1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

hdd getting smaller and smaller

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Damian^, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    On my old computer I had a Seagate 250GB 7200.10 hdd that ran flawlessly but something i did notice (months later) was that every time i would check on it (my computer) it would lose space. Sometimes it would be a 1gig other times it would be over 20GB.

I thought my drive was dying but I didn't worry much since i planned on doing a complete overhaul anyways.

So now I have a Seagate 1TB 7200.11 HDD and its been fine except now its doing the same thing as my old drive. Just this morning i had around 930GB of free space. Then later on I did some stuff such as using windows disk clean-up, CCleaner. And then I check my HDD space and its at 812GB...oh what do you know as i was typing this thread i checked back and now its at 817GB.

Anyone know whats going on with these drives, its obviously a user error :rolleyes:
  2. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    is this free space or total space?
  3. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    free space

now its saying 813GB free of 931GB
  4. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Disable system restore on that drive ... ;)
    Damian^ says thanks.
  5. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmm, do you have alot of programs doing auto update,,even thought theres no way it could ever take up that much space....degfrag it and remove system restore
    Damian^ says thanks.
  6. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    It worked, thanks both of you :)
  7. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    dude that has nothing to do with the drive its self then :) when you have an error, it has free space beyond what you see and then it will start using that instead for the cluster, your looking at a program, maybe a virus, but i do not see why it cant be something legitimate. there is alot of things in windows that use up space, the swap file can change its size, hyberfil.sys for hybernation... that backup thing for rolling back drivers i dont recall what thats called.

EDIT: yeah system restore wow never mind glad u got that figured out :)

btw i have a 7200.10 drive, some of the revisions of that drive are really fast :)