1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help! I think i screwed up!!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by stevednmc, Mar 26, 2011.

1. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Well, from reading the op's opening, he was not cleaning the socket, but the bracket.

However, he should have, either had the CPU in it or the little plastic protector that it came with.
    Should have or would have is a mute point at this stage in the game, I guess.:ohwell:

@stevednmc> update us when you get back and all.
    Goodluck!:)

stevednmc says thanks.
  2. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah...this is my first build without help, (Other than TPUers), So im goin to the school of hard knocks here. So i have updated pictures, let me know what you guys think, maybe I saved my bacon after all?

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

In the left side of the second image, it looks like there might be another bent pin, i am unsure. Damn magnifiying glass is only 3X, best i could find for some reason.
    What do you think?

3. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Looks good . Hit it with the AIR again looks like there is a hair in there .

95Viper says thanks.
  4. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL, yeah i saw that! I havent even hit it with the air yet. Pulled the tim with a needle and the fuzz...VERY nerve racking...But it came out pretty easy. That pin on the right was a bitch! But it finally went as you can see. The other wasnt so bad it went over pretty easy. I think ther is still some of the TIM in there, but its a TINY amount, i dont think itll hurt anything.:cool:

95Viper says thanks.
  5. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Looks a lot better.
    Get that hair outta there and test it.
    Fingers crossed for you.:)

6. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    Something else that works well for pc parts cleaning is brake cleaner in a spray can...cuts most anything and evaporates quickly...compressed air and cleaner all in one.

7. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought about that, but if it get on plastic its over, or paint for that matter. Was unsure if i should risk it...i think i risked enuff already by bein stupid!

@Viper, ittl be a while before i can test it. Unfortunately...But if it doesnt boot ill know why. Im still mid build...I?ve torn this thing apart and rebuilt it a bunch of times!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  8. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I keep this around, for use on my radios, computers, and other electronic cleaning needs.

Quote from CRC

"A petroleum distillate / alcohol based precision cleaner designed as an alternative to CFC based cleaners. Ideal for apps where lower flashpoint materials can be tolerated. Cost effective, plastic safe & residue free."

And, you can pick it up at, just about, any auto parts that carries CRC.
    Ex. Autozone

9. I see SPY!

I see SPY! New Member

Thanks Received:
    That reminded me of when I got a bent pin on my motherboard after disassembling the case for cleanup. Man, I was SWEATING all over the place! Thankfully, using a sewing needle and being very careful I managed to put it back in place. From the lastest pics, seems you have done the same :)

stevednmc says thanks.
  10. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im Feelin pretty good about it...not bad for a fat guy on asthma meds!! (Very shaky!)

11. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    I too would have used some high % alcohol for removing the TIM, some dry electronics spray for example and cotton-tipped swabs as aid but using them only the right way so that the pins woundn´t have gotten covered in more cotton fuss that would have to be removed or pins getting bend.
    For the fuss removal I would have used a sewer needle, going with it between the pins and carefully lift the fuss up with it.

12. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yep sewing needle and steady hand and patient
    thats all you need, and one more pray it works well

13. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Great job on cleaning & putting the pins back in place :toast:
    It is not an easy thing to do when it's that small...:respect:

stevednmc says thanks.
  14. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow! Learn something new everyday! I work with the stuff everyday and didnt know that!

Thats Finally what i ended up doing, not the cotton swabs though. Thats what caused the fuzz in the firstplace, cheap crappy swab. The needle did the trick to remove all the tim and the fuzz.

Thanks much!! It was not fun, and i wish to avoid that situation in the future. Maybe someone can learn from my mistake...I hope!

15. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Stevednmc - I still think that a cotton swab wet from high alcohol would not fuss easily if used in the right direction and pressing power.

I the case of you first post pic the direction is from the top left to the bottom right direction - otherwise the pins would "bite" into the cotton swab and it would create more fuss 100%.

Good think you got the thing cleaned!

16. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    I will remember this if i ever go the Intel way one day , thanks! for the heads up :D ;)