1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help I think I just got hacked!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1nf3rn0x, Jul 13, 2011.

1. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Guys I'm pretty scared right now. A guy rang me and claimed to be from Microsoft? He said my software warrant was out of date. He then guided me to event viewer, where this was shown.

[​IMG]

He told me this is all the malicious software on my computer. He said my computer is ready to blow at any time, and that it is not running how it should. (IMHO it ran fine?)

Then he told me to go to www.support.me
    I needed a software code (which he gave me) to go into a chat room with a IT Technician. He then accessed my computer and typed msinfo32exe and etc and a huge wall of numbers popped up. He said it is now removing all these problems. He said he worked for Global Pc.
    After about 10 minutes and notification from my father, I stripped out the internet and turned off my pc.

Please guys, WHAT JUST HAPPENED? After a reboot my computer is fine?

So, were all my details etc stolen!??! Please help! My computer is on, but with no internet connection. I'm on my secondary pc.

EDIT: After some common sense I find that I'm in the all clear! They could of not done anything, they just wanted my credit card details. ! Please be wary if you get a call similar to this!
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. DriedFrogPills

DriedFrogPills New Member

Thanks Received:
    its a scam
  3. rizshinigami New Member

Thanks Received:
    Theres a probability that he could have stole ur credit card details from paypal(?) while he is in control of ur pc.Check with ur bank.
  4. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    DON'T PANIC :D

Firstly, you're kidding about this right? Seriously, do you answer your phone with your full name and credit card number? ;) (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

I'm not an expert on Event Viewer, but I don't see anything in there that bothers me. Besides, I'd be more concerned about looking at my firewall log if I'd been hacked.

Secondly, this is clearly a phishing scam.

Thirdly, you let an unknown person access your computer over the tubes? That's a big no-no.

In the USA we have a Do-Not-Call list which you can use to block scammers (which helps everyone). Hopefully your upside down country has something similar. :D

EDIT: Did some looking and your crazy country does in fact have a DNC list. If you're registered for it then you can lodge a complaint. Doing so helps out all the other people in the land down under.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  5. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Its a scam i have had that same phone call, I told who ever it was to F off
  6. DriedFrogPills

Thanks Received:
    I work in the credit card section of an Aus bank we get heaps of calls relating to this. It's a very elaborate hoax to get card name number expiry and CVV
  7. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    I did not give him anything. All has been resolved. He went into my computer HIMSELF and ran a bogus program to make it look like I have all these viruses and that he is "fixing it" for a small fee. But don't worry all is fine. I rang microsoft and they have also said they are getting many calls about this scam and they are currently tracing them.
  8. DriedFrogPills

Thanks Received:
    Yep we have a do not call list
  9. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    this is way old news this scam has been going on here in NZ since August last year also happening in Australia and other countries around the world from alot of different Ph numbers mostly though they're Indian callers and seem to get really upset if you try to tell them they're full of Sh!t some will even try telling you they'll report you to the police (to which you should always answer Go right ahead) see below

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=50&topicid=66095
  10. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    How in the world would anyone let a guy to take over his PC after a telephone conversation? Anyway that's the best joke, the event viewer shows you malicious software!
  11. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would laugh my ass off if someone called stating that they represent Microsoft:roll:
    Then I would tell them to go F---- themselves!!!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    seeing as your in here you know what event viewer is for but I can guarantee you there are millions of (socalled) dumb users who wouldn't have a clue about what they're seeing in it all they see are red x's and yellow exclamation marks :eek::eek::eek: and that's who they're targeting, those who don't know any better are easy marks for scare tactics like this :shadedshu
  13. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    "he" is untraceable because it is not an individual, it's organised crime.

I have fixed two rigs in the past 6 months due to this because they do install trojans on your rig given enough time. Our house has also had 4 calls in the past 2 weeks for the same scam.

Please do a full scan using your fav. virus prog., make sure no crap is on there.
  14. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    I dont even let my kids touch my pc, so some stranger on the phones got no hope in hell. ive not had a virus in 3 years :laugh:
  15. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I dont care if bill gates himself called me, I would tell any person that called from MS or any other stupid company saying my PC was bout to blow to go fuck himself and def wouldn't let them remote connect
    digibucc says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. chuchnit

chuchnit New Member

Thanks Received:
    hehehe what would they do if you told them you are running Linux?
  17. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yup, you were scammed alright.

As you let this scammer run an application on your computer, you MUST assume that it's compromised with a trojan. The only sure way to clear out malware is to format your HD and reinstall Windows. It's a headache, but it's critical that you do this.

Make sure you have your data backed up first and don't fall for this again. ;)
  18. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    System runs fine, ran two whole virus system scans. It's all clean. :)
  19. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't mean Jack Schitt, I'm afraid. Malware is stealthy and can hide from even the best antimalware software. You need to format and start over to be sure. No ifs, buts or maybes.
  20. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    You learned a very valuable lesson, thats what just happened.
  21. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    When we got that same phone call the person said they were from Microsoft and that i needed to turn the pc on because there was a problem with it and they needed me to goto some website lol.

I told the person i run linux and work for symantec so my pc is clean then i told him to F off.
    I would never let anyone who rang me have access to my pc
  22. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    He's right, you need to reformat it regardless unless you don't care about your privacy and safety.

Do you think when one of our servers is compromised that we just scan it and put it back online? No way! They are cloned and re-imaged immediately. It is not worth the risk, and someone could have installed a "root kit" equivalent, which would be undetectable. I'm guessing since these guys are so organized that they probably have some nice malware. If you don't reformat and reinstall windows you are extremely naive and are asking to have your identity stolen.
  23. Jamborhgini313

Jamborhgini313 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ahahaha damn man made my day with this story
  24. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Is this really happening on TPU? We are supposed to be at least a little less clueless than the average user.
  25. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    This site welcomes everyone from a wide range of technology knowledgeable background.

It takes all types, and I'm glad TPU is diverse enough as it is. Who knows, maybe this thread will help someone who gets the same call tomorrow and goes to goolge and searches it. Techpowerup.com gets pretty high search results for alot of my technical questions and if this thread helps even one person(which it has: Original Poster) then it's worthwhile.
    NAVI_Z, _JP_, CDdude55 and 1 other person say thanks.