1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDD Corrupt

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by freaksavior, Mar 19, 2007.

1. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Ok so this morning i get up and get on my computer and almost all the icons are missing file icons, i go and click on the :d drive and it says file system is corrupt, i went to device manager and disk management, then went to PM 8 and it said the same thing, the disk drive is fine, and that about half is used,

i go do a chkdsk and i get this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

should i just say screw it and reformat it? I have my save games profiles on it, and don't really want to lose them, i got about 10 hrs in oblivion, not much but still alot of gameplay imo

thanks for the help in advance.

Aj

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You seem to have(been having) a lot of problems lately (as of late). Are you sure you don't have a Virus/spyware problem. Have you updated your anti-virus/spamware detection and/or firewall. Go to the Windows site and download the Maliciouse Software Detection/removal tool and try that. Possibly your motherboard could have some issues/problems, could also be (always was) the HDD going (gone) bad.

3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It tells you the exact problem, use chkdsk /f
    If that doesn't fix it I would recommend running DFT (drive fitness test) on the drive.

4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    try spin rite but first dude i just got done doing this cause my hhds fd up...

boot on the xp disk into repair mode (recovery console) in their..

type chkdsk /r

it will look like this

C:\ Windows> chkdsk /r

that command will repair and scan for bas sectors..it takes a long time but iv only been up for 5min i really just got doing this on all my drives took 6-7 hours for all my disks total i also did

fixmbr

fixboot

just incase im running smooth then when you boot incase you set windows to do it at next boot go into your drives and delete bootstat.txt or something like that or else it will always try to do diagnostics at boot.

5. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Chkdsk /r in the recovery console is the same as chkdsk /f in the command prompt. Since he can boot Windows there is no reason to use the recovery console, for the same reason rewriting the mbr is rather pointless.

6. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    well I'm sorry Dan, but when you have years worth of work on an hdd you don't care how pointless a command is espesially when it says something to the affect of "your master boot record seems to be modified or corrupted". When you get that you kinda don't care making a new one just seems to be a good idea. As for recovery console I was hoping running off of a disk would work because their is a chance he might not get a read only error seeing as he is not currently working off of the hdd. Not entirely sure but its a thought, and a much more effective step tword helping him than the space you just wasted with a post directed tword telling me I'm wrong about something that hasn't been tried.....or did he say he already had?

7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The read only message is normal, it means he doesn't use the /f switch (or /r in the recovery console) When you use /f on your system disk from within windows it will simply ask you to scan upon next boot, reboot and it will scan.

8. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    sh^t
    is today the "everyone hdd gets fked up day"?
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

9. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Yes PT every1 hdd is getting screwed today, i noticed you were having a problem with your hdd,

@ nameless

you are right......i have been having some bad luck, my dual core mobo decided it doesn't like me, so i got back to a p4, now my hdd decides it doesn't like me.

Yes i have anti virus, i have norton 2007, and i also have spy bot S&D

ok, i'll run chkdsk /r

thanks for all the replies, i'll post back after i'm done watch star trek, and it's finished

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    ok, ran chkdsk : D and it gives errors can't read sectors,

ran chkdsk /r and didn't work.

I have some school stuff on the drive that says it is "corrupt" i don't HAVE to have it but if i can recover it then that would be great!

Thanks

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Try a full test using DFT. It could perhaps fix the problem, or tell you your disk is defective. Either way it's nice to know before it fully fails.

12. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    what's DFT?

13. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    I ran the WD DLGD (western digital data life guard diagnostic) and it failed on the first test so 0/3

i think i will just have to reformat it, some sector probably got screwed up!

Crunching for Team TPU