1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDD clicking issue (not dead it seems)

Discussion in 'Storage' started by satelitko, Sep 13, 2011.

1. satelitko

satelitko

Thanks Received:
    OK, I have a little issue. We just bought an MSI CX623 as a general use laptop. The problem is, that the HDD clicks when it's in use (read/write), and I had it freeze on me one time. I've ran the S.M.A.R.T. test on Western Digital Data Lifeguard, and most of the values are above the threshold, so it shows a 1 under warranty. Is that grounds to get a replacement from the store, or should I run the extended test first? I've never had to deal with a clicking (but still working 95% of the time) drive... most of the clickers I've dealt with were dead...

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    clicking is never a good thing, though it may not be fatal.

either way, back up your info and try and get it replaced. the noise and the fact that it randomly causes freezing should be reason enough considering it's under warranty.

satelitko says thanks.
  3. satelitko

satelitko

Thanks Received:
    The problem is that the test says PASS, when three of the thresholds were tripped. Well, I'll try and get it replaced tommorow :) Thanks for the reply.

4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    and it could last for months or years like that. clicking doesn't mean imminent death, but it does mean manufacturing defect.

satelitko says thanks.
  5. Black Flag

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem before a month ago, with a 2 TB Caviar Green. After trying full format which was never completed the HDD died. I send it for RMA and received a new one.

satelitko says thanks.
  6. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    I have a laptop HDD in my system and it clicks very often and the system "micro hangs" when happens, I think it's parking the head so not bad but it's annoying.

satelitko says thanks.
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Laptop drives park the heads to conserve power, this can cause an audible click as well as slight system hang as the drive unparks the head and looks for the data. WD drives in particular are really agressive with how often the heads are parked.

satelitko says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. satelitko

satelitko

Thanks Received:
    The weird part is that it does it during normal operation, which should have the drive engaged almost all of the time. Hmmm... I'll have it replaced either way, as the tripped SMART statistics worry me as well. Thanks for all the responses :)
    btw, is there any way to prevent the parking? I thought it did that only when the drive was unpowered. As I've set it to never unpower the drive.

9. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I've run into a clicking HDD once and it was dead a couple of days later. Thankfully it was my system drive so no data was lost.

That being said I've had a couple of laptop drives go dead without warning, not even SMART, so don't rely entirely on it to determine if a drive is healthy.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    I think mine also does it when using though I am not 100% sure

Let's see if the new one don't do it :) is yes then is the parking thing lol

11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Might be the HDD getting to hot which in turn coursing the clicking which will kill it. Or might be just plain faulty. As seen as you have a laptop and you not been using it on a bed so it cannot breath you might want to get a replacement.

If it is a heat issue you might want to invest in a laptop cooler.

12. satelitko

satelitko

Thanks Received:
    Seeing as it's brand new, and I'm using it on a surface... it shouldn't be heat :D

13. Wester547 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The hard drive parking its heads after activity or/and a short length of time is also a form of advanced power management that's used to conserve power and reduce heat. Only qualm I take with it is that it causes said heads to park more than I think they should, which might end up in wear and tear on the heads (and therein an unnecessary increase of load_cycle_count, or rather the unloading and loading of the heads) and premature HDD death. I agree that Western Digital (along with Seagate, possibly even more, in my experience - Western Digital hard drives might park their heads after 8 seconds of inactivity, but modern Seagate drives have for me after 2-3 seconds with APM on!) are quite aggressive with this approach, though they're not the only HDD company to do this (but it would depend on the model as well). If it's a Scorpio Blue or Black drive (due to being a laptop drive) you might be able to download a third party app like HDDScan or CrystalDiskInfo and disable APM (which should do away with intermittent clicking), though it might result in a slightly higher idle temperature for your hard drive due having the disk spin in a more unending manner. However, not all Western Digital hard drives can be recognized as having APM by such applications, in which case you would have to download an executable known as widle.exe and write it to a bootable disk, and you could disable the "idle timer" that way, though that voids the warranty and firmware. But make of note that Windows applications like the aforementioned do not permanently change the settings of the hard drive (you would have to turn off APM again after rebooting... you could try writing something like Hitachi Feature Tool to a permanent disc if you wanted to permanently change it but I don't know how well that supports WD hard drives so I'm not sure that should be risked).

I'm not necessarily suggesting doing any of this to begin with as I believe there is always a risk with messing with low-level hard drive settings along this nature, though if you know what you're doing (which I imagine you do), you should be fine. If the clicking doesn't bother you that much, I think you would be alright continuing as you are. Then again, if the hard drive once froze on you during transfer, I would worry about it being defective. D: But it sounds like you're going to replace it anyway, which might be ideal.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
    satelitko says thanks.