• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Heatsink epoxy or 3M Thermal tape?

K

Krunch

First off, I made some heatsinks for my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb card out of an old P2 heatsink I had laying around..., they fit perfectly, now wondering "okay... how do i stick them on there?!"

Q: What is the most common/cost effective way to perminently attatch a heatsink? I've heard 3M slim double sided thermal tape mentioned here and there in various O/C'ing forums, but where would one find these localy? Fred Meyers, Sears, etc etc...? Also i've heard of Epoxy. Which kind is the best to use, how much is it and where would one find it localy?

Q: In your opinion(s), which is a better means to attatch a heatsink; Epoxy or Ducktape? lmao, j/k lol!!! no seriously, Epoxy or 3M thermal tape?

Go ducktape! lol :D :eek: :rolleyes:

Krunch

pablofrogo

Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy. The most conductive permenant adhesive fo this kind of thing. available from online retailers everywhere, you won't have to look far.

Slayerstaps

depends on what you want. You want em to stick forever and you want em to have good contact with the mem chips then u need artic silver epocy. If you plan on selling it later on (most people are scared u wrecked the card with putting those sinks on or they think it's bad) you should use the tape it's still good and will cool good enough and your mem sinks are still easy to remove...