1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[HELP] Changing a MXM II video card on an ACER 9920g

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Privteer, May 6, 2010.

1. Privteer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I have a 9920g... and I bought it from a guy telling me the video card had a problem... that was right : the display was weird, but when I received it, changing the CPU ( I upgraded to a T7700)... it worked perfectly with the original 8600GT !!! (t'was in January... and since, it works every day, even in gaming)

While this, I bought an ATI Radeon Mobility HD3650... a vendor told me it was compatible. But when I try to plug it... I have a black screen and the computer turns off immediatly after 8/10 seconds...

So, my question is :
    how to "flash" the vBios to install the HD3650 and, if I'm not satisfied, how to flash again the vBios to reinstall the 8600GT ???

could you explain me what I have to do ? I thought it was like on desktop... you plug, you start and put the drivers... but it appears there are many things different !!!

(sorry if my English is so poor : I'm a Frenchy...)

Please, use only terms I could understand : consider me as a totally newbie :)

2. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thread on Notebook Review forums about this very subject: 9920g GPU options?
    Have you tried connecting to an external monitor?
    If it's really turning off after starting, it won't help, but it certainly can't hurt to try.

By the way, the Video BIOS is specific for the graphics card and is stored on the graphics card; if you flash the HD3650, you wouldn't have to flash anything to put the 8600 back in the laptop.
    I'm not really sure where to find an Acer-compatible BIOS. Your best bet is to register on Notebook Review and ask PuddleDuck (the creator of the thread I linked above) if he's had any progress, as his signature on his posts states his system specs, and it includes the HD3650, so he's possibly had luck with it.

3. Privteer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

thanks for the link... I registered there and posted to the topic.

PS : when registering, I was asked from who I came on the forum... as you seem to be registered there... I put your nickname :toast:

If I understand what is said in the topic, it seems that the card delivers signal on external monitor, but needs a vBios update to run with the LCD

I'll try right now using an external monitor and will be back here in few minutes...

4. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool, I've never been a referrer I think :)

I hope this helps you out, and you get it sorted.
    Puddleduck did find a BIOS of some kind, so hopefully this is an easy fix for you.

5. Privteer New Member

Thanks Received:
    well... It runs better with en external monitor : I have an image... but the problem is still here : the PC turns off a few seconds after it started.

I also notified that the fan (?) doesn't start... I suppose the problem is here. The GPU is very hot and I used a cold iced block from my freezer to make it cooler, but it only stays 20s On...

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

The good news, is that in the BIOS, the card is activated... so, I think maybe my heat sink is failure

6. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The heatsink might not be attached properly to the GPU, or else the HD3650 is a bit too small for that heatsink's pad. Might need a new, thicker thermal pad to apply.
    MXM-Upgrade has the stuff you need (or I think you should need
    I'd check the GPU is getting contact at all first, make sure it's all screwed down well, before buying thermal pads.

7. Privteer New Member

Thanks Received:
    The HD3650 has exactly the same format and sizes as the 8600GT... and I've used thermal past (I bought 10ml when I changed my CPU)

I've just read that It seems to be a BIOS problem : I need upgrade my BIOS (not the vBIOS) but this upgrade is making me crazy !

:rockout: