1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDD to SSD among other things ?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Killer_Rubber_Ducky, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I am interested in changing my laptop hard drive to a SSD. What is a good SSD to use? My laptop has a 320GB HDD. I am curious if say I went with Samsung's 840 drive and used their clone software, would the SSD have to be identical size wise?

My laptop is a Lenovo G570. I have considered changing to a newer, better laptop since the iGPU is pretty crap. I use this laptop mostly for work but would like to be able to play on it on the go too. would it be better for me to just change to a newer system or switch this to an SSD?

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I have cloned from 320GB HDD to a 60GB back and forth with out issue, i used Paragon Software Drive Copy 12 Professional. Just as there is enough space every thing should be just fine.

How full is this HDD you speak of ?. anyways the cloning software should just lower the free space.. just make sure it's not over 170GB as you want to keep free space on the SSD for performance reasons too.

3. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    In general, you only see a performance slowdown in a SSD once you have filled it to greater than 75% capacity. Even if you fill it to greater than 75%, its performance will still be many times faster than a spinning hard drive.

The Samsung software leaves you with the remaining capacity of the drive. If you buy a 256gb SSD and have 170gb of data on your spinning hard drive, you will still have roughly 80gb of space left on the SSD after using their utility. In other words, it works just like it should.

4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    Putting an SSD in a laptop for me was the greatest thing because it saved so much time in booting and helped with battery life. That being said I have a MSI GT70 that has a 120gb SSD and a 750gb HDD so my battery life is not that great to begin with and now with 2 drives it uses alot lol. However with what your saying my advice to you is the following:

If you cannot get a new laptop now, get a Samsung SSD of 250gb+ because they offer the best price to performance ratio.

If you can get a laptop (Because it seems you want a little more power), get one without an SSD and add your own (Preferably find one that has a spot for a second SSD/HDD).

I will say SSD's are great in laptops and help out quite alot.

5. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i dont know about this. my laptop has a quad core apu a8 4500m and 6 gigs of ram and windows 8.1. it boots in 5 seconds pretty easy with the stock 1TB samsung single platter it comes with. no complaints there. also i ts a 15.6" with a hybrid crossfire with two 76xxs and still manages 6 hours.

but if you can do without the space then its okay to go for the little bit of boost on performance and battery life.

6. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    i was actually planning to put in a 512gb drive

7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Should be a none issue completely then and have more space than you did before due to it being a bigger drive..