• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hear Every Detail: Logitech Unveils Theater-Quality Surround Sound Speakers

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Even in that situation, these are still junk. For the amount of money they are charging, they should have better quality speakers (at least give us a proper 2 way design on the sats, ffs.), and HDMI inputs.

And for your space? Polk RM6750's with amp of your choice. Sats are the same relative size, and sound several times better. Polk Audio RM6750 Black 5.1CH Home Theater Speaker...

and as far as i can see, those only have two stereo inputs? no SPDIF, no DD/DTS? what am i missing?

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
and as far as i can see, those only have two stereo inputs? no SPDIF, no DD/DTS? what am i missing?

They need to be amped. I'm just showing you that Home Theater doesn't mean you have to have large floorstanding or bookshelf speakers. There are plenty of Micro sat options that sound infinitely better than anything Logitech produces.

And I call BS on not being able to fit Small bookshelf speakers anyway. Where there's a will, there's a way. Get a different desk, buy some speaker stands, hang them on your wall anyway and just learn how to use Spackle and paint, or redneck engineer a solution.

There simply is no excuse to buy these speakers for this amount of money, period.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
sorry but that is no where near "theater quality."

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Sure it is...in a 4x8x8 box of a room. Screaming loud, crappy sound, either too much, or too little bass. Seems like ever theatre I've been to.

ahh, i see what you did there.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
ahh, i see what you did there.

Well, it brings up a critical point.

I've not met one person that actually set up thier speakers in the same fashion they are tested with. Usually testing involves placing mics in a "sweetspot" where the audio is near-perfect, and in most theatres, that spot just doesn't even exist.

Get this, the THX certifcation has nothing to do with theatre sound, even.

THX Certified Multimedia Products are designed and engineered for PC gaming and multimedia on the desktop.

:eek:

Did you catch that?

Distortion-free Playback: THX Certified Receivers and speakers are designed to recreate Reference Level with minimal distortion.

And that is all THX means.

:shadedshu

yippie. Yahoo.

Manufacturing receivers and speakers that can achieve THX Reference Level is no simple task. It requires a tremendous amount of power to drive an audio system effortlessly without clipping or distorting. To ensure the audio products can reach this peak performance, THX developed a set of standards as part of its THX Ultra2, THX Select2 and I/S Plus certifications

logitech said:
distortion-free bass.

:laugh:

Nuff said.

:laugh:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
meh, i could give a rat's ass about george lucas' idea of quality audio...

the theaters around me all have very good audio. clean and crisp and rarely too loud or too soft. also, the surround in most occasions punches through nicely. that being said, i can see how a lot of theaters lack the proper acoustics and equipment to match.

im a bit of an audiophile so im willing to spend a bit extra on a nice setup for our media room. i also am not willing to be raked over the coals though for great sound. it is amazing how simply doing a couple hours of research on sound design can stretch a budget. if any of you lived in my area i would invite you over for a screening of master and commander on bluray. you would think i spent $20,000 on the setup but that's not even close.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Sure. Definitely possible.

It's also possible these speakers can do a pretty good job...in the right environment. Chances are, it wasn't someone's messy bedroom they were "tested" in, either.

THX means minimal distortion, not distortion-free, so there's something to be said there.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
even in a laboratory these speakers won't sound theater quality though.

System Name Frankenstein v7
Processor Intel i7 2600K (@ stock)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 7870 WindForce 2GB
Storage Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S24C750
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit
Perhaps half the issue here is the non-standardised methodology of what is classed as "theatre quality".
Sure, the original standard of THX was quite good (in keeping with the equipment available at the time for most theatres/home users), negating the need for anything less than 40Hz was, in my opinion, just outrageous.
Since then (early 80's I believe, but I cannot find the link atm :/), the standard has been upgraded.
All it boils down to is:
1. the hearing of the user;
2. usage of the set-up in question (games/music/movies/mixture thereof/whatever);
3. cost of said equipment.

Most people will look at the dollar value long before anything else comes into the equation - we all know that.
The [semi]audiophiles amongst us know that *ANY* speaker-set designed for the PC will be crud to our delicate hearing :)p), but they *DO* fulfill a role in the market segment they cater to.
What matters then is how well they cater to this segment and I believe Logitech does so quite well.
As has been pointed out many times before, this may not be at a pre-conceived price-point, or even alluded to such, but it *DOES* fulfill its role for those using these PC set-ups.

Again.. an audiophile or music purist, wouldn't touch anything marketed as or designed for "PC/iPod user", as this is substandard, especially when mated to on-board sound.
For gaming, however, they do the job just nicely and that's all that matters to the consumer in the end.

One can talk endlessly about the pros & cons of PC sound and/or speaker-sets, but in the end the major players are targeting their segment of the market rather well, with equipment of acceptable quality for the roles they're meant to play.
If you want true audio-fidelity, you wouldn't even bother with this market segment, or speakers for that matter (outside of the sound-scape environment).

All a user can be recommended to do, is buy the best they can get for the PC and encourage the use of an EQ for personal listening pleasure :)
The brand of said equipment is, ultimately, of no real consequence at all.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Perhaps half the issue here is the non-standardised methodology of what is classed as "theatre quality".
Sure, the original standard of THX was quite good (in keeping with the equipment available at the time for most theatres/home users), negating the need for anything less than 40Hz was, in my opinion, just outrageous.
Since then (early 80's I believe, but I cannot find the link atm :/), the standard has been upgraded.
All it boils down to is:
2. usage of the set-up in question (games/music/movies/mixture thereof/whatever);

Most people will look at the dollar value long before anything else comes into the equation - we all know that.
The [semi]audiophiles amongst us know that *ANY* speaker-set designed for the PC will be crud to our delicate hearing :)p), but they *DO* fulfill a role in the market segment they cater to.
What matters then is how well they cater to this segment and I believe Logitech does so quite well.
As has been pointed out many times before, this may not be at a pre-conceived price-point, or even alluded to such, but it *DOES* fulfill its role for those using these PC set-ups.

Again.. an audiophile or music purist, wouldn't touch anything marketed as or designed for "PC/iPod user", as this is substandard, especially when mated to on-board sound.
For gaming, however, they do the job just nicely and that's all that matters to the consumer in the end.

One can talk endlessly about the pros & cons of PC sound and/or speaker-sets, but in the end the major players are targeting their segment of the market rather well, with equipment of acceptable quality for the roles they're meant to play.
If you want true audio-fidelity, you wouldn't even bother with this market segment, or speakers for that matter (outside of the sound-scape environment).

All a user can be recommended to do, is buy the best they can get for the PC and encourage the use of an EQ for personal listening pleasure :)

i still think that in the end for the money a consumer can purchase for slightly more money a HTIB that sounds far better than this logitech setup. sorry for the run on sentence but it is late and i need bed.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
All it boils down to is:

These do not do their job nicely. A 5.1 set that costs half as much will sound just as good, and fulfill the role of the gamer perfectly. There is absolutely no reason to buy these speakers.

Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Case Antec P280
These do not do their job nicely. A 5.1 set that costs half as much will sound just as good, and fulfill the role of the gamer perfectly. There is absolutely no reason to buy these speakers.

With all due respect, the system you showed as an example doesn't even have the same sensitivity or frequency response & cannot, therefore, be put in the same class, even if the components used are of a far higher quality..

Once again.. I agree with you on an audio level.
BUT!
For what they are AND the market they cater to, Logitech, Klipsch et al, do a decent enough job to cater to said market.

If you want true Fidelity.. why are you even looking here? ;)

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
With all due respect, the system you showed as an example doesn't even have the same sensitivity or frequency response & cannot, therefore, be put in the same class, even if the components used are of a far higher quality..

Once again.. I agree with you on an audio level.
BUT!
For what they are AND the market they cater to, Logitech, Klipsch et al, do a decent enough job to cater to said market.

If you want true Fidelity.. why are you even looking here? ;)

No, what I posted earlier is better in every way. Better, more flat response, higher sensitivity and, when paired with a good receiver, also more powerful. Logitech overrates their stuff, in case you didn't know. They list their RMS output at a much higher THD than the likes of Onkyo and such.

And you still seem to be missing something here. These speakers cost $350. You can get "good enough for the gamer" for at least half of that. Sonically speaking, these offer no benefit over a much cheaper computer speaker set.

I'll say it again. There is no reason to buy these at this price. $200? Sure, worth every penny very likely. But for $350, they need to be offering much, much more than they are. Hell, these don't even have HDMI input. It's just unacceptable all the way around. They are severely price gouging.

These are in no way worth what they charge. That, by definition, makes them a piece of shit.

Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Case Antec P280
No, what I posted earlier is better in every way. Better, more flat response, higher sensitivity and, when paired with a good receiver, also more powerful. Logitech overrates their stuff, in case you didn't know. They list their RMS output at a much higher THD than the likes of Onkyo and such.

And you still seem to be missing something here. These speakers cost $350. You can get "good enough for the gamer" for at least half of that. Sonically speaking, these offer no benefit over a much cheaper computer speaker set.

I'll say it again. There is no reason to buy these at this price. $200? Sure, worth every penny very likely. But for $350, they need to be offering much, much more than they are. Hell, these don't even have HDMI input. It's just unacceptable all the way around. They are severely price gouging.

These are in no way worth what they charge. That, by definition, makes them a piece of shit.

Yes. And no.
To begin with the sensitivity of this new set would have to be around that of the old set (>115Db & 33-20KHz - far outstripping your given example, but let's not get picky).
Home HiFi caters to a different market and this is what you fail to see.
Yes.. these Logitech speakers are a ridiculous price - we all agree on that, but at the same time, the market they cater to is willing to pay such a price, for whatever reason might miff you or me.
Such is as it is.

IIRC, the Z-5500 came with a 3a fuse. That didn't inspire confidence in its 505w RMS rating..
4A actually, but point is certainly taken :)

Perhaps this seems clear as mud, when it's clear as day to me: HiFi is for the audio-sensitive people amongst us (yes.. this includes me).
PC-audio speakers is for the gamer's market, as was already pointed out by Mussels as well.

Never the twain shall meet ;)

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Yes. And no.
To begin with the sensitivity of this new set would have to be around that of the old set (>115Db & 33-20KHz - far outstripping your given example, but let's not get picky).
Home HiFi caters to a different market and this is what you fail to see.
Yes.. these Logitech speakers are a ridiculous price - we all agree on that, but at the same time, the market they cater to is willing to pay such a price, for whatever reason might miff you or me.
Such is as it is.

4A actually, but point is certainly taken :)

Perhaps this seems clear as mud, when it's clear as day to me: HiFi is for the audio-sensitive people amongst us (yes.. this includes me).
PC-audio speakers is for the gamer's market, as was already pointed out by Mussels as well.

Never the twain shall meet ;)
No, Logitech's specs are full of shit. Totally exaggerated. They do not hit their ratings AT ALL. What I posted has much more honest specs listed. Those speakers I posted are better in every single way. They take less power for a given volume, have a flatter response curve, have more clean output on the sub, and have better overall frequency response. When paired with a decent amp, the sats have more power output as well. For the record, the sub actually hits below 30hz with proper placement. Polk rated it in a test chamber, not in an optimal placement setting. I know, because I own that set for my gaming only computer with limited space. ;)

And a gamer willing to pay the price for these makes them no less a shit product.

Gamers will continue to fork out outrageous sums of money for inferior products unless somebody continues to try to educate them, and points them in the right direction. At very least it will force manufacturers to lower their prices, but preferably, it will force the to release a higher quality product for the price. We need more of a push towards audio quality in the industry. We are desperately missing things like the ProMedia 5.1 sets, or the M Audio LX4 sets of yesteryear. Instead we pay similar prices for 1/3 the quality. It's sickening what companies like Logitech have done to the industry.

Last edited:
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Case Antec P280
Gamers will continue to fork out outrageous sums of money for inferior products

This is the point I'm making here ;)
For every market, there's a customer willing to pay the price.
Anything beyond said market is, in all reality, quite academic.
Neither you nor me would pay such money for such a product, but the vast majority out there would, because *it sounds good* to them & it's easy to use & set up.
Regardless of what we might think, this is a good move (business-wise) by any company - be it Logitech, Klipsch or whomever.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
This is the point I'm making here ;)
For every market, there's a customer willing to pay the price.
Anything beyond said market is, in all reality, quite academic.
Neither you nor me would pay such money for such a product, but the vast majority out there would, because *it sounds good* to them & it's easy to use & set up.
Regardless of what we might think, this is a good move (business-wise) by any company - be it Logitech, Klipsch or whomever.

Unless we educate said gamers, and they again demand more.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
I got my z-5500 for new at half price. So i'm happy with them, why are these superior/better/different?

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Case Antec P280
Yes to both of the above :)
Education is the key, but how many will be persuaded to "see the light" (for lack of a better phrase)?
You buy your PC, and your printer and whatever else and "oh.. are those speakers any good?".
"Yes sir, they will shake your house's foundations whilst playing WoW!".
"Awesomesaucenecessity! I'll take them too!"

Not..
"They're OK if you're stuck in a student's dorm, but in all reality.. you should go the shop xyw for a much better system that will shake your neighbourhood to its foundations, with clear resonance to boot".

Easy sale.
Been there.
Done that.
AND .. totally disagree with such methods, but such is the way it is :/

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
I got my z-5500 for new at half price. So i'm happy with them, why are these superior/better/different?

Half price as in $175? If so, they are worth that much.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
Half price as in $175? If so, they are worth that much.

As in I complained to Logitech that my £15 speakers were going to crap after 3/4 years of use, and they gave me a 50% of coupon. I used it to full advantage and scored the z-5500 with 50% of what ever the retail price was back then. About a year ago.

Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Case Antec P280
As in I complained to Logitech that my £15 speakers were going to crap after 3/4 years of use, and they gave me a 50% of coupon. I used it to full advantage and scored the z-5500 with 50% of what ever the retail price was back then. About a year ago.

Nice move mate XD
Well.. as Wile_E pointed out, for that price, the Z-5500 is quite acceptable indeed ;)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Nice move mate XD
Well.. as Wile_E pointed out, for that price, the Z-5500 is quite acceptable indeed ;)

i got mine for $300 Au, about 3 years ago. rating them based on logitechs RRP is stupid, as their RRP is waaaaaay above what most places charge.