1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help for first time Memory OverClocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by gto78, Feb 17, 2007.

1. gto78 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just bought 2GB of PNY Optima PC3200/400mhz (2X1GB). It's part # D1GBPC32OPT. The package doesn't give the timing specs, so I don't know what the original timings are, and which ones I can mess with. I've only tried pre-set parameters that the MB had in the bios, but never manually changed the number of clocks before. I'm using an Asus A8N-E with a 3500+ processor.

Also, what are the recommended benchmark utils for testing my settings?

One other thing, I'm guessing the ram I bought is obviously nothing special and will not like being sped up at all- what heat spreaders work best?

Thanks

Joe

2. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok for a start you need to let us know if your cpu is overclocked and then download cpuz www.cpuid.com/cpuz and get your timings off there from the memory tab and p[ost a screen shot or post your timings and we can go from there :toast:

3. gto78 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's what cpu ID says, also the processor is running stock speed right now, Sometimes I set AI NOS or AI overclock to +3% or +5%, but nothing more.

Attached Files:

4. gto78 New Member

Thanks Received:
    also the SPD results from CPU ID

Attached Files:

5. funkflix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like some samsung based ICs. Can u post a screen of the SPD section in CPU-Z?

First of all u should try to force a Command Rate of 1T in ur bios! U will see a nice performance gain from that. If it work and u are running stock 200MHz, you can try to set the timings manually to 3-3-3-8 or maybe 2.5-3-3-8, it should work. :)

Edit: Oh, u already posted the screenshot. Then try 3-3-3-8 1T.

6. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    i am new to mem OCing also and right now i am running at 3.2.2.8 and 2T i am gonna reboot and try to change it to 1T. are my timing's ok or should i change them? im using kingston value ram :) haha, crappy i know but i am broke!!!

[​IMG]

7. funkflix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice luck with that "value" sticks. Their based on Micron ICs, which perform really well. :)

First u should try to get back your MHz to ~ 200MHz, by changing the divider in bios. If this are good Microns, the sticks should normally do 200MHz 2.5-2-2-5 1T 2,8V easy. :cool:

Edit: Oh, only the one stick seems to be a Micron.. Then better try 2.5-3-3-5 1T first with 200MHz.

8. gto78 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my other question was the voltage- what should I do with the ddr voltage?

9. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    it took me a min to figure out ohw to make it 1T cause there was a setting in my BIOS for 2T command i had to disable and then dig through the rest of the settings till i foud it but i did. i will reboot and try to get it back to 200mhz. i will just move up my FSB a little bit. im just shy of 2.4 right now but can run stable at 2.5. does it make sense that i get better Super PI times at slower CPU speed? i can get 38 seconds here but when i move up to 2.5 or 2.6 it is usually a few seconds slower.

10. funkflix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ur sticks should work best with around 2,6V-2,7V.

11. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was wondering about this too. if i try forcing a timing and it doesnt work should i try to bump up the voltage a bit and try again?

12. funkflix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try to set the correct divider for ur ram in bios first. As i mention u are running divider for 100MHz/DDR200 at the moment. Try to force this setting called "Memclock Mode"(*) in your bios to 166MHz/DDR333 and it will result in a frequency of 217MHz for ur memory. U can increase ur Vdimm to about 2,7-2,8V for that and first try timings of 3-4-4-8, then reduce the timings, if it work.

Her is a nice link, to calculate all ur MHz on overclocked A64-systems - http://home.arcor.de/xxmartin/Calculator/

(* http://666kb.com/i/alxdi8l5mhygwdxmf.jpg)

13. gto78 New Member

Thanks Received:
    this is after I changed the timings to 2.5-3-3-8 1T

Attached Files:

14. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just had a really big scare!!!!! changed the memory voltage to 2.8, save & reboot, no post......ok, no big deal, crash free bios.....power off wait a few seconds....power on....no post.....ok no biggie try again.......no post......ok unplug wait a few.......no post......WTF???!!! ok CLRTC and pull battery, smoke a cigarette..... still no post!!! oh dear god, what did i do.......RMA here i come, again.....swap mem around.....no post......try one stick....no post.....try other stick.....no post.......try other 2 ram slots....POST WOO HOO...power off and put back in dual chanel slots....POST WOO HOO.......WTF!!!! windows can not find hal.dll!!!???? oh yeah boot from SATA and not IDE!!! WOO HOO, now i am back to try it again, but with out the mem voltage change!!

15. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    haha, i forgot you are in germany!! haha i am asuming that Deaktivert = disable!! haha i want Deaktiviert!!!!! should i change my burst length to 8 beats i think it is only on 4

16. funkflix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, ur first real experiences with overclocking! :toast: :p

Did u changed something else then the voltage? Normally the pc do not stop booting by only raising the voltage for the memory. :)

:D

4 is fine, too. :)

17. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    nope all i changed was the DDR voltage from auto to 2.8