1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

help.. damage 5970, but still able to boot & did 3d bench. what should i do? thanks

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by niubreed, Mar 7, 2013.

1. niubreed

Thanks Received:
    hi all TPUers, :)

in short, i have a damage 5970 (physicaly) please see pict.. (please don't ask how/why its happend, i don't know) :confused:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    it has broken lock, some damage PCIE slot, & one damage componenent (near the broken lock) (i don't know what it is? resistor / or else? plase help, let me know)
    i tested it using PCIE extender, (i am still affraid to put this card directly to my mainboard PCIE slot)
    the strange things or funny things is.. the card is still able to boot into windows. (W7)
    and did succeed some 3d test. like kombustor, and 3d game bench like dirt3 & RE5. (Catalyst 12.10)
    GPUZ is normal. temp is normal (idle 55~60C, 100%load 75~80C) i think for this dual GPU
    please note: that i only test it once for all. then put it back uninstall again, until i know more detail / sure about this damage could do further.
    so what should i do? is ther any way to repair the "resistor" or waht component that is broken?
    or is it save to continue using it, but with pre-caution.
    and what pre-caution should i note if i continue using this card?

any help would be much appreciated.
    :respect:
    thanks & cheers
    :toast:
    ATB
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Gday. Id say your very lucky the card still boots and is 3dmark capable. I would suggest extensive testing is needed. It seems like the card is ok. Someone here will probably have diffrent opinions. Just wait and see what other people say before doing rigorous testing.
    niubreed says thanks.
  3. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    If it works you didn't damage anything to make it not work and you basically got lucky its not a paperweight

I would run more 3d apps if you can okay some games

I have a dead card that was damaged during shipping nothing like yours but it just gives me a led code and won't even boot to the bios and mb and pci-e slot still work fine
    niubreed says thanks.
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Ohh that looks nice. I can only see a damaged capacitor though, and usually cards will work fine with one brolen like that. Otherwise the lock is gone and there is some damage to the bottom of the connectors, but the connectors themselves looks ok.

Id say just go for it. If it works, it works.
    niubreed says thanks.
  5. niubreed

Thanks Received:
    hi all & thanks for your respond.

so it is one "capacitor" that is broken. is it safe to continue using it? is it some power related with capasitor component that broken?
    and yes i feel lucky the card still working. i just feel i need to know further, what posibbly could happend if i continue using it? related to that broken "capasitor".
  6. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    If your willing to risk it killing something else in your system go for it
    if it where me i wouldn't risk it
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Find out what kind of cap it is and solder in a new one.

As far as the other damage, it just seems to be cosmetic and I don't see any way or reason that it would "kill your other components". It's a video card, not a power supply.
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    How do you NOT KNOW how this happened? Did you force it out without hitting the release?
  9. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    Is it under warranty? Its possible to try and RMA it, but with damage like that it will be hard to get a replacement.

If its not under warranty, test it.. lots of testing, runing uniengine's heaven on loop for a full day would be a good start.
  10. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    i had one of thiese broken on my hd 6950 but on diferent place,and my card boot and worked half bandwith..,it sopouse to work on pci-e 2.0@x16,but becouse of that broken part it work @x8
    so all it can is reduce pci-e bandwith...,but any rtv-mechanic can solder that piece so it can work at full capacity!i fix mine so can u!!!:)
  11. niubreed

Thanks Received:
    yup, that is my concern. i want to know what possibly could harm further if i continue using it. since this is my first case having situation like this. and i am not expert or well aware about this type component damage.
    i am only regular user. know how to install & test the card, then use it. :)
  12. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    No way would this be RMA. If it still works your lucky and just use it