1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Health issues forcing me to look into a new system

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by DTV DRAGON, Sep 5, 2010.

1. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey guys as some of you know i have not been in the best health for a number of years.And iam thinking of getting a new computer or a good laptop for the kids and wife to use,Iam veryn happy withm my current setup,butm iam just thinking ahead cause my current setup will require water loop changes,etc.its a super stable system, butm maybe just a little to much upkeep.so i was thinking of selling this and getting a realy good i7 or i9 cpu setup that will kick ass at stock clocked speeds.ive seen some nice laptops with a 5870 video card,so it should handle gameing as well.if you have any suggestions or comments please let me know what you think

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. afw

afw New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    did not know that. i thought it was a 5870, this si why it is good to ask questions lol

4. caoder New Member

Thanks Received:
    what's the usage for the kids and wife? honestly don't need a top end computer for just youtube and facebook lol. but if its gaming anything along the lines of your computer's performance should last a maybe 1-2 years without any major changes. simply goin back to air would save u a lot of trouble only needs a lil clocking back tho. and laptops.. aren't exactly for gaming.. to roughly estimate performance toms hardware 's charts about gpu performance can be estimated with 2 ranks lower mobility vs normal.

5. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I agree

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

air cooling, for sure - even if its at stock clocks, its much less hassle.

i9 dont exist yet, afaik. i7 do, ofc.

mobile 5870 is the same as a desktop 5770 - dont be fooled by model numbers on mobile parts (and yes, nvidia do it too)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2010
  7. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Switch back to air instead of the laptop,a Coolermaster Hyper212+ is pretty good.

DTV DRAGON says thanks.
  8. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    you know yes iam spending time with family but my other interstest was puters and comming mhere an listning to others ho love setting up the systems like me,i learned how to water cool my puter from good guys on here,how to o/c my 5870 and stick that on water as well.

9. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey guys thanx for reading my post.

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I suggest you go back to air...so much more power in a desktop = longer useful life, plus then you don't have to deal with selling your stuff off, other than the cooling bits.

DTV DRAGON and JrRacinFan say thanks.
  11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    As some of us have said, perhaps you should just downgrade to air? the Hyper 212+ with an extra fan comes into mind (I have one and its great on my i7 c0 at 3.8ghz)

12. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Like the others, I would just make the switch back to air with your current PC and sell of the loop. You did keep all your stock coolers and stuff went you installed the loop right?

13. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    You can, however, not only keep your current desktop, but also get yourself a nice laptop

14. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    nope sold my air stuff,guess I will check ou the for sale forume and see what i can deal on,prolly keeping what i have and tuning it back down again is best for now. later on we will see thanx again guys

15. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats what i was thinking as well. this way i do not have to go to my puter I can get it brought to me lol

16. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to be curious, but where in Canada are you? :p

any cheap aftermarket cooler is better than the stock cooler anyways

I could sell you my whole system for a loss and downgrade to a lappy and mini-ITX system, if you are interested :)

LOL your lazy xD But it is quite a valid point, idk about your health condition, but you may not feel good enough to go sit at your desk, it would be better to be comfy in your bed

P.S: Try avoiding double posts ;)

17. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    iam located in yorkton, saskatchewan ,a small town (wich i terrable for getting puter stuff)

n-ster says thanks.
  18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    If ya wanted to trade W/C parts for air parts, I'm sure one of us might be into it. ;)

If you are looking for true portable, then I guess a laptop is the only way to go...you pay so much more, and give up sso much performance though...but I'm sure you are aware of that.

DTV DRAGON says thanks.
  19. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Hey, come to think of it, I might even be interested in changing to water xD

DTV DRAGON says thanks.
  20. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    sell the water loop grab a FRIO + fancontroller + 2 delta 113cfm 120x25mm fans from pauld5999

total cost is around $55+30+15 =$100 sell your water loop and your in the green

the above setup lets my 965BE hit 4ghz cpu 2400nb at 53'c at silent fan speeds loud ass fan speed its 48'c linpack load well worth the cost of course the 2 stock fans on the FRIO are decent with fan speed knobs just if the knob breaks the fan defaults back to 800rpm speeds and it SUCKS build quality on the stock FRIO fans is suspect. Eitherway man I suggest a FRIO i got one and it can take you to 4ghz + stable 24/7

for reference 4ghz cpu 2.4ghz NB i used 1.525v and 1.3v and top out around 53c at 2500rpm speeds my deltas go all the way up to 3500rpm

DTV DRAGON says thanks.