1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help building new system!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by _jM, Nov 9, 2008.

1. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok guys.. as some of you know Im about to build a new rig for myself. I have/had the money to buy ALL new hardware but my baby (my pitt bull ) got real sick this week. The wife took her to the vet and came back with a 3200$ bill. I paid it:shadedshu I cant be mad because she is like one of our own and we would never put a limit on her life as far as keeping her a healthy pup. So... I only have about 800-900$ to spend now on myself:cry: heres a pic of what im buying, let me know what u think. Total price after shipping is $791.23...

[​IMG]

I will be useing my same case .. PSU (corsair HX620 modular) and HDDs(2 WD 250's 7200rpm) And my winXP home for OS. For the price im really diggn it, Im going to wait till black friday to purchase and see if the price drops on the egg. If any of you have any better ideas or deals please help me .. im really trying to get as much as i can for under 800$

EDIT:This will be my primary rig for gaming and multimedia and Folding.

Thanks guys :toast:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. blobster21

blobster21

Thanks Received:
    watercool the dog ? they usually don't like walking around with a cnps9700, that's my advice !

3. Yin

Yin

Thanks Received:
    save up all over again?
    lol
    the way i see it i don't bother upgrading unless my system lags like crazy or something.
    and the settings doesn't always have to be ultra high or even high.

4. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Read my sys specs.. Ive been using this for the last 4 yrs and this old P4/AGP wont cut it any more.. I need this upgrade. The parts that are left over are going to a old case for the wife.. and her myspace crap. I want to play the newer games with better fps then 20-maybe 40 fps.... I cant even think to buy a new game because i know my sys is stressed already.

5. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    look man i know your trying to be funny but Im serious about this.. i need helpfull coments please.

6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
  7. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    What do you guys think is the better choice in mobo..

DFI LANPARTY DK P45-T2RS

[​IMG]

ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45

[​IMG]

The DFI is 20$ more.. they both seem to be equal in specs. The only real difference i noticed is that the DDR2 on the DFI is 800 and the ASUS is 1066. The ASUS supports up to 16gb compaired to 8gb on the DFI. Im only getting 2 gigs and I may upgrade to 4gigs when i move over to Vista 64bit. They are both good boards to me.. so maybe some of you can help me out in choosing. Thanks Guys!

EDIT: Remember that I will be buying this on black friday so I only have a few weeks to decide.

9. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Umm.. no comments anyone.. your make'n me feel lonely:(

10. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    _jM says thanks.
  11. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    On the two motherboard choices, I've used both a DFI on an E8500 and an ASUS. I ended up going with an ASUS, but the DFI P35 was a favorite of mine. I personally love the look of the DFI boards too. They're both great boards.

As far as the Gigabyte that Binge suggested, I haven't used a Gigabyte since AMD days, but if you're thinking of adding in another 4870 down the road (which I would recommend), then definitely get a dual slot board.

If you can wait, it looks like P45 boards with extra PCI-Express chips are starting to pop up, which give you the higher overclocking ceilings compared to X38/X48, and also give you more PCI-Express lanes for GPU bandwidth.

12. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really like that board but the only problem i see that i might have in the future is that it only has 1 PCIE 2.0 slot.. and i noticed that there is no clr cmos jumper, it has been removed from that board.. well atleast it looks so in the pic when you zoom in on it.

EDIT: nvm i just looked at it at another angle and i see the jumper.. when u look at it from the over head view it looks like it isnt there.. lols

13. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    See i was thinking the same thing, thats why Im really leaning twards the DFI board. Because I AM going to end up buying another card during tax season next year. And im getting the XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE CPU Cooler and the red fan with the white led's should go well with the color scheme of the DFI too.But thats not the piont.

EDIT: sorry should have multi quoted .. im tierd.... im going to bed now. I'll get back to this tomorrow, nite everyone!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  14. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    GL with your decision. Just heed my warning about the P45's (especially the ASUS and even more so the DFI). These buggers are TRICKY to overclock, but if you take the time to figure it out, get to know the board, and crunch the numbers, it will be one of the most stable and greatest OC's of your life :rockout:

_jM says thanks.
  15. CStylen

CStylen New Member

Thanks Received:
  16. Binge

Thanks Received:
    For $10 more you can get another pci-E slot on that gigabyte board. That board is an easy overclock as well. I've seen FSB 590+ on these boards.

17. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
  18. Binge

Thanks Received:
  19. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would rather reenact 2 girls 1 cup than buy a gigabyte board.

20. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Geeze man that's pretty harsh... They do a fine job. I'm living proof! -satisfied-

21. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358

If you going tp roll with a P45 chipset, then your looking for a single card solution, I have a 3870X2, a GTX280sc and a GTX260 (216 core) and they all rock, or if you really want power get hte 4870X2, it just WAk.

the hole point of this board is GREAT OC and it a lot of fun, i haven't had so much fun with a gboard and there isn't a board i haven't owned, to a point.

I got my first 500 FSB, My first sub 10s super PI and also clocked my Q9650 to 4.86GHZ and all with this gig ON AIR, It like if you want ot get the full potential with your cpu and GPU then the GIG is a great choice!

I am sure there are otehr boards, but this has been the best board i have owned, and the best part with the MIR is it's 106.00 .....

the next step is putting he whole board on water... the sky is the limit!

my 2c

_jM says thanks.
  22. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the great feed back guys.:toast:

@ Viper Yea for the price and specs it looks like a good bang for the buck. And thats what im all about.. more quality for less cash. If you read my 1st post you will see why i have to bring the price down:cry: If i can find a Silverstone fortress for under 200$ i will look into getting one of those as well. But im really trying to focus on the board,ram, cpu, and a new video card. Speaking of video cards....

Im going to get a sapphire hd 4870 512. The card is 250$, but I can get 2 4850's for only 300$. What do yall think is the better buy there? 2 cards for 300$ or 1 card for 250$?

EDIT:Viper, is there a cmos rest jumper on that board?

23. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    the GTX260

PS yea, you need that for OC' ing.. lol

24. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    When i was looking at the board in newegg i couldnt see the jumper.. you can see where it says clr cmos but i guess the way it looks u just cant make it out in the pics:ohwell:

25. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    The "GSATA" Ports on that board is that anything like the ASUS Speeding HDD? Or is that just for a RAID?