1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help me choose a case fan. Quick advice needed.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by avatar_raq, Jan 19, 2011.

1. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone.

I have an Antec 902 and one of the front fans is starting to make some faint noise. I'm thinking of buying 2-3 fans to replace my current ones to improve cooling ( i have plans to add another graphics card), but in the same time I do not want to lose the blue LEDs and I want to keep my system as quiet as possible.

So my question is: What is the best 120mm blue LED fan in terms of air flow versus noise? I don't care for the price as long as it's not insanely high.

Please I need your advice ASAP.
    Thanks.

2. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Right now I have a bunch of Yate Loon medium speed LED fans in my case, all hooked to a fan controller. Blue LEDs + quiet on 5V + performance at 12V.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    Are they better than Antec's own tri-cool fans? and by how much ? Can you link me to an online retailer selling them?

4. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got 3 Antec tri-cool ble led 2X80mm and 1X120mm. They are manual switch so iut sucks you have to open the case each time you wanna change speed and after 6 months they begins to make a plasting rattling noise. I would say that cheap and really silent is SilenX Xtrema 120mm full speed 11 decibels or 14 or 17. You choose between those 3 depending of model you like and noise you want vs airflow. I got one 11 decibels from ebay cutted the rpm wire and the plug then used it for my psu. Was good enough to cool it down at 11decibels.

5. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
  6. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I've had about 6 of the blue ones and now I have 5 of the red ones. They move a great deal of air and are quiet but I've always felt like they have been inconsistent. IMO some move more air than others. Same goes for the LED on them.

7. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    Well that's a problem. Is there a difference even if I buy them all together (same batch)?

8. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    All the ones I have bought have been mostly one at a time. I just notice that the ones you're looking at are 69CFM the ones I have are rated at 90CFM.

Look here..........http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=4355

9. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. avatar_raq

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand. Both look the same and have the same max rpm, how come that their CFM is so different?!! Is cooler master bluffing? :banghead:

11. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    The 90cfm was just an exaggerated spec, technically so is the 70 cfm. 55-60cfm is more like it, but that's fine because 90% of the fans out there have fudged specs anyways. The R4 has a very similar noise to performance ratio as the master, the gentle typhoon AP-15. Problem is the sound quality could be better. My suggestion is fan controllers or reducer cables. The R4 is a nice fan but like any sleeve fan is prone to inconsistency and should only be used vertically. Also worth noting is it's not serviceable, if you peel the sticker the plug is sealed shut permanently. Though that may make the oil last longer. My slipstream fans have all gone kaput because of bad sealing.

12. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    CFM specs can be wildly inconsistent. It's just kinda accepted as part of the game.