1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help choose CPU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Silas Woodruff, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Silas Woodruff

Silas Woodruff

Thanks Received:
    Well with the big Maxwell launching relatively soon I found myself in a bit of a pickle on what CPU should I choose:

Intel core I7 5820k- Seems pretty good for it's price and even with fewer lanes I only plan on always using 1 GPU and maybe a sound-card, the problem is it's TDP.

Intel core I7 5930k- A little high on the price but still affordable, the only major problem I see is it's TDP at over 100watts.

Wait for Broadwell to launch. The reason for this would be lower power consumption.

I am looking to play the latest games and possible create models for games I like.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. frag06

frag06 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 5820K is probably the way to go. It's $194 cheaper and the only difference is the clock rate and PCIe lanes. Unless you plan to SLI, there isn't really a need to spend the extra money. You could put that torward an X99 board and DDR4 RAM.

Both of those CPU's have the same TDP, though, so may I ask why exactly is it a problem?

Broadwell isn't expected to launch for quite some time, I believe. Plus, a six core could certainly benefit you if you're doing graphics work, though, and going Haswell-E and X99 would futureproof you more than X97. Not to mention the 5820K is $50 more than a 4790K and you get quite a bit more.

You should definitely give Tom's Hardware's Haswell-E review a read.

Link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5960x-haswell-e-cpu,3918.html

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    Silas Woodruff says thanks.
  3. Silas Woodruff

Silas Woodruff

Thanks Received:
    Well I use my PC at a minimum of 6 hours a day even more if I have nothing to do so power consumption is important to me, ideally I would like to have a CPU at 65watts and a GPU under 200watts, if I manage to do power saving in other PC components(monitor, ram, HDD(or better said removal of it and using only SSD) etc) I will probably go 5820k but the defining factor would be how much power consumption would a Maxwell 980-970-960 have.

4. frag06

frag06 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there a reason energy consumption is the deciding factor for you?

Even if you use your computer for six hours a day, the difference isn't going to be huge if you go for a 5820K versus, say, a 4790K. Their TDP's are different, but they aren't using their full power all of the time. The same for graphics cards.

Unless your electric company is charging an outrageous price for electricity, you're not going to notice much of a difference. Assuming you put the computer in sleep mode or turn it off when not in use, I doubt you would see more than a few dollars increase for the entire year, if even that.

So, going for an SSD over an HDD isn't going to lower your bill by more than a few cents, but of course you will benefit from the speed.

If you really want to save money, get a Tier One Gold or Platinum rated power supply. They will be the most efficient and draw less power from the wall than an 80 Plus Bronze PSU. If your current PSU is of poor quality, you may be able to upgrade to these new parts and actually save money!

5. Countryside

Countryside

Thanks Received:
    Yeah go with 5820K and for SSD Samsung EVO\PRO or Corsair Force GS

6. Silas Woodruff

Silas Woodruff

Thanks Received:
    I would most likely get a platinum or titanium rated PSU and a Samsung 850 SSD, as for power consumption I guess you are right it's not gonna use it's full TDP watching a youtube video.

7. Agiels

Agiels

Thanks Received:
    i know this is not the place to post it, but this is the closest post for my question"

i have a i5 3570k and a friend of mine want to trade his i7 2600k from my i5 3570k what should i do ?? do i loss performance ? stays even ?? o what ?? i have a B75-D3P so if i don't use a 22nm on it i can't activate XMP so my ram will ran at 1333mhz ... should i trade it ??

8. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    I'll keep the i5.

9. Agiels

Agiels

Thanks Received:
    why make an statement haha

10. arbiter

Thanks Received:
    Well even if if you go SLI as long as cards are running least on 8x pci-e, its still on pci-e 8x 3.0. Performance will be almost identical as if both were 16x. even with current top end cards less you drop something like a r9 295x2 or titan Z's in it for quad SLI, then would likely be some bottleneck.

11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    You should start a new thread. Question in the middle of another person thread can get confusing. Plus people that are ignoring this thread will not see your question. But although tempting the i5 i5 3570k has features the i7 2600k does not. PCI-E 3.0 for one. But pull the info and compare. Then start a new thread for input