1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDD Price News Updates?!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chappy, May 7, 2012.

1. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Any news updates when will HDD's crazy punishing prices will go back to normal?
    Got a news from google search here and it says HDD's prices will remain ridiculously high up to 2014-2016?!!! :wtf:

2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Ask TheMailMan78, he's the economics expert. ;)

3. whitrzac New Member

Thanks Received:
    HDD prices are falling... but still high...

IMO they won't come back down as long as people keep buying HDDs.

On that note, there have been a quite a few <0.75/gb SSD deals recently...

4. Dbiggs9

Thanks Received:
    SSD are coming down fast.

5. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    From everything I remember reading, it won't be until around 2014 that all the recovery from the floods in Thailand is finished, but with the way SSDs are trending, they might not ever get as low as they were.

6. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    LOL I actually wanted to see a hdd price drop but so far it got higher,

western digital caviar black 1tb 7200rpm 64mb cache = 5500 (lowest price i've seen) = 126.99$ (I bought a couple not too long ago) and now it's at 6600 (lowest I've seen) = 155.99$

wish they go back to 60bucks per 1tb

7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I can get a Seagate Barracuda Green 1TB for €65. 1TB WD Black is about €110. So it is coming down nicely.

8. kajson

kajson

Thanks Received:
    Since the thailand flooding, the amount of major players in the HDD market has also diminished from about 5 to 2. Mainly Seagate and WD now if i'm not mistaken. They might come down some more over time, but I'd not bet my money on them going anywhere near where they once were. Unless new competitive players or technique enters the market.

These two will rather keep the pie big then get a bigger share of a smaller pie.

9. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Thanks Received:
    It hurts to buy this HDD's that have been so cheap in the past. And yeah, I doubt HDD prices wont be 'going anywhere near where they once were.' once all these have been dealt with.

10. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I remember reading an article that basically said HDD manufacturers were using the flood as a chance to "reset" HDD prices. They will come down, but it will take a lot longer than anyone wants...

11. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Thanks Received:
    There have been a handful of speculations in the past about the HDD's price hike but of course they won't let this blinding opportunity to be passed by.

12. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Basically they are price-fixing right now and using the floods as an excuse to keep the prices high.
    They recovered pretty fast, and demand slowed when the prices shot up to full-retard levels.

13. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    It wasn't all bad since the price of used drives went up as well. If you are like me and keep hard drives for only about 1 1/2 - 2 years then buy new ones and sell the old ones, then the price increase is minimal. The differential between new and used is about the same as it always has been. I just sold a two year old Hitachi 7k2000 2TB drive on eBay for $99.99 + shipping. No way I could have gotten that price before the prices of new drives went up.

14. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Three manufacturers - Western Digital, Seagate, and Toshiba. Samsung was sold to Seagate and Hitachi was split up with Western Digital getting Hitachi's 2.5" facilities and Toshiba getting Hitachi's 3.5" facilities.

Frick says thanks.