1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDTV vs Monitor for PC gaming ?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by jonathan1107, Mar 15, 2011.

1. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    I currently have a 24 inch full hd monitor and a full hd 32 inch HDTV...

I was wondering if I should try connecting my PC to the HDTV instead of my current monitor. I have a radeon 6950 which would allow a HDMI to HDMI connection to the HDTV...

What would be the PROS and CONS of doing this. I've heard you can get deeper blacks on HDTV and a more dynamic color range...

I also hear a PC monitor is better "pixel wise"... I'm not really an expert on the subject. What do you guys think? Let me know :O)

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Pros
    Every thing bigger
    makes things easier to see
    Great for Track IR
    HDMI carrys sound so you could plug it in your receiver first

Cons
    Can make things more blocky
    MIGHT need more AA ( depends on a few factors like resolution )
    Screen refresh is typically higher.
    I sit pretty dam close to mine but love the larger screen over a smaller one so to me the pros defiantly out do the cons.
    More space taken up

Try it only real way if ya going tell if ya like it or not.

3. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    The TV might have a bit of lag. Be sure to set it to "game mode" if it has one. The TV might also ghost more than the monitor. Be sure to set the HDMI audio as your default sound device (Radeons have a built-in sound card).

..but as AsRock said, if you have both of 'em handy, try them out. A friend of mine used his HDTV on his computer. Had the stupid thing a few feet away from his face. Had to turn his head to follow the mouse around. He enjoyed it quite a bit, but ended up selling it to pay the bills.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I've never been able to stand the tv monitor setups. I'm running 1080p on a 21" because anything larger just isn't sharp enough. I mean ignoring that it's pretty ridiculous to have to move your head around trying to see everything on some 42" 3 feet in front of you. It's just silly and awkward unless you're a considerable distance from the display. Like I guess if your pc desk was right up against the back of your living room sofa it would make sense.

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    as long as the TV is set to 'game' or "pc" mode, its lag free and fine.

the only concern is making sure theres enough distance between you and the screen - a meter or two at least (if its 26"+)

6. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    32" 1080p HDTV is the sweet spot

For a long time I have jumped on the modern HDTV as a monitor bandwagon. The short of it is a quality LCD HDTV with decent response time will be a great monitor. There are a few things to consider other than response time. It is kind of a crap shoot but certain HDTVs will be more optimized for PC use. On the Vizio VO32L I am using right now its VGA input is awesome for PC use. It supports a wide range of resolutions and the auto adjust feature is easy to manage. It suppors full 1080p resolution without scaling needed. Some HDTVs are not real 1080p sets even though they claim to be. They simply automatically scale to there actual native resolution which is close but not all the way 1920 * 1080. The Sceptre X32BV Full HD TV I had did not truly support 1080p via VGA because it in fact only supported something like 1800 * 1000. It will not even run Shadowgrounds Survivor due to resolution issues. The game crashes. When you used HDMI it had all sorts of scaling issues and support issues for gaming. It also had poor response from black and ghosted even though the backlight was very uniform. Ghosting was at it worst in VGA.

As long as you sit a few feet back from a 32" 1080p LCD HDTV you will be mesmerized at how awesome it really is. There is no better and easier on the eyes way to play a RTS game. Everything is legible on the screen and it my case the pixel density is just fine from about 4 feet away. Lets just say that depending on the videos you watch it is a very lifelike experience. I say go quality HDTV and don't look back. 32" is ideal for a true multimedia monitor.:toast:

7. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    thx for your advice... What about Cable choise? My Radeon 6950 supports HDMI, DVI and more...

But I guess my HDTV supports HDMI... I know there are a bunch of HDMI to DVI connectors or stuff alike...

But what about using HDMI to HDMI. Is that good? Can anybody actually tell me in simple intelligible words what the difference is between monitor and HDTV in terms of quality??

I would like to know if there's any lag... if the screen size bein 32 inch vs my 24 inch monitor an issue. Does a HDTV require stuff like AA or scaling... BTW, my HDTV is an LG 32 inch full HD (or at least that's what it says on the box :O)

8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    But that's a good thing in my case as i play Arma 2 a lot and fly and drive a lot in that game and when using Track IR you can have it less sensitive than normal.

9. cyriene

cyriene New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use HDMI and it works well.
    But we can't answer your question - too many variables. It depends on ther HDTV panel quality and monitor quality.
    My U3011 kicks the shit out of my 42 inch Scepter HDTV quality wise. But that may not be the case with a quality TV and shitty monitor.

What I'm trying to say is hook it up yourself and see how it compares and answer your own questions.

10. IndigoGoose New Member

Thanks Received:
    My TV downstairs which is a 50inch :rockout:
    Has a laptop always connected to it to watch films, youtube, music etc
    And i have played a couple of games doing on this and i have to say it is lush :D

My upstairs monitor 23inch has a HDMI slot should i be using it :confused:
    At the moment i am using DVI just because it was easier to set up when i first got it

11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    apart from adding audio, theres no real reason to move to HDMI for a PC monitor.

xvi says thanks.
  12. IndigoGoose New Member

Thanks Received:
    For audio i have my Logitech X-540 5.1 surround sound
    So HDMI is pointless for my monitor other than connecting a PS3 or Xbox which niether i own?

13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    pointless to upgrade to for video, yes. the video part of HDMI was directly copied from DVI, so they're essentially the same.

14. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    TO OP:

Just take your ueber flatscreen and test it with the pc! It is not heavy like a CRT TV

You WILL have to adjust watching distance: TV screens are not as finepixeled as PC monitors, by design it is for watching from some meters away!

Some DVI carries sound, in my case: from DVI (PC) to HDMI (TV) with a DVI-HDMI cable :) You must use the sound driver of your HDMI video card.

15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    thats not quite correct, you're still using HDMI.

I get what you're saying, but for some reason i just dont like the way you worded it, nerd-sense is tingling...

edit: got it. you said you're getting audio over DVI, which isnt true as you cant use a DVI cable, or DVI on the monitor/TV end for audio.

You cant even use a DVI to HDMI cable - it has to be a specific DVI to HDMI adpator on the video card, and a HDMI cable to the screen.

16. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    I thought it was strange that he said he was getting audio through a DVI cable aswell :)

17. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Sorry Sir, you are wrong! My NVidia GTX 470 offers sound out off the DVI connector. I have direct cable from there to the HDMI-in on the monitor. And getting sound. Bingo.

Note: this was already discussed in some thread :)

18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    you misread me, and misunderstood my point.

You are still getting sound via HDMI, not via DVI.

You are converting your DVI port to HDMI and getting audio through the use of a special adaptor for your card, but its still HDMI and not DVI that you are using.

for a relevant example - if you used a DVI to VGA converter for a CRT screen, you wouldnt say you were running DVI on the screen - you're running VGA.

19. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    aha, you are saying that my DVI port looks like a DVI port but is acting like a HDMI port? No problem with that :)

BUT: no 'adaptor' here in any form or shape, fyi.

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yes, its HDMI hiding behind in DVI port. its how they get DVI, VGA and HDMI from the one port when you use adaptors.

If you're not using an adaptor, you cant use the audio...

erixx and Dogshitjoint say thanks.
  21. Dogshitjoint

Dogshitjoint New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great explanation to why I were baffled when I actually did get sound on my HDTV/Mon speakers setting up HD-Audio in NVCP, using a DVI-HDMI cable.

//Dog

22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    you're lucky it worked with the cable, the cables usually dont work.

23. Dogshitjoint

Dogshitjoint New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I figured how can this even possible:confused:

Meh I use SPDIF/Coax for sound anyways so I dont know if lucky is the right word.

//Dog

24. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    so we are 2 lucky ones, :)

25. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I have recently shifted from gaming on my 14in laptop to gaming on a 32in LCD.. And I must say I love it!! I sit approx 1m from tv max and it rox, I must admit though - playing BC2 I do have to look around the screen so to speak to see it all. I want to sit a little further away but do not have a cordless KB yet or anything to sit my mouse on (I use it on entertainment unit) :)

I have always had issues with using HDMI on my TV. It is a full HD lcd and HDMI looks great with movies etc. but the desktop looks shit using HDMI. I stick with VGA and it looks as good as my Dell 24in LCD upstairs.