1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help Keep Getting Black Screen

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ravingiznotacrime, Mar 9, 2005.

1. ravingiznotacrime New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm having a serious problem and I was wondering if somebody can help me I recently have formatted and reinstalled my system I have a asus a7n8x-x motherboard with an amd2500 barton mobile processor oc to 2.3ghz I also have 512 mb ddr pc3700 memory a sound blaster live card and ati 9800 pro video card it is not overclocked. The problem i'm having is that after the format reinstall I installed my video drivers the 5.1 and I left the direct x as 8.1 I then installed unreal tournament 2004 and when I double click on it it will come up in a window that is half the size of a full screen and it will show the intro and take me into the menu setting now if I were to click on the maximize button my monitor will go to a black screen and my power button will start to flash as if it is a standy by mode or something if I hit ctrl-alt-delete it will bring up the task monitor and I can close the program out no problems. the second thing I tried was installing the direct x 9.0c drivers and installing the new 5.2 drivers now I have done all my windows xp updates except for sp2 and I installed the monitor drivers for my sync master 997df 19inch flat screen now when I do the dxdiags under direct x8.1 everything was fine and passed without a problem now when I tried it again with direct x 9.0c I did the direct 3d accleration and everything passed for test 7,8 but test 9 failed and it said failure at step 32 (user verification of direct 3d rendering) HRREULT = 0x0000000(error code) and I went to more help tap and clicked on override I have then changed the value 3 times one to 60,70,72 nothing has changed now I thought that maybe cd I had was bad so I already bought a copy of star wars rebel commando and I installed it went to go play it double click on the incon and it goes directly to a black screen with the power button flashing so I ctrl-alt-delete out rebooted tried it one more time it then came up in a windows about half the size of the full screen it came up with everything put as soon as I clicked on mazimize the problem came back again. Now I have went in to safe mode and uninstalled all the drivers from there before i went in to normal windows and so i can make sure I was removing everything the onle thing I did notice which probally is not a big deal consider my card has tv out, dvi is I see a secondary monitor on there for some reason I can't remove it I have reseated the video card and the problem is still there. I'm in need of some advice this computer is driving me crazy cause I can't figure out whats going on if anybody has had this problem or knows anything that I haven't tired please reply back with what you know I would greatly apperciate it and thank you in advance

INSTALLED WINDOWS XP PRO EDITION
    FORMAT REINSTALL
    DIRECT X 8.1 tried no go
    Direct X 9.0c tried no go
    ATI VIDEO 4.7 DRivers no go
    ATI VIDEO 4.9 DRIVERS no go
    ATI VIDEO 5.1 driver no go
    GAME STAR WARS COMMANDO
    NEWEST NFORCE CHIP SET DRIVERS WINDOWS XP no go
    newest drivers for monitor no go

2. C&C Freak 2K New Member

Thanks Received:
    I refuse to read a sentence that is more than two lines long. That sentence is more than 10 lines long.

3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    First thing I was wondering too, where the hell did the punctuation go?

4. Nergal New Member

Thanks Received:
    I read it, analyzed it, my response: gl!

5. ReconCX New Member

Thanks Received:
    wha? =)

6. ravingiznotacrime New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry about the long paragraph I was in a hurry and was up all that night and wanted to get to bed. I have fixed the problem and it was so simple and I feel stupid for not thinking about the little things that may have caused the problem to begin with. I had my monitor hooked to a kvm switch and for some reason when I tried to go full screen it would not work. I have disconnected the kvm switch and now everything works thank you for replies on the topic.

also on a side note when somebody is asking for helping if you don't have anything to contribute to the problem at hand don't start posting messages critizing my grammer I thought this was a tech forum and an english classroom. just my two cents l8ter :eek:

7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Actually this is a forum. Nobody is bothered about bad grammar or spelling, just don't make things annoying to read. Using no punctuation is totally unreadable and, as stated above, doesn't really motivate to read something.

The most effective way to get help is to keep the problem short and add as much information as you can.

Though it's odd that the KVM switch is the problem, even without a monitor a computer should be able to swap resolutions and such, perhaps the kvm switch messes with refreshrates or something?