1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDMI to get Uncompressed Dolby and DTS?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by suraswami, Oct 20, 2008.

1. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    First my question is Thru HDMI on a video card can I get uncompressed Dolby Digital and Uncompressed DTS? Is it the same HDMI port as the regular Blue ray stand alone player?

Current Media Center Specs

ECS Nforce6M-A AM2 board
    AM2 X2 4800 @ 2.6Ghz
    Crucial DDR2 800 2 x 1GB ram
    250GB Maxtor IDE HDD
    LG BD/HDDVD/DVDRW combo drive
    EVGA 8600GT 512MB HDCP compliant Video card
    Diamond XTreme XS71 Sound Card with coaxial output
    TV tuners
    And the Ever notorius PowerDVD Ultra 7.?

TV is Sony 50" SXRD 1080P.

PC to TV is DVI to HDMI, so only Video is passed thru, as the Video card is not capable of passing audio too like ATI cards. Sound card Coaxial digital is connected to Deneon 7.1 receiver.

Here is my problem,

I got thru with the above setup from last thanks giving until now and it has served me fine. Most movies comes with 2 or more audio options, 1 - regular 5.1/7.1 DD or DTS and 2 - Uncompressed audio DD or DTS.

But lately new movies like Iron Man and The Love Guru doesn't come with older audio option ie regular DD or DTS for 5.1/7.1 pass thru SPDIF or Coaxial. those came with only one option Uncompressed Dolby Digital 7.1. PowerDVD Ultra picked it properly but my sound card is not capable of decoding it properly and sends only 2 ch signal to my receiver which converts at DD pro-logic. I changed the settings on the receiver but no luck.

Since there is not Audio card yet that is capable of decoding uncompressed audio I am left with only one option - Upgrade!!

For upgrade I have to change my receiver to HDMI capable one (expensive:mad:)
    Then for the receiver to get HDMI signal I need to change either to a board with built-in HDMI or just buy a Video card with HDMI output.

So ATI or NVidia - which one does uncompressed 8 channel audio output thru HDMI? I think thru HDMI means I can get uncompressed audio. Either the 3450/9500GT or 3870/9600GT (for some gaming too) with built-in HDMI output. I noticed few cards comes with SPDIF cable, what is the use of this cable and how to use it?

And my last option is, my TV has SPDIF output, so if I pass HDMI audio to the TV, can the TV pass thru as SPDIF signal to my receiver thru optical output?

I know it is 300 page essay but somebody please help. This will be my Thanks giving or christmas upgrade.

Thanks

:toast:

2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not an expert on this subject, however, I have always found AV Forums to have the answer to my AV questions, not sure if this will help answer your question but It goes into detail about the 4870 and the 200 series HDMi.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1029603

suraswami says thanks.
  3. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I think this is a huge pain in the rear. I am sick of this ever changing tech and is getting very expensive to get what it is made for.

So I went to BB and picked up a regular Blue ray play Samsung BDP1400 (clearance one). Lets see if it will pass thru 8 channels to my receiver thru optical out.

4. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    ATI now decodes 7.1 in the 4XXX line of cards, which is what you will need for what you want to do. Nvidias newest cards and ATIs old 2xxx/3xxx series does not.

suraswami says thanks.
  5. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    So 9600GT with built-in HDMI will not work?

So then 4670?

6. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Wierd - DTS-HD my sound card decodes properly and sends to my Denon receiver as 7.1. If I put a DD-HD it sends as 2.1. I put the same movie on the new samsung, it passes thru optical both types as 7.1 ch.

hmm so there is a way to send as regular 7.1 ch thru optical/coaxial. Is there a device or software that will do the same for me?

I don't want to spend $700 for a HDMI capable receiver, not worth to see movies in DD-HD.

7. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
  8. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    No thank you, nothing?

all that typing for nowt... :(

9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, he cant thank you if he has not been on line, patience my friend! :cool:

10. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess I was right. Two months later and still no acknowledgement... :S

Edit:

I've removed my message as you dont care enough to respond.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  11. REVHEAD New Member

Thanks Received:
    The trick is to do your research and allso look out to see what is on the horizon, sometimes it is allso better to get something high end rather then get a cheap fill in product to suit your budget at that time, save a little longer and " buy once cry once ".