1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help! Computer not booting!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lithyrn, Oct 26, 2008.

1. lithyrn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, so, I am building a new computer and am encountering a problem I have never faced before: when I go to boot the computer, the fans spin up, the drives get power, but there is no display. I get no system beeps or anything (even when something is obviously wrong, such as no RAM is in the board... leading me to think it could be the motherboard).

I've tried to isolate the problem, I've tried running the mobo with just the graphics card, 1 stick of ram, and the cpu / heatsink hooked up, but I'm still getting nothing.

Here are the parts used:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400
    Mobo: NForce4M-A (ver.3)
    RAM: HP Memory - 1 GB - DDR2 - 667 MHz (part #PX976AT)
    PSU: Cooler Master (product # RP-500-PCAR)
    Graphics Card: Geforce 7200GS (pci-express)
    Monitor: Envision 22" LCD (running on VGA cable)

I am thoroughly stumped... Any thoughts / things to try are appreciated; I have a sneaking suspicion I'm missing something simple...

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It may be something to do with your video cable. Does your card have a dvi port? If so you should try using that.

3. lithyrn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I've tried the DVI port too, same result. I figured I'd be more likely to get some sort of POST or something using VGA.

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried clearing the cmos using the jumper or removing the battery?

5. lithyrn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I removed battery, switched jumper to clear CMOS for a minute or two, re inserted battery, and reset jumper to normal. I thought this was the right procedure but couldn't remember for sure...

6. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:

Try leaving the battery out longer and disconnect the power cable from your PSU.
    Sometimes it helps to remove the 24pin connection from the mobo so that all residuel voltage will bleed off.
    Give it about 5 minutes then put it back together and see what ya got.

7. lithyrn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I'll try that. Be back in a few with results.

8. lithyrn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Argh... Had the battery out for a good 20 minutes and still nothing...

9. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If your mobo has on board video try using it see if the video card is bad. If that doesn't work you can try using different memory if you have some to swap out. Other than that I'm at loss for suggestions, other than a faulty mobo. Hopefuly someone else can chime in and throw out some more suggestions. GL

10. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    Could be your monitor. Have you tried it with a different system?

11. mikey8684

Thanks Received:
    In regards to the post beeps and such ... does the mobo have a speaker/buzzer to begin with ?

Also have you made sure the 20/24 pin and also the 4/8 pin cables are connected properly ... I built a system for a customer and the 4/8 pin wasn't connected properly and the fans such fired up but nothing else.

Not trying to treat you like a noob coz you seem to no what your doing but sometimes people think its something so much more than it is. K.I.S.S. lol

Good luck

12. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Make sure that ALL power ports are connected to the mobo, as well as all the hardware inputs and expansion slot cards. What hard drive do you own and what have you uploaded on it so far? If nothing, try installing your BIOS and see if you get anything out of it. If you have previously used it on another computer before the build, wipe off the hard disk clean and then try again. If nothing works still, try using another monitor.