1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDD constant activity even on idle

Discussion in 'General Software' started by monographix, Apr 21, 2007.

1. monographix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now, if anyone had something similar happened before :

I copied (used Acronis) the partitions from my previous PATA drives to new SATA ones (my first ever SATA, one of them hosting the OS is a 36G WD Raptor), distributed them as i wanted and all worked fine. Except that now, the Raptor which holds only the windows partition, is being constantly accessed (i see that there are constant writings actually). I double checked all services of the indexing kind and they are disabled (even the NTFS LastAccess thing). Its more evident by the sound (Raptor.....) but the led action is there too

From a first fast digging as to what files are being constantly changed i spoted ntuser.dat.LOG being periodicaly changed in filesize right when some of the idle HDD activity noises are taking place . Will monitor later when i have more free time to see what other files are being changed (filesize)

Any ideas? It just started happening after i transfered my data to the new SATA drives from my previous PATA ones. Search and destroy, Adaware and kaspersky are coming up clean ... Is that maybe normal and its just that Raptor being noisy makes it now noticeable?

Thanks

| X2 4400+ | XP SP2 | ASRock 939SLI32 (ULi) | 2GB DDR400 |