1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD6950 mini Display port Eyefinity.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Iceni, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    Hey people I'm looking at progressing my monitor setup for eyefinity.

Currently I'm running a single HD6950 with the shader tweak in place. It has 1xHDMI, 2xDVI, 2xmDP.

What is the best way to go about getting the eyefinity setup. The monitors I will be using are LG IPS277L link.

The monitor only has VGA or HDMI inputs. I like the monitor tho, It ticks a lot of boxes for me and I already own 1. I know not having the DVI input is a bit of a gimped setup but it's something I have to work with since I want a matching desk.

This leaves me with a problem.

I either go.

DVI to VGA convertor
    HDMI
    DVI to VGA convertor.

Or attempt to go

mDP to HDMI active convertor
    HDMI
    mDP to HDMI active convertor.

Is the setup even capable of doing the second option. If not am I best to stick with the original DVI to VGA convertors. The VGA option is cheaper, And since I can use the HDMI monitor as the middle monitor I don't think IQ should be overly problematic. I may be wrong tho.
  2. Suhidu

Suhidu

Thanks Received:
    You can't even do the former setup on a 6950. Reason being, on AMD cards only two monitors can be non-DisplayPort. If you want three monitors, at least one has to be DP. If that DP-connected monitor is non-native DP, it has to be connected with an active convertor to a digital port (HDMI or DVI).

The only exception to this that I know of, is if you have a Sapphire brand FleX card. They allow the use of EyeFinity setups utilizing 2xDVI and 1xAnything

Here's my source: http://www.amd.com/us/products/tech...Pages/faqs.aspx#multiple-display-requirements
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    Iceni says thanks.
  3. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for that :D

This is my first time with more than 2 monitors :D

Looks like I'll be forced to go either

HDMI
    DVI to VGA convertor.

Or

HDMI
    mDP to HDMI active convertor.

Anyone know of a decent mDP to HDMI convertor, I've seen a lot of people have trouble with them dropping the screen now and again.
  4. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
  5. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    I am pretty much in the same boat I have 2x VGA monitors and a dvi monitor so I need to get an active adapter before it will work.
  6. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Law-II I'm afraid been in the UK none of the links offer me a site i can buy from :D

It should be sorted tho. I'm going to go to a local Etailer and pick one up from them it's only £8. If it works I'll grab a second one. If it doesn't i can take it back and explain the problem :D Either way it's not going to leave me out of pocket. Seems they had them all allong but the cable section has 2 options. VGA and Adapters. The mDP stuff falls in the Adapters section and i had overlooked it.
  7. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    It has to be an ACTIVE adapter for £8 it's probibly a passive one.
  8. Iceni

Thanks Received:
  9. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  10. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    There all DVI output LAW-II I can't use them with my monitor. I already did the same thing for the HDMI output models and got only a few hits from ebay international. Chances are the HDMI UK part numbers are modified. I'll test this eclipse one. If it works we have a winner, If not then I'll go find an AMD approved one from overclockers, There is a HIS one on the site that should work, I can however just drive up to eclipse and have the answer by this afternoon :D It's only round the corner from me. I'd normally get parts from Novatech, I like the customer support they offer a lot more, and they have messed me about on 0 occasions unlike eclipse.
  11. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    The cheaper "active" ones support up to 1080P while the expensive ones support higher resolutions.

Look for "active" and "Eyefinity" support in the product description and it should work fine up to that resolution. StarTech, HIS, Sapphire, and PowerColor all sell these adapters (looks like the same OEM is making them). I bought a PowerColor one and it worked out fine for me when I tried out Eyefinity with Crysis on my 5870 a while back with my main monitor and two others with different resolutions. I used a 1920x1080, 1680x1050, and a 1280x1024... final resolution was really odd but the game and Eyefinity worked fine ;)
    Iceni says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  12. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Iceni says thanks.
  13. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    Well I picked up the Eclipse one, It's working as intended :D

I have to wait now till I get paid for the other 2 monitors, but i can't wait :D

Thank you for all your help so far, If this dongle develops a problem in the near future I'll post up the problems.
    Norton and Law-II say thanks.