1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help... Canada going pure HD now, don't know if my tuner will work?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by johnspack, Sep 7, 2013.

1. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I've got the Avermedia Hybrid Volar Max usb tuner. I can get over 40 digital qam radio stations on it, but no tv. On the 17th, my cable co goes full digital. Will I be able to use this tuner with that? They keep saying I need a digital box on that date, I hope that's not the only way?

2. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    If things work simler to what they did in the uk then i think you will be fine with your device.

3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I hope so, I didn't realize it would be this dam quick... I have to phone my cable co to bring me a digital box so I can still use my old 32" tv... dam.

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Hybrid usually means analog+digital tuner. I just Googled it to confirm and it has:
    •NTSC Analog TV
    •ATSC Digital TV

Assuming Canada is switching to ATSC and not digital PAL, it should be good to go. Keep in mind that ATSC affects only terrestrial broadcasts (e.g. roof antenna). Cable often uses encrypted Clear QAM. That Hybrid tuner you have also supports Clear QAM but only unencrypted channels. Most Clear QAM channels are encrypted and that tuner doesn't look capable of accepting a card to decrypt them. Long story short: if you intend to watch cable TV encrypted with Clear QAM, you're only viable option really is to use one of their damn cable set top boxes.

Crunching for Team TPU