1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDMI sound clipping on idle, 6950 + Yamaha V475

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Mistral, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Mistral

Mistral

Thanks Received:
    I'm having a truly annoying issue. I swapped the 5850 in my htpc for a 6950...

Uninstalled the old drivers before installing the newer card, all the usual stuff you try to do cleanly when you upgrade.

With the 5850, everything was perfect. With the 6950, the speaker configuration lights that come up on the Yamaha display keep blinking, sometimes producing a slight clicking noise. That's if I'm just browsing the net, sitting on desktop, or otherwise not playing music/video/games. If I have a movie or a game on, the sound is right as rain. Also, windows seems to be forgetting the speaker configuration between system restarts.

Has anyone heard of a similar issue or a way to fix it?

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    You could try older drivers. I had a sound issue once with my 6970 way back, best i found was 13.12 and some before how ever it's not constant with all driver versions after 13.12 i just remember some were terrible.

3. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    uh oh, this sounds like the old silent stream stream bug....

what output format are you using?

4. Mistral

Mistral

Thanks Received:
    If there's nothing playing and I check signal info through the receiver, it keeps dancing between PCM and "no signal". Yeah, it's probably a frigging driver thing. I just hope there's a way to fix that without having to resort to drivers from last year.

5. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  6. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Try disabling all other sound devices in the sound properties. Its a long shot.

7. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    im pretty sure this was solved some time ago, so im thinkng it might just be a dirty install.

8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well if you find it just being a driver issue, once you have found one that works you could always try just installing just the sound driver.

BTW there is a firmware for that AV too.
    http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v475_black_u/?mode=model

If it's any thing like the ONKYO AV's you should be able to tell the AV how to output the HDMI output for each HDMI connection.

9. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    The Yamaha has a auto switching for the DAC. You do need the ffdshow codex for DTS so install CCCP on your PC and also install your IGPU drivers. They are nessesary and you can check if its set up correct by going to the sound properties right click properties on HDMI and check if its 8 channel

Under supported formats it should say Max number of channels 8 not 2

10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Is that a Yamaha thing having to install those codacs ?. All i have to do is install the ATI audio drivers.

[​IMG]

11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    You probably already had the ffdshow installed or your using a standalone player VLC or XBMC.

Edit, disregard I just read that it plays correctly with movies

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I do use VLC once in a blue moon ( on a separate drive don't reinstall it ), but after all the OS re-installs so that's not done it.

13. Mistral

Mistral

Thanks Received:
    How would I even tell the card what format to use? From what I see, AMD's drivers are super barebones when it comes to audio settings.