1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help fitting arctic cooling s1 cooler on 8800gt

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Nick259, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    I've recently purchaced an arctic cooling s1 cooler which looks like this from the back, I assume it is rev 2:

[​IMG]

I don't want to screw it up as this is my first time changing a graphics card cooler, so i really need to know everything. I have some thermal paste, it's some arctic silver 5, I also have some thermaltake stuff if I don't have enough AS5. I have a total of 8 small ramsinks, a long one and something else ( it's in a sort of g shape). Also some screws.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Its an AC Accelero S2, not the S1 Rev2. At first things first, apply the RAMsinks, THEN continue with the actual cooler. I just mounted an S1 Rev2 to a 4850 today, but I guess its slightly different... as I have no clue about that g-shaped thingy. Refer to the manual, its quite accurate.

You do not need any supplement thermal grease, as the RAMsinks stick by themselves, and the Accelero has thermal grease already added to the copper plate.

Important is tho, that you clean off the remaining thermal grease on the GPU. Old thermal grease and fresh one do not like each other, and the heat transfer is not optimal! I use coffee filters for that, they do a good job.

Please tell us what further help you need.

3. ASharp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mmm...no, I think that's an Accelero S1 rev 1. Accelero S2 has 2 heatpipes...the one pictured above has 4 which is indicative of the Accelero S1 with the old mounting system (rev 1). Either way, the installation method is the same.

4. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    the thing that i am refering to as a g is the thing to the right in this picture (it really doesn't look like a g lol).

[​IMG]

PS. It didn't come with a manual (I bought second hand), any links to an online manual? How do I fit the RAMsinks?

5. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
  6. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd go with some AS5 as its surely better TIM than what comes on it...and that's IF it comes on it being second hand, I guess it will only be the original if its never been used.

Either way I'd use AS5 (if that's all I had, as I prefer MX2/Freeze)

7. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    would I need to wait for the as5 to dry? How exactly do i fit the RAM sinks?

8. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    No, you dont need to wait for it to dry (at least I don't and didn't have any issues yet). In fact, if you read some reviews about coolers here on TPU, they don't wait either.

Now the sinks: Just place them (with the foil removed, so they're sticky on the bottom) onto the chips, so that one sink fully covers one chip. For example, like this:

http://www.tinyland.org/PCStuff/8800GTS512VRMS.jpg

9. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    the RAMsinks work like a sticker peel off the paper backing and there should be a sticky substance on there knowen as thermal tape once the backing paper is off just stick it on the ram chip cnter it on the chip as best you can with the AS5 put a layer on as thin as you can and just put the cooler on there is no waiting time put it on the block and put it on the card

10. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    Fitted it and it has dropped my temps to 43C idle (65C with stock cooler) and I haven't tried load yet, although I would suspect it would be in the 60's. If I fit a cheap 120mm fan how much will it drop my temps? I don't care much about the noise as my freezer 7 is noisey, as is my dvd drive, and front fan...

Conclusion: The stock cooler sux (s1 :nutkick: stock)

11. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Accelero s1 's are pretty bad ass. My 3850 runs at 30 C idle.

12. FooArm

FooArm New Member

Thanks Received: