1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help! Can anyone tell me what the problem is? GPU? HD?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by LGRamirez, Jan 14, 2013.

1. LGRamirez

LGRamirez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good day to you all!
    I just recently purchased a Sapphire 7870 OC Edition gpu to replace my 2x6870 crossfire gpus. After setting up the card (old drivers were uninstalled and wiped clean) and installing the latest CCC/ATI drivers I encountered this problem wherein my PC freezes whenever I play 3D games. A photo of the problem is attached. The problem occurs with several games (CODBO2, Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3, Hitman Absolution, etc.) and at random, sometimes I'm 3 mins into a game and my PC freezes, sometimes an hour, and the most is after 2 hours playing a game. The screen goes green (sometimes orange or black) with white vertical lines. I can still hear the sounds of the game (it goes on), ctrl+alt+del, altF4, alt tab, and pressing the power button once does not work so I just reset my unit. I reformatted my PC cause that's what forums ultimately advise to fix the problem but it still happens.

- I tried stress testing my PC (default timings and clocks and also OCed) and the results are stable.
    - Fur Mark results are stable.
    - Catzilla, 3DMark 11, Lavasoft stress test, all yielded stabke results.
    - my temps are fine ranging from 39C to 57C.

I did almost all that I can think of to determine the culprit but I can't. Just now I played Assassins Creed 3 and the problem showed itself once again.

My specs:
    i5 @3.2ghz, MSI P55 GD85, 2x2GB Corsair 1333mhz DDR3, 4x WD Black 500GB, Sapphire 7870 OC Edition, Corsair TX750 watts, Asus optical drive.

I would really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Try downclocking the video card with MSI Afterburner or Sapphire Trixx and see if it still does it.

3. scope54

scope54

Thanks Received:
    I get that too if i go too high on my memory overclock, but it doesn't happen at stock speeds (1000/1200). FYI i have mine at 1260/1330.

4. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Hellraiser1981 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a hardware problem RMA the card.

radusorin says thanks.
  6. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
  7. jagd

Thanks Received:
    Do you have latest drivers ? There was a problem with some intel chipsets mostly effected pci-e 2.0 intel boards ( yep ,they are on cpu now :) ) fixed only with latest drivers .Total war shogun thread fyi http://forums.totalwar.com/showthre...s-and-lock-ups-solution-being-debugged-by-AMD

Edit : I found link to beta fix information http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx ''Resolves a sporadic system hang encountered with a single AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU seen on X58 and X79 chipsets.''

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx This is link to 12.11 beta

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  8. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    do what this guy said.

Hellraiser1981 says thanks.
  9. Hellraiser1981 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why are ppl suggesting driver updates and such? Look at the screenshots, there is obviously a bad vram chip on that card. The problem only occurs when the video memory is nearly full and uses a bad ram sector (only gonna happen in full screen 3d, so furmark might work ok). The lines are a dead giveaway.

10. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    I had exactly the same once and thought vram was corrupted as it displayed all the signs.
    However, once I reseated the card in the Pcie slot I never had the issue again. If you haven't done so try that otherwise I would have to agree with Hellraiser, dodgy vram.

11. LGRamirez

LGRamirez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you all for your replies!

I've done all that most of you have suggested (downclocking, reseating, update and reinstall drivers, stress testing, etc.) and to no avail.:mad:

So I RMAed the unit. I also showed Sapphire the photo of the prob and they told me it's probably a faulty vram. The card was defective. Have to wait for a replacement. Thank you all again!

Kudos!

12. LGRamirez

LGRamirez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, I ran Furmark for 2 and a half hours with no hiccups. The problem only happened once I played 3D games. Plants vs Zombies went swell!:D

Thanks for this advise. You got it spot on!