1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDD Partition Question

Discussion in 'Storage' started by mlee49, Oct 30, 2008.

1. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    So I installed my OS on a 100GB Partition and used the remaining portion as a extended partition. I just wanted to make sure I can back up any files to the remaining portion, and if ever needed reinstall OS over the 100GB primairy partion.

Is this right? By partitioning the drive does it protect the extended portion from being over writen if I install a new OS?

2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    you just be fine, just make sure you dont delete or overwrite the 2nd partition.

3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Sweet thanks. I was pretty sure that I would be fine, but wanted to confirm my limited knowledge.

4. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    It's better to have a second primary partition. WHY? Because with an extended partition, it requires the first partition to link to it. It creates a "chain", on extension after the other... Much better to have an independent partition, which you get by setting up another primary partition.

5. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Install your OS...then set It up with all your Apps and Drivers...then OS Updates.......and then Use Ghost or some other backup app and Image your Install to a separate partition...that way If windows goes toes up...then you have a nice fresh Install Image to copy back....fresh as the 1st day...with your drivers and apps already Installed. :)

I prefer Ghost....some like Acronis....and theres other apps that do the job as well...It's your preference really.

Hope It helps. :)