1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help!EVGA GTX460 768MB SuperClocked ruined my weekend :((

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by K.Lin, Sep 15, 2010.

1. K.Lin New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have to confess that I am not a pro at picking the right graphics card, so I bought EVGA GTX460 768MB SuperClocked just because of its over-the-top brand name. So I’ve heard that EVGA is number one in the States, is it really that good? This card was definitely not cheap at all, especially compared to other leading brands, but I didn’t give a shit if it was pricey, I want a good solid graphics card.

BUT!! IT IS NOT WORTH A GODDAMN PENNY!!!!:shadedshu

All I could see was the "Welcome" message on the blue screen with Windows 7's logo. And it just stuck there FOREVER!!!!! I couldn’t even get on Windows 7. It was alright after I changed it back to my good old 9600GT. I tried several times to solve this problem. Windows 7 safe mode worked alright with EVGA GTX460, well, it looks like it worked fine without driver… So I tried going to Win7 with 9600GT and removed the driver. Then, I could finally get on Win7 with my EVGA GTX460. So I installed the new driver. And then… WT*!!! It was stuck at the same f**king place again!:mad:

S**t…………… Did I waste my ENTIRE WEEKEND just to get on Windows 7?? !! I am such a retard for getting stuff without checking online first! Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to solve this freeeeeeeaking problem? Or should I just return this card and get a new one instead? Any graphics card recommendations? This piece of junk totally ruined my plans… :mad:

2. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Hy K.Lin and welcome to TPU.
    First fill in your system info, so that we know what parts we are dealing with. Than we can help you.

K.Lin says thanks.
  3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    WOW! Welcome to TPU! We kinda frown on the extent of foul language that you have used in your post but we will help u. As heky said fill in your system specs in userCP and please cut the lang to a minimum plz :)

K.Lin says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If the 9600 gets you into windows but the 460 does not, it can only be a knackered 460 IMO, I would RMA the card and try again. EVGA are a good brand, personally I don't think they are the best but we all have different experiences, I like Asus personally, if you bought the card from a shop then they might give you your money back, if you bought on line they are just likely to replace the card.

K.Lin says thanks.
  5. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Maybe a issue with the PSU not being enough to support the card. When he posts his system specs in userCP we can judge is his PSU is strong enough

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    +1 on probably being the PSU.

7. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    It can very likely be the 9600 drivers. With the 400 series Nvidia made some major changes.

Plug the 9600 back in (it will already be I think).
    Uninstall the Nvidia graphic driver you have in Control Panel, Installed Programms.
    Also use a Driver Cleaner!!

Power off. Exchange video cards, and boot. Install the latest www.nvidia.com drivers for your card.

I really don't think a PSU on the low side will not let him BOOT. Unless the PSU is already broken.

K.Lin says thanks.
  8. K.Lin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for being rude this way. I am just pissed off after so much effort taking. My friend told me that I may find solution here, so I registered today. Thanks for you guys’ warm welcome.

Here comes my system configuration. Is it really PSU problem?

CPU: Intel Core i7 950
    MB: ASUS P6TD Deluxe
    Memory: Patriot DDR3-1333, 2GB×3
    HDD: Seagate ST3320418AS, 320GB
    PSU: ENERMAX EMG700AWT, 700W
    Driver: nVIDIA ForceWare v258.96

9. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Well his PSU def is powerful enough. have u tried installing the 9600GT then uninstall ALL Nvidia software, then use driver sweeper in safe mode to clean out all files, then install the 460 and the new drivers?

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. K.Lin New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did uninstall NV and ATI drivers in safe mode, though I didn't use the driver sweeper.

11. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    If your only getting to the welcome screen it is unlikely that Windows has loaded/tried to load drivers at that point...... I might be wrong there but I think that driver loading comes at the back end of the process, have you gone into Windows in safe mode yet? if you can get in using safe mode it pretty much confirms it's a software/driver error.

12. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, he said it works in safe mode m8. I agree with you, sounds like driver/software problems.

PS: TS, before shelling out any £££ or $$$ on an expensive bit of PC hardware, always check on forums like this first.....you will be surprised how much cash and heartache you will save ;)

K.Lin and Tatty_One say thanks.
  13. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    In that case, go thru the process again of booting without drivers, then install drivers but perhaps check GPU-Z and MSI afterburner to see if anything looks odd.

K.Lin says thanks.
  14. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    I take it he's got 2x 6 pin power cables plugged into it? Thats not me taking the p!ss either. Sometimes the most simplest of things are overlooked :D

If all else fails, back up everything you need and do a fresh install of Win 7 :)

OT: TS, shouldnt you really be running Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, since your using 6GB of RAM?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  15. K.Lin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I tried but after installing the driver, before GPU-Z can work, windows needs to be rebooted.
    Yet there is no any chance to get into windows again under normal mode...

16. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    I know its a pain, but have you thought about a reinstall of Windows? I would also suggest Win 7 64bit so you can actually use your 6GB of RAM ;)

17. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7, be it Ultimate, Pro, Home, whatever.... is completely *irrelevant*, bragging rights for the Ultimate users apart, of course.

In the hardware area it only matters if it is 32 or 64 bit!

And reinstalling the OS is a crazy option, since Vista extremely rare to need such a step.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  18. Hugis

Hugis

Thanks Received:
    Just one more suggestion, if you have mates who will let you try your card in there system (just to see if it does the same thing) thats alot less hassle than a complete reinstall.

K.Lin says thanks.
  19. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    I would try with an OLDER Nvidia driver, just go back a few and then try again, i have seen a few times that the new drivers can have issues when loading windows. Give that a try :)

My m8 has a GTX 295 and it just hates the 258 drivers from Nvidia, went back to umm 197.XX and it works fine.

K.Lin says thanks.
  20. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    he is currently on Win 7 Ultimate 32Bit (god knows why your talking about Vista!?!?). I was suggesting he steps up to Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit (because he has Ultimate edition already) so he can make use of all 6GB of his RAM, not just 4GB.

If he cant test the new card in another system, to see if the card is defective, what other option does he have? (if he has tried everything else). Sometimes, a fresh install of Windows is needed. if he doesnt have a lot of data/programs to backup, I dont see the problem.

K.Lin says thanks.
  21. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    i just used your post to say it. sorry :)
    I see too many people informing us of their speaker brand, windows 7 sub-version (and sometimes not if it is 32 or 64 bit, haha) and mousemat size when tallking about solving problems :)

22. K.Lin New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK. I spent a WHOLE day reinstall my Win7, but it did not turned out well....
    I tried it on my friend's PC (his OS is Win7), but it stuck at welcome page as well. :(((

Then I found it's not only a single issue, cus someone bought EVGA's GTX 460 on Newegg got the same problem

Quote:
    "Cons: 1. Defective card. The card will seem to work ok. But you get random lock up of computer, at welcome screen, games, etc.
    2. Noisy at fan over %55-60"

Damn, it seems to be EVGA's problem instead of others. All I could do now is sending back to RMA.

Thank you all!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  23. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    No problem dude :D

Well at least you tried everything possible and can tell them this information when RMAing it :( if I was you, I would ask for a refund and purchase a cheaper version of that card ;)