1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

headphones + amp for $400

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Easy Rhino, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    For $400 I would not bother with an amplifier for a set of in-ears just get a good PMP and spend as much as you can on the in-ears. $400 is Westone 4 or Phonak 232 territory and those are seriously great bang for buck even though they are expensive.

I am glad you liked the reviews!

Mindweaver says thanks.
  2. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I think you guys are crazy talking about dead formats. even my dad has moved onto digital.

there are some high impedance IEM on the market that need an amplifier. the headphone jack on Apple products is only 32 ohms. even IEM that are efficient can really benefit from an amplifier.

3. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    $400 for IEMs :roll: Thats crazy me finks...

Edit: Oh yeah, Fiio e6! lol

4. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    idk, I think for IEMs a 120$ Fiio one should be plenty

5. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    The format is only dead to those who no longer listen to it. Vinyl is thriving :)

6. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I don't think Sony is supporting SACD in any shape or form. most SACD is classical. I don't listen to that genre. time to move on...

7. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
  8. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    Happy with my Phonak Audeo 012, but under your budget. Perhaps a few models up?

9. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Didn't see anyone mention these. Maybe because they are rather expensive.

http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-audio-system-astro-edition

http://gaming-headsets-review.toptenreviews.com/

[url}http://gaming-headsets-review.toptenreviews.com/astro-a40-review.html[/url]

I use the a40 with Mixamp. Uses spdif connection for sound and a seperate mic cable for voice. Very, very good audio and an awesome comfortable headset.

Mix Amp is nice as it supports external mixing, so you can plug an external audio source in and mix it. Great for replacing game audio tracks without having to have another program running in the back ground and worry about conflicts.

10. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Admittedly the thing is quite expensive. But there's nothing in that link that shows "hey, this thing is a rip off that sounds like crap." It's just the opinion of a guy who looked at some pictures. abi is renowned for its hatred of expensive media players. heck, anything that isn't the clip get bashed 10 ways from sunday on that site. I would definitely call them biased over there. Personally I'd look for a second opinion.

11. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I personally don't care either way for the iBASSO. Do you know anywhere else that showed pix with it open?

Personally I think anyone who spends that much on a digital PMP is crazy. It's still digital! Lol

People don't like hearing how they overpaid for something, more expensive means better quality. Right? :rolleyes:

12. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    your getting a portable media player, DA converter and headphone amplifier all in one unit.

a stack like this isn't cheap and it's a lot to carry around.

[​IMG]

13. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    When it comes to pc components, I'd say the answer is a resounding yes. More expensive IS typically better. Especially considering a $40 component vs an $800 one. I do agree with you that $800 for a pmp is pretty high. I guess you'd be better off buying an ipad or a somewhat high end tablet. Then again maybe you value audio higher than casual gaming. And yeah, the ibasso is more than just a pmp.

14. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    First I never said it was crap, if thats what you got from the article/pix; well then...

I can tell you what I am getting; Not anywhere near it's damn asking price is what!

That iBASSO isn't worth more than $200/$300 at the most. Even then I still wouldn't buy it. But there are loads of people who can't wait for it!

I value good sound, but I value not being a sucker even more :eek: If you guys are happy to spend a week or two's paycheque on something like it go right ahead! You wont be selling me one anytime soon lol

Digital is still digital. Doesn't matter what it's played through or what format it's in, it's all 0s & 1s :twitch:

You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd! :rolleyes:

15. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
  16. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    now your being silly.

the iBasso DX100 is worth more than a iPod. the DA converter is based on a ESS Sabre32 9018 chip. it's reference level. do you know what the iPod uses? an entry level Wolfson chip designed for portable media players.

17. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Now YOU are being silly.

I don't care what they put into an iPOD or any other PMP. It's still digital. Compressed 1s & 0s. If you want to go broke chasing the analogue sound more power to ya :rockout:

Also, points of diminishing returns. They exist. Believe it or not. Does your $800 iBASSO sound $600 better than my fone/Fiio e6/AKG 172 combo? I'll even let you use your $800 headphones :)

:toast:

Elitists :shadedshu
    :p :laugh:

18. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    I still don't think you understand how expensive good Amps are.. Take a $250 amp and pack a DAC with android, a touch screen and a 64gb memory card on it a viola, you've got a pretty high price point. True it's probably $200 higher than it should be, but that's the price you pay for an all-in-one non-mainstream package like that. Do you realize the iphone 5 costs $650?

19. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Yes! Thats right. Because I am not an audiofool I know nothing.

I don't care about iPhone/iPod why the fock are people mentioning it for? Really, are the trolls that bored? Or just forgot how to read?

Focking elitists lol You still aint any better then the rest of us, but keep spending! :cool:

In closing: Digital is digital, and isn't worth more then a couple hundred bucks on the go maximum. Total. Digital at home is slightly different situation so spending more there is almost required, but it's also doing more so ya. I'm referring to a digital AVR as spending money on something like an Oppo or similar is a waste IMO.

Good day thread :toast:

20. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    CD, SACD and DVD-A is all digital. inside your CD player is a DA converter that turns the binary into analog waves. i'm sure Lil Wayne will be putting his next album out on Vinyl..

Yes. the most important component in the chain is the speaker or headphone it self. the AKG K172 and Audeze LCD-2 are so far apart in quality you probably can't even find a talked about comparison.

second is the source. your phone does not have a desktop or reference level DA converter. even a poorly implemented ESS Sabre32 chip sounds better than a phone.

21. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh no you did'nt! I was quietly watching from the sidelines until this. Not even Lil' Wayne is safe from this thread :roll: Shame!:shadedshu

BumbleBee says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  22. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    headphones like the Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1, Audeze LCD-2, Audeze LCD-3, Fostex TH-900, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-009 are in a completely different league. people line up at trade shows and meets to demo these headphones. they stand there with these ridiculous looking headphones on their heads smiling or in tears listening to a Pink Floyd track they have heard a 1000 times. it's incredible.

it drives me crazy when people go around saying it's all snake oil or $300 speakers sound better than $2000 speakers. these people act like they have it all figured out and audiophiles who spend time in pursuit of pure audiophile frequency response don't have a clue. people who endorse Monster headphones take a lot of heat but at least their passion is genuine.....

freaksavior says thanks.
  23. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Lil Wayne sux ballz! wTf you mention his pathetic self for? Lol

You shouldn't have edited your post BB ;) Nice gear! You just paid for my power conditioning setup :rolleyes: Tru story.

Why silver cables? Top end not so clear?

Also you included a footnote about a DAC, that is the answer to why there is no argument lol

ninkobei your post was so hard for me not to laugh at because while I was reading/replying to it I was staring @ $3500 of amplifiers lol. Tru story.

My portable solution cost me less than $150 total, all brand new in box with warranties, you can't match that. Not for the money. Ya I got lucky with prices but still, a Fiio 6 is $30 & 172s usually $130 - $150 add your portapoti media sauce and bingo!

I'd spend money on headphones/amp for home listening. But it isn't that important right now, vinyls do sound pretty damn good on these budget 172s :rockout:

Maybe I try the open backs? Should sound better... $300 though... :eek:

Who's buying me Grados for Christmas?

Love you guys :toast:

24. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    just ignore him..

m1dg3t says thanks.
  25. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Lol Did I hurted some feelings? I prolly spent more on cables than your headphones! It's all a waste mostly. Diminishing returns... Diminishing returns :eek: