1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Heatsinks recommendation for Asus R9 290

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Octopuss, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I plan to Kraken my Asus 290-DC2OC, because that at first awesome looking cooling is not that awesome as you'd expect after you observe it for some time, especially in really hot summer like this.
    The plan is to either find a deal on X40, or wait until X41 is available in this banana country. Of course with the G10 bracket.
    However, I am reading horror stories about VRM temperatures jumping through the roof of hell by going that way, so I need to take some precautions.
    Could I get some recommendations for heatsinks that would work well with this card? It's not reference PCB, so it might be a bit tough... Does anyone have first hand experience maybe?

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Alpenfohn do a VGA heatsink kit. Stick those on the VRM's and inductors, and the G10 bracket should have room for a single 120mm fan over the VRM sinks. I've used a set like that in the past on a 1200mhz overclock at 1.2v on the GPU core, without a problem.

3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    Well if you are worried about them you can always just go for the basics like the Arctic series which do a pretty good job of cooling all components of the card.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHMJIIO/?tag=tec06d-20

4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah issue with that thing is that you have to get thermal pads for the shitting heatsinks it comes with unless you plan for them to be stuck to it for ever.

AC are pretty lame these days they used to do screw on vrm heatsinks and really wish some one would but not even Thermalright have bother this time :(.

Shame we have a steel place near by and not a aluminum place else i would have one made for it lol.

If go for any be better to get the Gelid GPU cooler just make sure it's the rev 2 version.
    ICY VISION (GC-VGA02-01)

Check with GPU-Z after gaming to see if it's even a issue. If it is it's probably VRM 1.

If any to go for it be the Gelid, just make sure it's the rev 2 version. Thats if that heatsink with the screw holes is for the 290 that is.
    http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=17&id=52

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  5. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    The DirectCUII cooler that you have on that video card is a great cooler. I think you would be crazy to change it. You should focus on your case air flow if your temps are still too high.

6. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I'd agree that the CUII cooler is about just as good as any of the third party ones(within reason) and won't create any headaches with installation.

As I mentioned in another thread, under volting is very doable on these cards and makes the biggest difference of all (second to liquid cooling).
    If you haven't all ready, put on Afterburner(or similar) and undervolt a bit at a time till your desktop starts flickering, then go try some games.

I do not know how the CUII heatsink works but if possible, separate the CUII shroud from the heatsink and strap on some 120mm fans. Buy a cheap fan controller or just run them into the PSU at full blast.

7. chevy350

chevy350

Thanks Received:
    If your not all too worried about your warranty you can modify the original plate on the card for the AIO and G10 and it will keep your VRM temps close to what they are or lower. I went that route with my 290X and also have the Gelid 290/290X enhancement kit tucked away in the desk somewhere. Temps are after about an hour of BF4

Attached Files:

8. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    True, but they do get the job done in the end. Though I agree those Gelid Rev2 coolers are pretty legit, but I would be curious how much better it would be over the DCUII already on it which was why I was thinking that the 3 fan might give him the most power if thats what hes after.

9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    He's worried about the vrm not the gpu. He might be even able to keep the DCUII cooler on it lol.

Sticking shit to a fragile peice of electronics is risky enough gluing it and the card fails your not talking a few $ in fact a lot of people would have a issue getting a replacement. That said not changing any thing and it kills it's self at least you have your warranty still.

I was going use the AC cooler but it would not fit on with the plate still on although XFX offered to help with matter it's just sending it in though lol.

10. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Which part of the post didn't you understand? I said Kraken, that means Kraken. I am not sticking some 3 fan clumsy shit abomination of a cooler on my card.

Have you ever actually owned a card with the cooler? It looks good, but that's about it. It's heavy as fuck, and makes my case vibrate a little in weird pattern. That's not the main problem though - when it gets hot, that thing spins to ridiculous speeds. I assume the idea is the airflow is restricted to certain direction by being enclosed in the top "cover" and blown out of the exhaust hole, but it does not work. The fans are sitting way too close to the PCB, and the air doesn't really get blown away much if at all. Then there's the matter of the backplate. I could fucking fry eggs on it! It does a great job at preventing any heat transfer to the case.
    I can't get more airflow in the case, but the card in it's default state is just too much. The heat accumulates and then hell breaks loose. I have one 120mm intake fan (but I don't believe in those anymore), one 120mm exhaust fan, and one 140mm exhaust fan at the top of the case.

I thought about undervolting, but Afterburner is out of question, because the card is not a reference one. Won't work :(Nevermind, it does!
    And noone will ever make me use that shit program from Asus. I had to reinstall Windows because of it. There's a post somewhere here about that situation.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  11. GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    Hey Octo, interesting place to find you... Internet is a small place I guess.

That card doesn't have a plate under the heatsink itself does it? I really wish more manufacturers did that... Would actually let me stray away from EVGA's offerings which annoyingly keep me to NVidia... You might be able to find some small heatsinks (along these lines) to put on the VRMs, but that's a fiddly job. Really the proper way to do it would be to go with something like Corsair did, where the CPU cooler attaches onto a full cover plate or just go with a home made water cooling loop.

12. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    lol, hi!
    You mean a plate like that on a reference cards? Works like a giant heatsink for the entire thing, right? I used to keep it on my previous cards when I attached different coolers like Accelero from Arctic Cooling.
    Maybe if Asus weren't idiots and put the backplate on the other side :p

13. GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking like a backplate but for the front side of the card. Never mind about my 760, it doesn't actually cover the VRM. The main heatsink itself has a specific part to cool the VRM. But there are cards out there that have a plate that covers the main heat emitting components outside the GPU die itself. And IMO It's something every card should have...

14. xzerqiin

Thanks Received:
    Hi, i have an xfx r9 290x and it has its own vrm and ram heatsinks and i placed it under kraken g10, anyway i think you could use http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=&id2=187&bid=5&sid=87484 and the likes from ebay/china, but as always, some sand papering might be needed because the height of kraken g10 from PCB will vary with the copper base of your AIO water cooler. Just make sure its not hitting the G10 and your all set. BTW don't use thermal paste, use thermal tape "sekisui double sided thermal tape"