1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDD make room and lagg-free?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HiddenStupid, Sep 12, 2007.

1. HiddenStupid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just need a confirmation.

The more free space in your HDD the more it will have lagg-free?

I currently have 160gb HDD 7200rpm 2mb cache while most has 8mb cache. I heard someone said 2mb cache is not noticible difference from the 8mb cache if I am a low end user but I think it is noticible.

the more room I have in HDD the more chance it will not lagg?

I use WinDirStat and it shows that I have huge gigs of image files more than my video files! is it worth it to delete all my image files? most are screenshots from a game or should I just get a new HDD?

but If I get a new HDD.. I do not know how to work it.. I am a real noob. say I am really gonna get a new HDD with 8mb cache... and want to replace it with my old... how do I transfer all the stuff in the current HDD to my new? it sound slike a hassle... is it worth to just delete all my image files instead? I have like 40gig+ images....

2. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    if u goin to get a new hard drive get a 7200.10 perpendicular recording barracuda

theirs no replacement for HDD space ...

btw, are u sure ur hard drive is not fragmented or dying?

3. JacKz5o New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a Western Digital HD by any chance? I have noticed my drive to start crawling in terms of performance if theres less than 25GB left on my 250GB drive..

Defragging doesn't really do much if you have less than 15% of space left. I say to buy another drive for storage. The WD MyBook 500GB are great external storage drives for around $90.

4. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Try running Disk Clean up under my computer and try Ultimate Defrag, it might help, also check for hdd's health if you have speed fan there is a Smart scan there... Hope this helped :D also try CCleaner :D