of the card!I just wanted to remove the cover not the whole HS and check if dust deposited in there...Been googling for the past hour but can't seem to find a tutorial,video,hint or anything about opening a reference HD6950...
    Anything is appreciated
    Thx in advance
  2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    You can clean it just by blowing air backwards threw the vents. If its still under warranty it will void it to take it apart. Otherwise go for it. I'm sure there are youtube videos galore on the subject
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well if the cooler is like the 6970 ( which i think it is ) the whole thing comes of as a block and their is clips around the sides that need to be pushed in for it all to un-clip.

Watch out it is not hard to break those clips either and IF it's still under warranty just use a can of air and blow the dust towards the fan this way if blocked will hopefully push the dust towards the fan and might need some thing to move clumps of dust too as it might not just fall out.
  4. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think warranty is a problem cause I don't see stickers get in the way...can't seem to find any videos either:wtf:
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Really no videos? Im at work so I cant look. Try searching for other cards that are similar
  6. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've done the un-clip part but at the end of the card there are no clips and it is exactly there that the cover is being held...(pic below)

Attached Files:

7. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bump for help...
  8. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    my first guess would be there might be a screw under the fan sticker that you might need to take out. feel the sticker to see if you can find a little indent. If not, then im stumped.
  9. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    The part I cannot remove(below)doesn't show any sign that there might be a screw somewhere...

Attached Files:

10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    There is no screw...there is another clip, made of red plastic, behind and above the PCIe power plugs. ;)
    xvi says thanks.