1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD6950 Dying?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by ArmoredCavalry, Mar 20, 2011.

1. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last week Bad Company 2 had a punkbuster update that caused the game to crash if you were running a program like MSI Afterburner, or Sapphire Trixx.

So, I closed Trixx and played BC2 for a couple hours without issue. Now, the problem is, in other games, I'm getting artifacting followed by the entire PC crashing. This only happens every so often, but it happens in any game I've played.

My temps are normal (<75C), and I have the stock HD 6950 bios flashed to the card, but the artifacts still show up...

Any clue what the issue could be, or has anyone else had this with their HD 6950?

My theory is that when CCC took over as auto-fan control, it let the gpu get too warm, which caused some damage to either the vram, or gpu itself. :(

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Put the OSD Server of those programs, and programs like Rivatuner and EVGA Precision into Stealth mode to get around the PB issue. I can verify that works on EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner as those are the two utilities I use the most.

But even on auto, the GPU shouldn't get taken out that easily. Maybe reseat the HSF? Reseat the card in the PCI-E slot, reinstall drivers, make sure power connections are secured, what does OCCT Artifact testing come up with? I don't know how good newer Antec PSU's are, but my older Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W modular PSU that I gave a friend just crapped out...but only under GPU load...cpu/mem load it's fine, movies, fine, 3d/games...crash.

Can't you set the fan speed manually in CCC now with the newer CCC/Drivers?

ArmoredCavalry says thanks.
  3. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hm, Sapphire Trixx doesn't have an OSD, or settings for it (as far as I can tell).

I'll have to try running OCCT and see what happens. Fairly sure the PSU is ok.

You can set the fan speed manually (to a single constant speed) in CCC. That is what I did after the first time I ran it on Auto with CCC, and discovered the temps were getting up to ~90c

Edit: Ran OCCT for an hour @ 1920x1200 max shader complexity, got 0 errors. Went to play Shogun 2 Total War, and it crashed within 5 minutes... -_-

Edit 2: Ran furmark, which resulted in a crash 1 minute and 51 seconds in:
    [​IMG]

The crash is exactly what happens in games (Shogun 2, Monday Night Combat, etc.)... Basically, colored diagonal pixels (purple-ish and white). At this point, I have to do a hard reset.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011