1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help me buy my 32" LED HDTV

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Irish_PXzyan, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Well hello lads! Howz it hanging?!?!
    Ahhh good good!!
    Now!
    lets get started!

I want a HDTV xD Simple! great!
    I want a 32" EDGE LED 1080p 100hz 2ms HDTV! Not asking for much am I? ;)

Right so!
    I was in Sony Center and I found this amazing HDTV for 500 Euros:
    http://www.sony.ie/product/t32-ex-series/kdl-32ex713

It has it all! I was impressed by it's crispy images and style! The HD movie that was being played looked incredible! I truly never saw a screen that looked so sexy!
    I was simply gob smacked by her beauty!

Ahem.. sorry bout that :shadedshu

This one seems to look nice too:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140538889810&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

So here it is, I need suggestions! advice! anything!
    I hope to keep the price tag down to 400 Euro if that's possible!
    500 Euro is grand! But I want to get it as low as possible! :rolleyes:

Discuss!
  2. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    This is TPU right?!?!?! Has no one got any info on edge-lit LEDs or anything???
    Anyone???
  3. bokou

bokou New Member

Thanks Received:
    are you going to be using it as a PC monitor? I was talked out of using an LCD "tv" as a monitor by several people here and on hardforums and was directed to either the 27" 1080p monitors or the 30" dell/hp monitors
  4. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Irish_PXzyan says thanks.
  5. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    whats wrong with plasma, picture quality is still slightly better and there a lot cheaper (seriously panasonic plasma's rule)
  6. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Hihowareyou Laddy!

I love this guy's posts.

Yeah don't rule out plasma.
  7. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    plasma's awesome for games , 500hz FTW!!!

at the end of the day LCD and LED all have issues with picture quality where with plasma the only picture quality issue you'll get is the company cheaping out on parts (so don't buy an LG buy a pansonic or samsung) and bad calibration (look in the picture menu)

response time on a plasma is like 0.0000167 or something like that

Trust me, in movies plasmas and LED's are now almost the same but in games plasma's still look so much better (ever played a shooter or a racer on a 32" lcd or led, blurrrrrrrryyyyyy

(that 2ms response time is gray to grey, not white to black on an LCD)
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  8. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Cheers laddys xD

Firstly! Settle down lads!!! Settled?? good!!
    @happita
    That's a mighty fine looking gal there! I can't find any on ebay!
    I might have a wonder into my local tv store and check if they have any!

@cheesy999
    I know nothing about Plasmas to be honest!
    Perhaps you could point me to some deadly ones?? on ebay if at all possible!! and of course, 400 pounds / 500 euro max!!
    500hz sounds mental!!

@Wrigleyvillain
    Well hello there boyo! howz she cuttin? cuttin well?? good man yourself!

@cheesy999 2nd post
    I hear ya! now if ya wouldn't mind, could ya point me to some of these shexy beasts?? ta!

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Panasonic-TC-P50...tronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item3cb7504cc5

That looks like something special!! and a little over my price range! but wow!!
  9. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Why edgelit and not full backlit? Is it because the full backlit causes the screen to have more physical depth?
    Unless you're a 'modern' freak, then you won't notice it. It's certainly nothing like the original LCD televisions or old plasma models.

Unfortunately Sharp is about the only manufacturer consistenly supporting backlit LED (LE700 family), and even then, that model range was from last year. So you'd be technically buying an outdated set.

As other's mentioned, Plasma is still the way to go for overall image HQ, especially with motion as it retains the resolution better.

LED vs Plasma is simple

LED has better IQ in brighter environments - better contrast to combat ambient light(think projectors) and bring out colors, but it's an unnatural/digitized effect that is only masking the poor brightness standards of LCD and also loses it's resolution in motion more often.
    Plasma has better IQ in darker environments - better blacks to bring out colors, and is a natural soft effect that only fails when the color palette of the source content is poor to begin with and they also retain their resolution in motion more consistently.

My recommendations :

LED Backlit - http://www.go-electrical.co.uk/shar...ght-led-television-in-32-inch-lc32le700e.html
    Finding stock is doubtful

LED Edgelit - http://www.dabs.com/products/sharp-...le&utm_medium=product search&utm_content=Q200
    Not full backlit, but it does have the yellow pixel technology and a viewing angle engine that is better than S-IPS/H-IPS found on 30" computer monitors.

Plasma I will let you look yourself.
    You won't find any 42" with 1080p except Panasonic and they go over 600 Euros easily.
    50" from LG and Samsung work, but they will be more than 500 Euros.
  10. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    yeaqh but he's looking for 32", smallest size for plazma is 37 and that'll cost about 300euro's

yes this is a uk website but it gets the point across http://www.amazon.co_uk/dp/B003I4FD70/?tag=tec053-21

that ones only 720p but he's got about 200 euro's extra to spend so i'm sure he can find a 1080p one

But your right overall plasma's have to be at least 40" to be good

i was gonna post '500 posts' but i'v managed to go from 498 to 510 without noticing
  11. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    my vote is very strongly towards buying a Samsung product. Their customer service alone is worth buying something from them. Any Samsung product I've ever owned has been nothing short of stellar and their CS was flat out amazing at helping me through any issues that I may have run into with them.
  12. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    you've obviously never owned a samsung phone, good but everything they do is soooooooooooo slow its unbelievable:banghead:
  13. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Hence why I posted 32" model links
    The Plasma was a suggestion since the money he's spending will end up being in the same ball-park regardless of what he decides on. Why spend the same on a smaller screen?

There are 37 Plasma, rare Panasonic now called the 37PX80. If he can find that, he will get 1080p, but not likely to be readily available at a realistic price.
    Maybe they have brought another one out I'm unaware of. If so, great, if it's affordable.

Miscellaneous note: 500hz or 600hz isn't all that impressive and is certainly not what most people think initially 'oh 600hz? that's better than 100hz on LED!' It's a bit of a black fake frame gimmick.
  14. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Cheers lads! Good information there!

This is what I am looking at on ebay:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ic_TC_P50VT25_TC_P50VT25_VIERA_3D_Plasma.html

It's 530 euros buy it now on there. Seems very impressive? It's 50" 600hz 1080p. Nothing wrong there??
    But.. why is it so cheap??? why?????
    Is it going to be ruined after a year?? 2 year life span?? or something else??

Those sharps are too expensive! My budget is 400 pounds/500 euro!!
  15. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    You can get the edge 32LE320 for about 500-550 Euro; worth the little extra over Samsung / LG.

That link takes me to a US sales site where the price is $2,195 - obviously as it's a 3D screen.
    Did you mean to link something else?
  16. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    No no! I meant to show it there as it has more details :p
    On ebay it's a total of 538 Euro.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Panasonic-TC-P50...tronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item3cb7504cc5

That's the item one!

Are you sure that Sharp tv would be better? I was checking the cd/m2 ratings for it and it's 250 compared to Sonys 400. also philips 450!!

I will link to all the HDTV's that I am looking at!

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140538889810&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110678196349&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250809221576&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm sure they are great sets!

But now plasma is creeping in!
  17. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:

That's a pretty huge easter 'bargain.' You better try and call them or something and confirm it's legit.
    Logically speaking, where have you seen a 3d plasma television for that price..(528 euro)?
    Also looks like an import. Isn't the "TC" series the name for the ones from North America?; Known as "TX" in Europe.

As for the Sharp and having lower candella(cm/2) that shouldn't matter unless you've got an issue with ambient light(and mostly the 'wash out' affect you might be worried about is controlled by brightness versus ambient light, not contrast versus ambient light).

But you now have some model suggestions. Try go to go somewhere like Dixons, or Richer Sounds or anywhere that has these models on display and look at them(or look again>

And remember this... a lot of modern 1080p look great when viewing native 1080p/blu ray etc.
    Put them on a normal aerial 480 or 720 SD/HD content and they are pretty horrible - more so than some tvs of old. if you goto a store again, ask them to put it on aerial and view 720p HD like BBC and then have them put it on a low rent station with 480p SD. Both should be noticeably poor, even when not in direct comparison to the 1080p image.
  18. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea about the models! I am clueless!
    It does seem a little cheap for what it can do alright. perhaps it's fake or something????

You're right tho, a 3D HDTV should be far more expensive than 538!! If this is really true, shouldn't I buy it right away??
    The same fella is selling another one for bidding. starts at 350 euros. 6 days left and no bids yet.
    I might start there xD

I will check out Sherwoods here and sony center. they are the only ones close by. also D.I.D. have them too! I would need to travel some distance to get out there!

SD is VERY important! I done my research on the philips and sony models, and they both got very good reviews for watching standard TV!! Which is the reason why I am eyeing them both up ;)

I doubt the plasma will be good at it? I suppose it would be a pile of shite! :p

I will head into town 2moro, check out all the models that they have and compare them! I will ask for some SD viewing if I can too!!
    Cheers!
  19. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    id advise against a plasma, my mate got a 50" 3d plasma and now dosnt have his pc on it due to it causing ghosting for a while after being on the desktop for a bit, yeh it fades but not quickly and thats a brand new set too, ive a 32" sony bravia and its the bomb simples(old too but still goin strong).:D
  20. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    your friend should turn the screen saver on

it takes a few hours for image retention to appear on a modern plasma and several days for burn in, if you haven't moved things around in 3 hours+ your friend has a large problem

i have a 32" lcd bravia and those bravias aren't good for gaming unless its a game where you can completely turn motion blur off as the tv's response time means motion blur happens whether you want it or not (racing games where the car in front is just a big blob of colour)

see if you can get something like this in ireland http://www.amazon.co_uk/dp/B003G2DITY/?tag=tec053-21

notice how i said like this (this isn't too great as a tv)(lots of reflections)
  21. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    ^ Yeah.

I'm not totally sure I know that this means but that in no way lessened my delight in reading it.
  22. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Yea I have been reading about these issues with static images, I do not like the sounds of this one little bit! So much in fact, I am really considering throwing away the plasma idea!
    I can only imaging playing RPG games would be pretty shite in the long run!! hmm!! perhaps the 32" LED/LCD screen will be better off!

I don't want motion blur crap, am i going to have that issue no matter what 32" HDTV I buy???

@cheesy999 That plasma is almost the same as the one I am looking at on ebay. I see no difference???
    Do you play games on a plasma?? if so, how is it?? I do not want any weird ghosting or burn in crap!

@Wrigleyvillain I was just asking how you were! ;) haha! xD
  23. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    2011 Plasmas have some issues.

the Panasonic ST30 and GT30 have a problem with luminance shifting. consumers are hoping Panasonic can correct this problem with a firmware update. the Panasonic Euro models have more issues.

Samsung hasn't corrected the MLL rise with 96hz on the PND8000.

the Panasonic VT25 won the 2010 HDTV shootout but if your going to use it as a monitor buy a LCD instead.
  24. georgectr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope you have thrown the idea of plasma away for playing games. There can be burn ins in plasmas this is the only reason I did not buy a plasma tv. The likelihood of a burn - in happening in TVs are relatively low but the risk remains. The risk increases as the image stays on screen for increasing amount of time. Say a health bar, shorcut bar, minimap icons etc. If you are playing any game and leave it open and go away like I do there is a significant risk there. I leave wow login screen for hours when I go for a nap and wake up hours later.

I'd suggest you to buy a lcd-led.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-burnin.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_burn-in
  25. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    it's really simple.

LCD televisions have problems with black levels, motion resolution, blooming, clouding, crosstalk (3D), viewing angles, artifacts and cost.

Plasma televisions have problems with image retention and energy efficiency.

you can still buy the Panasonic 50" VT25 but you can't use it as a monitor. what you can do is mount the television on your desk, connect the Playstation 3 to the television and stream content with your PC.