1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help! i7 930 OC became unstable.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by avatar_raq, Jul 18, 2014.

1. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone!

I have the PC in my system specs since early 2010, I only upgraded the OS (from win 7), graphics card (from 5870), sound card (from onboard) and PSU lately.
    Back in 2010 my OC (3.8Ghz @ 1.25v, with load line calibration, turbo, HT and speedstep enabled) was completely stable and thoroughly tested. Several months ago, before I upgraded anything, I started to have BSODs, but they were rare and infrequent. So I ignored them. Now they are more frequent and occur at least once per day. I tried to blame win 8, creative drivers, nVidia drivers, etc, but at the end I tried testing with prime 95 and the PC bsod'ed after ~ 1 hour.

So what happened? Is it normal for OCed CPUs to lose stability overtime?
    What Can I do to fix it? I neither want to go back to stock clocks, especially now that I feel my OCed 930 already bottlenecks my 780 ti in some titles (AC IV for example), nor I am willing to spend $$$ on a brand new system (CPU, Mobo, RAM).
    Can I salvage this situation and maintain the performance of this system, at least for one more year, till the x99/DDR4 systems hit reasonable prices?

2. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    Yes some cpu oc can degrade over time.

I would go back to using windows 7 on a spare drive to test things in your situation.

AC4 from what I have heard performs bad for some.

3. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    So there is a possibility that windows 8 is the cause of P95 instability? :confused::eek:

4. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
    have you checked temps of your cpu. do you remember temps it has an year (for example) ago before bosd start.

5. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I checked, the highest core temp was 79 degrees Celsius and that is after about one hour of p95 test (the first option with max heat and no ram tested, forgot the name). I don't remember the previous temps but I believe that my temps are still ok.

ne6togadno says thanks.
  6. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
  7. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Raise the voltage and get rid of the LLC while you are at it, since that might be why its degrading.

8. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
  9. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
  10. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    The location at which you live is like the surface of the sun in the summer so without proper cooling during these months I would say it could be temp related.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    Yes it is, but I continuously monitor all temps and they are fine. As i mentioned, CPU temps did not exceed 80 degrees Celsius in worst case scenario.
    Out of curiosity, have you been to Iraq before? It is really hot here and it feels way hotter than what the weather forecasts make you believe.

12. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    overclocks degrade over time. give it more volts at that speed or that volts and less speed.

once it's gone there's no coming back from this btw :(

13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Running a CPU at temperatures near 80*C will degrade an Intel CPU over time. Letting temperatures go up that high then back down to idle, then back up that high again and again is what really damages CPUs because its the change in temperature that causes contraction and expansion in the metal in an IC. You should set everything to stock and test stability again and work from there. It's very possible your CPU has degraded over time. Higher LLC will also causes more voltage spikes when load changes, as @Vario already said, that's probably contributing to the degradation. I would try to keep loaded temps at 70*C or less. Don't run it at the upper bound of what it supposed to be run at and prefer lower temps to higher clock speeds if you care about longevity. More volts (or heat) = less life.

14. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    I raised the cpu voltage to 1.3 + LLC enabled and I believe it is stable now. I also noticed that the vCore isn't stable and goes down to 1.28 at idle and up to 1.33 at p95's full load, I don't recall fluctuation of this magnitude when I OCed the 1st time 4 ears ago. Could the mobo has degraded as well? Could it be the real problem not the CPU? I guess it won't make a big difference, I won't spend on an outdated system anyway.

You seem to talk out of personal experience. Please do share!

15. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    There are a lot of other components that "degrade" as well, mainly your MB and power circuitry. I was about to suggest a slight bump in your CPU voltage. Based on the VDroop you are seeing, that indicates LLC isn't working too well (MB).

16. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    So should I leave it at this? Or should I gun for the minimum vCore with LLC disanbled? Even if the latter means higher vCore?

17. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Yes I was in Baghdad and kirkuk lived about 2 1/2 years there. My explanation of iraq is "A prison on planet bull shit."

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    If you are stable with an extra .05v, and temps are manageable, leave it alone and enjoy. Me, I'd be fucking with every setting and ending up with a corrupt hard drive, lol.

19. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
  20. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    Actually I ran it after raising the vCore and the CPU passed the test. It also became stable with several hours of p95 small FFT test.
    So the question now is: should I leave it at this as @Sasqui suggested? Or should I raise the vCore more to achieve stability without LLC?
    Another question: how much do you think that CPU will last on this voltage before becoming unstable again?
    I only wish it to last till I can upgrade the whole system (x99, DDR4 & probably DX12 GPU).

21. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    No way to know. Worst case just keep lowering the clock speed and/or raising the voltage.

22. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Seeing as you ran it for 4 years with no problems, you'll likely keep going fine for more years... if you bump it to 1.35v, you may actually be degrading (whatever it is) even faster.

Vario and avatar_raq say thanks.
  23. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Leave it, if it's stable. Long term heat may be killing the motherboard. There is no way of knowing how long it will last.

Vario and avatar_raq say thanks.
  24. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Yeah consider going to 3.7 instead of 3.8.

25. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Check your Ram. Stop ocing your cpu. Check the code of the bsod