1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help! Is my PSU Dead?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ShiBDiB, Jun 12, 2009.

1. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I plugged in my moms new computer only to see it wont boot at all.

My gut is telling me the psu broke at some point on the move from my house to hers.

When i initially flip the O/- switch in the back on the psu the fans spin and the led flashes on for about 1-2 seconds then they stop, then when i hit the computer power button i get nothing at all.

So is it a fried psu? if so my only hope is a compusa/bestbuy run and deal with their inflated prices.
  2. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most likely, did you filp it once only?
  3. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    no thats the weird thing, if it shorted i can see it flashing once the first time but it still does it with each flip on/off
  4. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Check loose connections first then work from there.

Sound's like it could of popped, or maybe a short from the move. Get a PSU tester and see if the voltages come back ok.
  5. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    ended up going to officemax and spending $50 on a ghetto antec psu... atleast it works
  6. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    First I saw your thread ShiBDiB, I was going to suggest pull the mobo battery for at least 5-10mins and put the cmos jumper in the clear position for that time as well.

Nice to see you got a new psu though, at least you know now it will work. :)
  7. Duxx Guest

Did that fix your problem? My old P4 does that, and I leave it in in ) position for like 5 minutes, then I for 5, then i pray, and push power button. It usually works after 20 minutes, and then as long as i never touch the I/O or unplug from power, it works fine. Hah
  8. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    i think it shorted cause when i brough the computer in it was like a misty fog, so it was problly my dumbness not to let it dry out a bit. But its running fine now, momma gets a new pc, and i get a new rig to fold for me :p