1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDTV As Monitor Advice?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OrbitzXT, Jan 1, 2010.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Currently I use a 32" Sharp Aquos 1080p HDTV as my computer's monitor. I've had this for about a year and it's been great and lately I've been thinking of upgrading to a bigger screen. I have two in mind but I'm not really sure what to go with, and I'd like to decide and order soon.

There's a 40" 1080p 60hz from Sceptre for $500,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889112027

There's also a 46" 1080p 120hz from Sceptre for $700,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889112034

I took out a measuring tape to see exactly what the view would look like while sitting in my computer chair, it seems like either will be nice. I'm pretty sure anything over the 46" would be too much. I'd be at the point where I literally have to turn my head to look at different parts of the screen.

I have a friend wanting to buy the screen I'm using now for $300, which is about the price I could sell it for according to the auctions on ebay. So upgrading to a 40" would essentially cost $200, upgrading to the 46" 120hz would be $400.

I do a lot of computer gaming, and to be honest I don't really know the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz. nVidia has some product for $200 that comes with 3D glasses and turns games into 3D which seems interesting, that requires a 120Hz screen. Though I'm using a 4870X2 from ATI right now so that's not a possibility anyway. Any thoughts or input to help me make a decision would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    if you have your mind set on using a tv for a monitior why not use a plasma?
    Newegg
    a friend of mine has one and the picture is amazing and before anyone screams burn in he games on it 24/7 and the screen looks the same as the day he bought it :toast:
    OrbitzXT says thanks.
  3. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I wasn't really concerned about burn in, from things I've read the newer screens coming out now aren't really affected by it. The cost however is a slight issue, $865 is a little beyond my budget, I was really hoping to spend $700 at most. In terms of using an HDTV as a computer monitor, do Plasma's produce a hugely different image quality than LCD's? For $700 I could get a 46" screen with 120Hz, whatever that means. The plasma is $865 and 42", but like I said I don't know how much better the image quality would be.
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Just as an FYI, most 120Hz HDTVs(all that I've seen) still only allow you to set 60Hz as the refresth rate, and internally double it to 120Hz, they will not accept a 120Hz signal. The same goes for those 240Hz screens, they only accept 60Hz signals and quadruple it.
    OrbitzXT says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not even sure I want a new screen to be honest. I've just been bored lately and figured buying something new would keep me entertained for a little bit. Everything I played in the past already would be shiny, new and exciting on a bigger screen. But instead of buying a bigger screen couldn't I just replicate the same effect by moving my 32" closer to me? I keep it like 2-3 feet away. I imagine moving it closer would give me the same effect as buying a larger screen kept farther away. This usually happens to me this time of the year, I've got cash to burn and try to find something to entertain me.
  6. Phxprovost

Thanks Received:
    if your bored why not get yourself one of these and one of these? Hell if you sell that 4870X2 you can get a second one of these
  7. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    He wants to "see" the difference:laugh:
  8. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I have a 4870X2 already and a 32" 1080p screen. Those seem like silly buys. I really need a hobby or something, something to keep myself busy lol. I used to go to this card shop nearby and played Magic and Yugioh with people there but it closed down. All I'm left with is online gaming but even that gets boring. I wish I found console games interesting but for the most part I don't =/ I guess I'll figure something out. Thanks for the help though.
  9. Phxprovost

Thanks Received:
    lol start a savings account then start investing....buying selling trading oh my :p
    i would be rich by now if that was my hobby instead of building rigs :shadedshu
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
  11. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Why not get an LED Monitor. Much better picture quality than your Aquos. We've got one downstairs and it looks much better than my monitor (Aquos aswell)