1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDMI vs DVI vs SVGA (D-Sub)?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by vawrvawerawe, Nov 11, 2012.

?

Which has the best graphics quality?

1. HDMI

27.0%
  2. DVI

67.6%
  3. SVGA/VGA/D-Sub

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

5.4%
  1. dude12564 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use DVI, but I think it runs out of bandwidth at higher resolutions, at 144 Hz or something. I think LinusTechTips covered something about that when he was unboxing an ASUS IPS monitor.

2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Dual link can officially do 2560x1600@60Hz/3840x2400@33Hz now plenty of people go over that and dual link DVI has no official maximum bandwidth it comes down to the cable itself better cable will give you higher resolution.

3. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the resolution. At typical resolutions there should be no difference.

4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Except when comparing analogue and digital. Huge difference in quality between VGA and DVI.

5. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    Can you explain?

6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Try both and tell me you cannot see the difference between DVI and VGA.

7. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    VGA uses an analogue signal which is sensitive to any interferences.
    You can see the difference when it comes to the TV cable signal: the old analogue signal was "fuzzy", "blurred" or it came with a lot of static. Digital signal is just 1's and 0's.

8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Poorly shielded analog signals have this, yes. But poorly shielded DVI cables can do the same thing. Digital or Analog, both signals are influenced by interference. The real benefit here is that DVI (as others have said,) provides a digital signal, so there is no conversion that needs to be done on the monitor's end. A CRT display on the other hand wouldn't benefit from a digital signal much because of how it scans the image.

All in all, modern cables are more resilient to interference than they used to and most of the quality degradation you notice on VGA now is converting the signal from one for to another. Not having to convert the signal will always give you better image quality. Digital signals also use the available bandwidth more efficiently than analog alternatives, which is why digital signals replaced analog on cable TV here in the US.

repman244 says thanks.
  9. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    HDMI is technically equal to DVI but DVI is better because it has more strict cable/transmission requirements (e.g. cross talk, cable length, etc.). DVI also can be screwed in so they don't fall out.

Chevalr1c and Aquinus say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    True but, digital isn't that sensitive as analogue is, even materials used in cables can have an impact on analogue signal.
    Another thing to consider is the cable length, you can keep amplifying the analogue signal in between to increase the cable length but you also amplify interference/static... Digital, you can just use some kind of a repeater and keep going without issues.

The converter converts what it gets fed, so it converts all the interference as well, however I'm not sure how much (there will be some since you can't go analogue to digital without a loss) interference/distortion comes from the conversion itself.

Could the interference come from (in this case the GPU) itself? There are a lot of components there (and on a very small space) that could cause this, but could it be the main contributor?

11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Possibly, it really depends on how good the RAMDAC on the GPU is and how well shielded it and the analog lines are. If DVI has enough interference, it causes the entire signal to have problems, so the picture really doesn't end up getting displayed. VGA might look worse but at higher interference levels it is more resilient than DVI. I would trust a 50ft VGA cable more than a 50ft DVI cable (of similar build and construction.) Granted I wouldn't really want a 50ft video cable run of any kind for that matter. :p

12. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I would look at it like this.... All of your Digital Options like HDMI/DVI/Display Port you will not be able to tell the difference visually. Anyone who says they can tell the difference is BS'ing you.

However where you will be able to tell the difference is resolution on your monitor plus other features. Concentrate on spending your money on your monitor and video card not your cable.

13. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    :toast:
    Well said
    Although HDMI + DP are better than DVI as they can carry sound

14. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Sound doesn't make it better IMHO. HDMI provides similar bandwidth as dual-link DVI (latest HDMI spec,) but DisplayPort supports significantly more bandwidth than HDMI. So all in all, as far as bandwidth is concerned, DisplayPort is the better of the 3, followed by HDMI, then DVI. DVI would be almost on par with HDMI with the exception that DVI only supports RGB color space where HDMI and DisplayPort support YCbCr color space and deep color.

15. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    I didn't mean in terms of quality i only referred to flexibility of the usage. i myself just changed to HDMI last week :)

16. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I was at an electronics shop for a while (repairing TV's mostly) and one of the more common problems were the HDMI connectors. Not the cables, but the jacks in the TV's.

(that and LG TV's not being assembled properly :roll:)

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  17. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    how are samsungs?

18. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    I think we can all rest assured that Samsung is the Porsche of the electronics industry.

19. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    It would be more like Fiat. Owns some nice brands, but puts out some garbage as well.

20. dude12564 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Samsung kies....

21. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I agree with this.
    My current monitor is a good example which will be replaced soon.
    Not only did it ghost with 2ms boot and run fine with no boost at 5ms, it also had Capxon caps which died on me.

22. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't there for long so it's hard to tell. Also this was in 2009, I think LG had some serious problems for a while with their production lines or something.

23. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    DVI and HDMi are the same quality as both a digital. HDMI has some benifits with sound and size. DVI has some benifits as it will carry analog and digital

24. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I am using a DVI/HDMI Cable(Think it came with my TV) I like the convenience of the HDMI plugged into my card, easy to just unplug.

25. tayga New Member

Thanks Received:
    i use HDMI witch goes to 1920x1080 16:9 but my native rez witch is 1680x1050 16:10
    and it's funny that i have to select 16:9 to get rid of the black bars. 16:10 adds the black bars so it poses as 16:9 and HDMI give you the advantage between RGB and YPbPr

p.s. if i go above my native rez then i get this "to much sharpness" like it's bin turned up to max and you see that bleeding bright white line around objects and the image looks softer