1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help* Is swithing between headphone and desktop capable ?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by popswala, Aug 24, 2012.

1. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll just get right to it. I have a 5.1 hooked up to the rear of the case and a headset with microphone hooked in on front of case. Is there an app somewhere or an easy way to switch between the 2? I don't like the idea of having to unplug the headphone to get my desktop speakers back just to go back in gaming a few hrs later and have to plug the headset back in.

I did some looking around the net and only seen that you have to do some writing and changing in a .ini file. I did come across an app but it didn't work as it was only to change from digital to toselink and whatever other option you already have that's in your playback devices.
    It is a lil annoying and inconvenient to having to plug/unplug when you switch back and forth.

I'm on Win7 Ult X64 if that helps. The rest of the hardware is in my sys specs under my Deep Space rig.

2. josgba2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a 3.5mm extension hooked up to the rear. In the other side I plug/unplug my headset/sound system. When this fail, I just go to buy another 3.5mm extension. On this way, connectors on rear don't suffer.

3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I'm not familiar with the Xonar's Software. I know on my X-Fi I have a setting just for that. Nothing like that?

[​IMG]

4. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    I could plug my headset in the rear but then I'm using both systems together. Or I could plug the headset into the control box for the speakers but they don't work the way its suppose to and I don't know why. I should be able to mute the headset independently but that's a no-go.

I was hoping to find a lil app with a tray icon that I can just switch between them since the speakers are plugged in on rear jack and the headset is using the the front jacks on the case.

Not sure what they had in mind to utilize them separately since i can't figure it out. lol

5. josgba2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Just set whatever you want to use to default in windows control panel, go to sound and then playback devices.
    That's what i do when i want my TV to be the default sound output.

7. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not using the xonar at the moment. I'm running them off the baord at the moment. Forgot to to remove that from specs.

* I do have my speakers set as default but somehow it gets overiden when I plug the headset in. I'll plug them in and see if that changes to fully confirm that.

8. josgba2002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is a pic for what I'm using:

[​IMG]

It must cost 5$ at much

9. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
  10. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Ive got "mute rear output device when a front headphone is plugged in" set, so it auto defaults to the front panel headphone jack for audio even if i have my TV or desktop speakers on. Then if i want to change it i can set it in the windows control panel.

Although a program would be handy i can live with going through a few menus.

11. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    If you use onboard then the realtek audio manager might help you:

[​IMG]

12. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    These are the options I have. When both are plugged in. They're counting the headset and desktop as 1. Instead of giving me separate controls. I'll take a look at the realtek settings.

[​IMG]

13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    look at crap daddy's pic..see where it says "Seperate inputs as independant devices"?

;)

14. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    In realtek settings. I clicked make front and rear output devices play two different audio streams. This way I now have a headphone option. I set my desktop as default. settings.

Now will that give me 2 separate devices as to now I can switch between them? If so, How do I switch them?

15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    use windows CP for playback devices to set each as default when you want to change

16. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    i set desktop as default playback and the headset is set as default communications. Am I not seeing where to switch between them at? lol. Like if i was gaming on my destop and then hopped off to go on teamspeak to use headset.

I take it theres no app/tray icon that lets you easily switch between them with a click or two lol.

17. Bearhug67 New Member

Thanks Received:
    OS software solution

I got also tired of the manual plugging and unplugging of the cables to switch between headset and speakers. So I looked through the menus and came up with this solution were I can leave my headset plugged in and switch on my traybar between speakers and headset:

- Right click on the 'Sound' icon in your traybar and choose 'Playback Devices'
    - In the opening 'Sound' window just right click on your headset unit and choose 'Set as Default Device'.
    - When done with headset use just repeat the two steps with 'Set as Default Device' of your speaker system.

That's all. No need for additional hardware or fumbling at the back of your PC.
    Depending on the setup of your hardware you may have to figure out first which of the icons in the 'Sound' window is for your headset and which for your headset, but that should be very easy.

I hope that helped.
    Happy gaming.
    Bearhug67

P.S.: When you are already there, check by both devices the properties and make sure that both are set on best performance there as Windoze tends to set values often not on the best choices.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    popswala and Kreij say thanks.
  18. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Corsair wireless headset and a Logitech 2.1 system (both always connected) and I do what Bearhug stated in the post above.
    Even if you are "in-game" the sound will switch to the default device as soon as you change it.

Also ... Welcome to TPU Bearhug. :toast:

19. Bearhug67 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Glad it worked for you as well.

I just signed up here as I stumbled by my research over this thread.
    There are so many individual other hard- or software solutions that it is hard to predict which one might work for not.
    I believe in 'Keep it simple' and think this is just the most elegant solution and should work for everyone.

Vielen Dank for the welcome, Kreij :)
    Prost :toast: