1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hellgate London Demo

Discussion in 'Games' started by Grings, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man, been wondering about this game ever since I heard "former blizzard staff". Lets give it a shot.
  3. Nosada

Nosada

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the headsup. Pitty it's single player, but it'll do ^^
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Diablo was fun enough single player, gives a good feeling of the game anyway.
  5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There fixed it :)

Even thought the graphics are dated I can still while away the hours playing Diablo and Starcraft.

Zerg Rush FTW !

Hellgate Demo is coming in a little slow (~880Kb/s) but I'm stuck at work, so no hurry.
  6. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Same. I played through StarCraft a little while back. I still play Diablo 2
  7. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    I love the Diablo series, and still play LOD (FTW) here and there, will have to give this demo a shot this weekend. :)
  8. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    all servers are busy :(
  9. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    a111087 says thanks.
  10. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    downloading from file from on full speed :)
    EDIT: for some reason, the speed on that server sometimes falls to ~10kb/sec :D
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  11. Schmuv New Member

Thanks Received:
    From the Demo's EULA:

"3. Consent to Use of Data. You agree that EA, its affiliates, and each Related Party may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer, including without limitation your Internet Protocol address, operating system, application software and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online play. EA and/or the Related Parties may also use this information in the aggregate and, in a form which does not personally identify you, to improve our products and services and we may share that aggregate data with our third party service providers."
  12. dnoiz New Member

Thanks Received:
    .... it's a disappointment. I played it for 30 minutes now. The gfx are stupid. Just look "into" a building and all you see are big pixels. I'm on (very) high in all gfx options. I will not buy this game. I expected something else. I'll try again during the weekend but I think it will be gone by Sunday evening.

R.
  13. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't get it to run. Says my system does not meet minimum requirements. :wtf:

Must have something to do with Vista's memory caching and available RAM or something.
    Time to gooogle ....
  14. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Your not the only one :(
  15. Richieb0y

Richieb0y New Member

Thanks Received:
    worst game i ever played but thats just me
  16. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Like I said, I have not gotten it working yet, but there are very mixed reviews to the demo. Seems like it is only love it or hate it with no middle ground.

I just received this months PC Gamer and they gave it an 89 (Excellent) review. They said that the tileset gets somewhat repetative in indoor locations, but the gameplay was good.
    They did state that more tilesets are added later in the game as you progress.
    I know that reviews are subjective, but PC Gamer is usually pretty close to the way I feel about a particular game.

I will reserve any comments myself until I can at least get the demo working.
  17. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    graphics are not the best at max also i see no physics at all wen i try moving a box or something like that :\ it seems ok but i would of thought it was slightly better i feel oblivion is still superior rpg to this
  18. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Given Bethesda's track record and experience at making RPG's, and the fact that this if Flagship studios first game, I'll cut Flagship a little slack. If a company's first game is "decent" but not great, they are off to a good start.

Speaking of RPGs, I read that "Two Worlds" is almost a clone of Oblivion and is supposed to be quite good (Other than horse riding controls being a bit wonky).
  19. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    you got a point they do have quite abit of experience compared to flagship
  20. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Game looks absolutely good to me. You have to remember that Hellgate: London is a mmorpg with the option to play single player. As with most mmorpgs, they don't have the BEST graphics of the time. Another fact you have to take into consideration is the fact that this is a DX9 demo only.
  21. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Lot of problems with the demo?

I've been doing the online beta for nearly a month now, plays great, looks good, IMO.
  22. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I gave the demo a play last night. Wasnt to fond of it. The graphics are very nice, but the gameplay just seemed a little to slow for my tastes.
  23. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    I was also getting the requirements not met/game wont run (running 32bit Vista). It forwarded me to this MS hotfix page. about half way down the page is the dl's. I got the hotfix and Hellgate was up and running for me. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/940105
    Kreij says thanks.
  24. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I know, I pulled that update as well as KB936710 which you are supposed to load first if you are running multiple GPUs.

Thanks for letting me know that it fixed it for you, as I was wondering if that was the problem.
  25. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I installed the two patches and HGL works great. I played through the demo as a Blade master, and in my opinion the game is great.

The graphics are decent, the monsters are cool (even if the AI is a bit narrow), and I found the gameplay to be fun. The controls are easy to use and intuative to anyone who plays RPGs. (The demo hamstrings what you can do somewhat, but hey, it's a demo)

There is nothing ground-breaking here, but it seems to be a solid "diablo-esqe" implementation of a 3D RPG.

I did not try multi-player due to being on dial-up. It might have worked, but years of dropped connections and lag using a slow connection has taught me to not even bother.

I will definitely be purchasing this game, and kudos to Flagship on their first game out of the gates. If they continue to release expansions to this game using different cities around the world, I think they will do very well with this IP.

Update : I Played through the demo as a Hunter and it was not as fun using the ranged weapons instead of the melee weapons. Seemed quite easy to take things out, but that may just be due to the monsters they put in the demo (low level). It may also be that I prefer to get "up close and personal" when slaying demons :D
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2007