1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hello I Have A Relatively Simple Question RE: WIN FIGHT, Is Win 8.1 Like 7

Discussion in 'General Software' started by sebastian869, Jul 17, 2014.

1. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    I currently had vista and I played around with 7 for a couple of months and its vista on steroids some impotents some sugar to make ppl happy but not revolutionary. I've never see 8 or 8.1 and I read a lot that its really designed for tablets not desktops I though the 8.1 came out to placate the ppl pissed off they didn’t get a desktop OS. My question is if it's possible in 8.1 to make it look and act like 7 for the most part (The wild card are additional features and improvements to the code to make it boot faster and have some other sweets like in 7 you can have your back round swap from one pic to another. So are there any performance improvements to get 8.1 and can you make it act like 7 meaning having a desktop and have for the most part the availability to change the setting and set 8.1 into a 7 desktop with desktop icons and all that. (It's pretty retarded to MS to put out an OS that is pretty much strictly geared towards hand held table and especially since MS docent even heave great products in the market guess they are hoping they can emulate googles' OS. What I totally don’t get is that they would make it where average pc users don’t comfy and can use it like the previous version like 7. Would really love your input since I'm about to start a build and need to know if I should but 7 professional or 8.1, the only prob I have is I don’t want to buy seven then find out in 2-3 yrs they will drop support, I doubt it will happen that fast and I don’t know the features but id imagine 8.1 is faster and a better OS but with MS you never know I got millennium and I still have nightmares after that lol, can you turn the tile off and simple have the same desktop as in 7 and what is the biggest difference between vista and 7 that you can't disable or change.
    Thanks,
    Sebastian

2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Here's a start: http://www.wpcentral.com/make-windows-81-more-windows-7

Other than that (like they mention), there are 3rd party programs available (for $ no doubt).

Win 8 is the quirkiest ball of interface bastardization I've ever had the unpleasant opportunity to try.

sebastian869 says thanks.
  3. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Win8.1 allows you to boot to desktop.

It is faster, almost across the board, than 7.

There are a bunch of Start button options, that mimic 7's start button. The 8's start button goes to Metro but, it has a much better search than 7 or 8 did. 8.1, updated that.

8 has a smaller footprint and is noticably faster booting.

Also, if it can be believed, when Win 8.2, or 9, comes out later this year....Well, I think it is better to upgrade in steps. less likely to have major hurdles.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/windows-8-clubhouse.170632/

buzz through this club, there are alot of good pointer's and these guys will answer these types of questions with a knowelgable base, based on usage. i use it but not to the extent these folks have.

Good luck. I was a hater, right up until 8.1. By then I was more used to it and 8.1 did a lot to quench my hatred of it.

I say go for it. The more you use it the more you find things you like about it.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    @sebastian869 - I deleted your other thread. Don't make multiple threads asking the same thing. :toast: The TPU community response fairly quickly. So, just wait for a response. ;)

sebastian869 and Arjai say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    To answer your question, I recommend if you want to get 8.1 and make it look and act like 7 (except for the fact that it does alot of things better under the hood), then you should try Stardock's programs. Start8 is the start menu replacer, and is very good. But they also have another program that complements it as well called ModernMix. This will help you completely control every aspect of the Modern UI to meet YOUR tastes...ON THE DESKTOP.

I don't know if some of the others like Classic Shell or Start Is Back include this aspect or if they are just start menu programs, but I can swear by the Stardock ones.

Anf if you don't want to buy anything, W8.1 is a great improvement over 8 in that it is less intrusive on the way you want your Windows to look.

Arjai says thanks.
  6. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    My i surmise a little better than millennium? :)

7. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it's much better! Quirky interface or not, it's rock solid and speedy OS. And like we all have said, there's a multitude of ways to tailor the interface if Modern UI is not for you.

8. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    sometimes i misspell in the header and then i could not change it thats why i would do it twice, dont nothing from reposting back to back but i get ya

9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    7 fixed all of what was wrong with the nt code. Boots faster. Uses less resources. Highly polished. 8 screwed up bad with the gui.

10. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    so i surmise no blue screens? I agree with all you guys particularly with MS OSis you NEVER want to be the first guy to dive head first since you will never walk again. After millennium like in a soap opera i was hitting the screaming and crying why my god why me til the neighbors told me to STFU
    So with that said im looking for something that will emulate the desktop of vista or 7 w/desktop icons and rest of the stuff i'll get with time i just DONT want to be stuck in the revolving tablets or what evcer they are called.

11. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    8 and 8.1 are great, easy to work with and easy to choose whether or not you even want to deal with the Metro interface. Which once people get past the pissing and moaning of change isn't actually half bad even for an administrative or power user.

I still prefer a Windows 7-style start menu, but that's all I change. I go to Ninite.com and get it from there while installing browsers and runtimes. One and done. Free and fast, very capable.

8 is fast, smooth and stable. I've used it for a while now, and have migrated all my 7 machines over to 8.1. I will say the Metro interface works best on touch screens, tablets and smartphones (I have a Nokia 520). Drag your desktop to the top left location, that way if you end up in Metro and want a one-button push way out...push Enter and the top left tile is executed. Another nice and simple trick to an OS that otherwise is faster in every aspect that I've experienced. For people that don't like change or aren't willing to try something new, or flat out don't like it, stick with 7 and hope that the subscription-based Windows 9 is the solution.

Honestly I'm hoping with SteamOS that Ubuntu and other Linux flavors take off a little more aggressively as more widely supported options. I run Ubuntu 14 in dual boot on my main rig and laptop with 8.1, no issues at all. 8.1 is faster in most aspects. Gaming has been great.

This is just my experience and opinion though. To each their own. I chose to dedicate time to this OS as I have customers that use it, and once you get in the water ain't so bad.

:toast:

sebastian869 and rtwjunkie say thanks.
  12. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    I JUST HAVE ONE QUESTION, WHY DOSENT EVERY PERSON MOVE TO NYC, than we can have a bangin lan killing and drinking festival and help each other out (and the drinking game is simple you loose you take a shot)
    This way when ever looks up "epic" they would see us ITing and drinking

13. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    im still on my old POS i7 920 comp w/direct x 9 and was wondering if i can DL 8.1 and check it out before i abandon ship

14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Because Of the stupid gun laws there

BarbaricSoul says thanks.
  15. sebastian869

Thanks Received:
    I have an SKS which i bough legally in a store in LI. Than when i was coming to use range he asked me not to walk with it so he gave me a cardboard box. Now hand gun might be a problem and it cant be setup for auto fire. Guess if u want a handgun u ask a criminal lol

16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Or move to florida/Texas