1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help I have killed two 1950xt's and counting

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by maxcherry2, May 15, 2007.

1. maxcherry2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I need some big help this is my 1st post so go easy?

I had a 1950 pro agp saphire with a EK water block all good then I changed my board and went to a core2 duo intel setup with a asus p5b wi-fi board. I changed the card to a 1950 xt pci and mounted the EK water block to it. Great I thought unitll I powerd up and the new system didn't post. No disply and the beep code suggested the graphics card. Weird I thought so I took the EK block off and put the standard cooler back on tested it again but stil nothing. So I RMA'd the card thinking it must have been faulty. Got the new card sent through but this time I thought I would test it first all good PC posted. Ok now I put the Ek block back on the card pluged it all back in and ARHHH!!!! no post and display. I sent an e-mail to EK Waterblocks and spoke to a guy called Eddy who said the block is compatable with the 1950 xt so that should be fine? I have put a volt meter to the copper of the waterblock when the pc is on and I get a reading of 1.2 volts can this be right? when the card is removed I can take a ohm reading between the copper block and the neutral pin on the power socket and there is a circut it is not a dead short but not insulated either. I put the factory cooler back on and put a meter on the mounting screws and they where the same reading. If I have shorted the card some where is this damage causing these readings or can someone test there card and see if this is normal. I can't risk busting another card as I don't think I will be successful returning this one? Help!!!! Please!!!!! :banghead:

2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I am pretty sure you are not installing the cooler correctly and the card is overheating and breaking.

3. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    a voltage on the waterblock means you are shorting out the card to the cooler. you either have improperly mounted the cooler or the cooler is defective. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT install that waterblock onto a new card. Send the waterblock to the company and have them check for problems.

4. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok you burnt up one card rma got another it booted put the cooler on burned up the other card yet Eddy said its ok. What I don't under stand is why you had to e mail the water block company its obvious their water block does not work on that card. Hope they RMA you another card and Don't put that water block on the new one if they do it does not work!
    anything else you need help with?:rolleyes:

5. maxcherry2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys thanks for your reply’s

In hindsight it is easy to say it is obvious that the cooler doesn’t fit the card put remember I didn’t check the first card so when it didn’t work I generally thought the first card was faulty. It was not until I tested and then broke the second card it became obvious. I don’t think the cooler is faulty as I have had it fitted to a 1950 agp no problem. I am looking for any one who has one of these blocks fitted to a 1950 xt without issues. I am fairly experienced at building PC’s and can confirm the block is mounted correctly. Or can anyone confirm why the screws to the originally factory cooler when refitted shows a resistance which is not infinity on the ohm meter?

Thnaks:respect: :respect: