• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Headphones

tomba2k

System Name AMD
Processor Athlon x2 7750+ BE
Motherboard Biostar A770 A2+
Cooling Stock Phenom cooler
Memory 2GB Geil BlackDragon + 2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
Video Card(s) nVidia 8800GTS EXO
Storage 500GB
Display(s) AOC 916Swa
Case Frontier Achilles
Audio Device(s) Realtek Azalia
Power Supply XFX 450W (SeaSonic)
Software Win7 x64 Pro
You are completely missing the point. 10 Hz is inaudible and hence completely irrelevant. The source as you can see on the chart has an almost linear frequency response from 10 Hz which is well below the audible range to over 20 kHz which is above that.

Even though you have multiple driver you will still have a high number of dips and bumps on a frequency response chart. The ones that come closest to represent linear response as the ones with a slight bump across 1 kHz and then a little elevation near 100 Hz as well (long time since I studied ideal frequency response charts). Headsets with multiple driver are way off the ideal with way to much bass and rolled off highs, the number of drivers is not a quality marker by any means. Most single driver headphones will be closer to the ideal than any the multiple driver headphones manufactured today.

Also you ignore the fact that even a mainstream X-Fi card has a linear frequency response in the audible range which is from ~18hz to ~18 kHz (if you have perfect hearing).
omfg, read what i wrote!
i said:
1) every real audio source has its own parabolic-like freq response chart
2) quality of audio related product can be measured by how close frequency responses in audible specter is to linear

so, we're saying the same thing, just read more carefully!)
i didn't say that inaudible specter is relevant, i just said that even high quality products have parabolic chart because that is characteristic of every real audio source -> high quality products have freq response drop in inaudible specter, and that is irrelevant to end-user.
do we agree now?

...For gaming its all about what you play and how seriouse about sound you are, for most people medusas, the zalmans, or fatality headphones work great. Also some people would not even notice the diffrence between them or say a set of HD555s or even 595s, these kinda of people should stop reading ;)

I used to play competitive conterstrike on a pro level (winning team on multiple lans, as well as online leagues/tournamnets) and have been using entry level pro gear for ages, granted i started on a set of behind the head sony headphones... that at the time i thought were nice, though uses as well as needs evolve. i quickly moved up through headphones finally ending up with a set of amped HD500s and for gaming these things are perfect. The ability to be good at Counter Strike is primarily based on spacial awareness, with these HD500's (yes they are stere) i can pinpoint exactly were a sound has come from, no matter my orientation in the game.....
you cannot put zalman and creative labs in close comparison, creative is legend in sound products :S

it's not true that you can have complete vertical positioning of enemy with stereo headphones, it's impossible because drivers in stereo headset are put in horizontal .
i'm not saying it's the most important thing to choose headphones, just saying that headphones with multiple drivers in each cup have huge advantage in vertical positioning if they are quality made!

also, fact that razer is making great mouses doesn't have to mean that their headphones can compete with top of gaming headphones!
more people will say (i think) that razer headphones are better than creative labs ones, but that is highly debatable;)
so, leave urban legends behind xD

when I said "multiple drivers are multiple drivers.." I meant nothing can replicate the physicality of multiple drivers. my entire choice of purchase of the Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 was based on positioning nothing else. you want to talk about gimmick the new Logitech G35 ($132 USD) is marketed as 7.1 Surround when in reality they use 2 drivers and Dolby technology $56 USD more than the Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1 ($76 USD) and from the reviews they don't sound all that well. that is my entire audio setup for both computers. i'm not familiar with the HD437 but I know there is a huge difference between even the smallest models like the HD201 and HD202. the Creative Headset has been out at least 2 years now? and this is the first time I have ever heard someone praise it honest to god.
glad to see someone shares my opinion, or at least part of it:)

Last edited: