1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help i think i might be doing something stupid!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hooj, Jun 17, 2011.

1. hooj

hooj New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, i have been using an ocz stealthxstream 500w bought from a trustworthy guy here couple of years ago now and seeing as he didnt supply a kettle plug with the PSU i used one from my old PSU.

The PSU is 500w (481.5w on the 12v rails) and i was wondering am i stupid using a 10Amp 250v~ kettle plug with this PSU?

Bear in mind it has been working without a hitch for the past couple of years...

Law-II says thanks.
  2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

I have a bucket load of these in front of me now and I am just checking the fuses, looked a three or four and they all have 13Amp fuses. I think you should be fine to continue with your "kettle plug" with the 10Amp;. Please feel free to see what other say though before you take my word for it. (if it aint broke don't fix it)

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
    robn and hooj say thanks.
  3. robn

robn New Member

Thanks Received:
    No problem at all since power equals Amps x Volts, so that 10 Amp fuse will let well over 1500 Watts through at mains voltage.

Since we're talking AC mains electricity we need to use RMS Voltage: 250 / sqrt(2) = 177
    Then 177 Volts x 10 Amps = 1770 Watts

Law-II and hooj say thanks.
  4. hooj

hooj New Member

Thanks Received:
    Phew, i don't know why i panicked but i just thought the plug was supposed to be somewhat similar to the PSU.

I literally have no idea what came over me lol.

Thanks guys