1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDTV Plasma for PC monitor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 2Charlie, Jul 22, 2012.

1. 2Charlie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the response. Okay, so you use VGA instead of HDMI and it's fixed for you?

2. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    If a TV has a VGA port, then that port is usually intended for PC use. Your TV does not have one though.

3. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    no i use HDMI now but took 6-7 hours of headaches of various settings before i solved it and even then the difference is the HDMI is a bit sharper, VGA is a bit softer otherwise essentially the same, as my monitor didnt have DVI,

noticed the same issues on my T260 HD, HDMI looked inferior to DVI but in general both were better than VGA,

just food for thought is all.

4. 2Charlie New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's why I didn't really look care if my hdtv has vga port or not.

5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I'm not talking about whether that res is showing in both panels, I'm saying it can make a difference which panel you use to lock that res in. One is the panel MS uses, the other Nvidia's.

In my experience, I think there must be some sort of detection problem regarding setting res options for an HDTV in W7. I don't know whether it's on the Nvidia side or MS side, maybe both, but I suspect it has mostly to do with some of Nvidia's drivers being a bit unstable. Sometimes I can't even get the resize option to enable right away. I have to try it a few times before it will.

If nothing else works, one thing you can try is reinstalling the driver, or updating to the latest if you don't have it. Make sure you check the Custom box and then "Perform clean install", which will delete the installed driver first.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  6. 2Charlie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, then I guess I don't know what you're talking about then. I have tried both locations (MS and Nvidia) and set the tv to "Full".

I did try reinstalled with the latest drivers and replaced my current drivers and still there is no change. Again, my screen seems to be okay. It does not go beyond the edges of my tv now. However, my biggest concerns is the fuzziness/unsharp of texts and images in general and I don't think this has anything to do with the plasma hdtv because I've tried turning the hdtv off and use remote desktop connection and it still look not as sharp. I did look at the "Antialiasing" in the Nvidia control and this is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

7. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    That's antialising for 3D graphics. For the desktop, you adjust the Cleartype settings. Turning Cleartype off removes AA from desktop text and is the way I like to run my desktop, since it gives 100% sharp characters.

8. 2Charlie New Member

Thanks Received:
    I turned off the Cleartype texts but it's no difference.

9. 2Charlie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I found something. I unchecked the "Enable desktop resizing" and the texts is suddenly much clearer and sharper. However, now my Windows Start toolbar is way down underneath my hdtv's edge. The icons my left side edege is way to left. Is this call "overscan" right? What's the correct term for this issue?

10. 2Charlie New Member

Thanks Received:
    In search to fix my "overscan" I found this thread. It describe exactly what my problem is. I guess the "Resize" I kept talking about is not 1:1 pixel mapping; thus, my texts and all my images look crappy and fuzzy.

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the top image being blurry is because you set the text size to 125% earlier. you need to stop changing settings until you've determined the proper resolution of your screen.

you should not resize. that is not solving your problem, and makes it impossible to do the testing i mentioned earlier.

12. 2Charlie New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is no way to set my video card Nvidia control panel to 0%. It's either "Do not report, Auto-select, Underscan" and I have tried all of these. Nothing works.

13. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    just want to but in an say this is why DVI is amazing and HDMI sucks, kinda sad they stick with VGA ports when a DVI = problem solved 99% of the time, oh well gotta love manufacturers cutting penny's

14. 2Charlie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, in search of fix for my overscan issue, I found this thread that talks about resolving the issue I have with my exact hdtv. The problem is, I do not know how to access/find the "HD2 full mode" that he's talking about. Does anyone?

15. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Overscan issue possible solution:
    After you scale it, just go back into resolution and set it to 1920x1080 and it will keep you scaled properly and set you back to 1920x1080 and not that odd resolution.
    Don't you dare go VGA.. ug. Fight that tooth and nail, you loose quality instantly.

Yes I simply mean use the overcsan feature and scale it accordingly. It will set you at some odd resolution. Then after you do that go right into resolution in nvidia and set it manually to 1920x1080. Works for me everytime.
    Your resolution will then state 1920x1080 and not the odd one it was.

Also try 59 hz and see if it fixes any issues.. And make sure you set it to 1080p not 1080i.
    You will get horrible picture if you set the wrong.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  16. 2Charlie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried all the scaling options and nothing resolves the overscan other than the "Resize" which makes all texts and images fuzzy and blurry.

17. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I just read this:

Set sharpness to 0 and under picture -> picture options -> size set that to Just Scan (it's Samsung's name for 1:1 pixel mapping).

Maybe not the same monitor but the problem is the same and it might help u.

Might try setting the monitor to pc mode as well.

After you resized it you went into resolution and set it manually to 1920x1080 right?
    Still did that? If so I am stumped..

18. 2Charlie New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, it's fine. There is no overscan after "resized" but everything looks fuzzy and blurry which looks crap.

Does anyone know how to set my particular HDTV to the "HD2 full mode"? Or, does this option even exist?

19. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I get that but does it say your resolution is still that odd number? 1800 or 1600 x something and not the 1920x1080 you should have?

If in nvidia control panel it says your resoltion is not 1920x1080, set it manually to 1920x1080 (1080p)..
    That's what I'm saying.

And did you set it to 1080p? not 1080i? That's in like hdmi compliance or something. I'm not home so I'm working from memory here.
    Also try different refresh rates.
    Trying to help here but if you don't tell me wether or not you actually try what's being posted idk what else to try.

Idk about that HD2 option, sry.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  20. 2Charlie New Member

Thanks Received:
    I already explained that in my posts of Jul 22, 2012, 08:01 PM, Jul 22, 2012, 10:05 PM, and Jul 22, 2012, 10:54 PM and the result/problem was explained in my post Jul 23, 2012, 10:27 AM.

21. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I read the result...lol.. you said you tried it and text got fuzzy.. but you did not say you used the overscan feature,
    "THEN RIGHT AFTERWARDS" you went into resolution and manually set it to 1920 x 1080 and verified that nvidia registered it as 1920x1080 (1080p)"in hdmi compliance" (With overscan active).
    Also you did not clarify if it was registering as 1080p not 1080i...
    I read every post.. Twice...lol..

Regardless that's all I got. I had your problem before and it was resolution and compliance related. particularly because it was running at 1080i not 1080p..
    Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.

22. 2Charlie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for trying to help though. I was a bit slow when some people asked me about the resolution and qubit kept pounding me on the 1:1 pixel mapping and stuff; but I finally understood what they're talking about tried all of their suggestions -- none works.

23. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, sure I did, since it's critically important for a clear picture. Get that wrong and nothing else matters :toast:

I tell ya man, you're not the only one frustrated here. I'd love to spend half an hour with your setup and see if I can get it to work properly - I think it's possible, although there's definitely something funny going on with it. I've seen this kind of crap before and it makes you wonder why these companies keep trying to "innovate" with their TVs, which ends ruining the simple task of displaying a picture. :rolleyes: Plug in any bog standard, cheap 1080p monitor via DVI or HDMI and chances are that it'll display a perfectly set up picture, with the correct 1:1 pixel mapping, proving that achieving this is really easy, so what gives?

I hope you nail it in the end, buddy. :)

24. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I looked in the manual again and the only 1:1 mapping mode on that TV is just referred to as "Full", same as mine. What they may be talking about however is using HDMI port # 2 for the PC. Most TVs seem to assume the user is going to use port # 1 for a Blu-ray player.

If you haven't already tried it, I would use port one for Blu-ray, PS3, whatever, and port # 2 for PC. That's how mine is setup and it works fine. I've also read in at least one thread that someone had issues with their TV as a monitor until they used port #2.

I also don't have any issues with Resize or ClearType being enabled as far as bad text, and the revert to the res resized after resizing trick always works and gives me screen fit and full res.

25. 2Charlie New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm happy to report back that I solved the problem of overscan. In the Menu/Picture/HD Size, I chose "Size 2" and it fixes the overscan issue. It's now working great.