1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HELP! burnt ram and broken ram slot :( am i screwed??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dice, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Dice

Dice

Thanks Received:
    today i received a new 8gb set of corsair vengence ram. when i powered on the pc i was greeted by continuous loud beeps from the pc. so i switched of and pulled the ram.... there was a faint smell of burning and i was greeted by this....

[​IMG]

and it gets worse looking at the ram slot the pin appers to be m.i.a.
    so wtf?! how the hell did that happen?

am i going to be able to rma the ram and the board? or am i stuck with single channel and half a set of ram?

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. PHaS3

PHaS3

Thanks Received:
    You could try RMA... sounds like a faulty ram slot or too much voltage applied to the ram. My money would be on the slot though, is the board new or have you used it with other ram?

Dice says thanks.
  3. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Well do you have your old ram??? If so... Give it a hot. Or try one stick (The undamaged stick ) In one slot. If it posts than you can start narrowing it down from there.
    Check your DIMM slots see if there are any bent pins inside. They are very tiny and hard to see.... but if you look hard enough you can usually tell.
    If one sticks posts in the first dimm slot than I would try seeing what your MOB manual has to say and what DIMMS need to be populated. If you can try the suspected DIMM slot by it's self try that too (Again with the good stick of ram.)

My Guess is though with out knowing anything else is there is something wrong with that DIMM Slot now. Whether it was done before this accident or during I can't tell with out more information.

Dice says thanks.
  4. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Did you test with the old ram?

In my book, if the MB is burnt, then Cosair own you one, but that just how I feel. Anyway you should RMA the ram since that is clearly not OK.

Dice says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Dice

Dice

Thanks Received:
    I had 8gb (4*2) running quite happily but having all the slots populated was limiting my overclock quite a bit so i upgraded when i didn't need to, like a knob, and ive sold them and bought a 4gb dimm set.
    Ive had the board since the p55 chipset was released.

The other stick seems to work but not in that slot.

just checked and it looks like the pin may have gone down into the slot, had to find my torch to see it..

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There's only one way to find out. Contact support for both the mobo and RAM and get things started.

Dice says thanks.
  7. watercooled New Member

Thanks Received:
    tricky one that i no some places dont accept that type of damage to the motherboards.

but its worth a shot m8

Dice says thanks.
  8. Dice

Dice

Thanks Received:
    it would be lovley wouldnt it : oops sorry about that have a new mobo.. cant see it though..

ive had it a while now so i think the rma is going to be with msi.. anyone got any experiance with their rma service?
    :cry:

9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Dice says thanks.
  10. watercooled New Member

Thanks Received:
    never dealt with them myself but i believe they have fantastic customer support

Dice says thanks.
  11. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    :eek: the pin is almost guaranteed to be in the slot. You have to be a dab hand with a pin to get it out whilst holding the motherboard upside-down. Although, I lost an LGA775 pin in the socket once, board still works perfect.

Dice says thanks.